Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Kindle user, was looking at the nook glow couple questions

I have the paperwhite on preorder but went to look at the nook glow at B&N today just to check it out and have a couple questions. Today was the first time Ive seen a nook and kinda curious on how well built it is. I liked that it had the rubber to help grip it but unsure of how well built nooks are?

Other question is, how easy is it to convert kindle books to nooks? I think I remember a long time ago that it was pretty simple, and maybe Calibre can do it?

Not sure if Ill switch to the nook glow, but knowing answer to these questions would help tremendously in the decision.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
I have a Simple Touch w/out Glo, so it's not exactly the same, but I'm happy with how sturdy the unit is. It's in a faux leather case, and I've dropped it, tossed it across the room onto the couch, etc. and it's fine. Don't throw it off buildings or into walls and you'd probably be fine.

I do hear the Glo-film on the screen of the Glo units is fragile, though I can't speak from experience there.

As for converting Kindle books for the Nook, I do it all the time with Calibre. It's super easy, you just have to make sure your books are DRM-free first (Google Apprentice Alf if you have questions there).

Good luck making your decision.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Yeah thats the thing, Im assuming they are not drm free
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I bought a Glo when they first came out and I have not had any issues with the screen. I carry it around almost every day but I do keep it in a cover. However, when reading I normally take it out of the cover simply because it's lighter.

Most of the concern as far as I can tell came from an article where somebody dropped their TV remote on the cover and somebody else (in order to test it) dropped their keys on the cover. I have been reading with e-books ever since the first Kindle came out and I have yet to drop keys, remotes or any other household items on a screen Glo or otherwise.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote