Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Ebook Ergonomics

A very interesting article on Teleread today.

I use a side opening cover for both my ereaders and a STM Skinny Cover for my iPad. When I settle down for serious reading, I hold my ereader's cover like I would a book and never suffer from wrist issues.

When using my iPad, it rests on my lap as it does get too heavy to hold like a book.

It does boil down to individual experiences but the article is appropriate to all of us really. Well worth a read.

http://www.teleread.com/health-and-f...est-practices/
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Usually these kinds of issues are related to bending your wrist rather than keeping it straight. That's the purpose of keyboard gel pads (to elevate your wrists so they don't bend up when you type. That's also why keyboard drawers (the slide out ones under desks) are used...so you don't have to type in a sit-up-and-beg position. That's also why they will give you a wrist brace if you start to have a problem - it immobilizes your wrist in a straight position.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
That may be so, but those solutions are not really related to holding and using an ereader or an iPad.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I think the point is that it is a posture issue, which is why the keyboard analogies were brought up.

I agree with the article though: the shape and texture of the device influences how you hold it. Both my ereader and tablet have textured backs, which make them easy to rest in the palm of my hand or grip by the edge. The ability to hold it in multiple ways also means that I can change positions regularly.

I disagree with the weight being dismissed. Weight has a large influence upon how the device is held. There is a tendency to hold heavy devices towards the center simply because holding them on the edges creates a much larger torque. It also determines the angle at which you hold your wrist, because certain angles are more efficient for your body to maintain. You don't notice this when the object is light, but you do notice this when the object is heavy.