Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
wiki.mobileread.com on lrf?

It would be nice to see the wiki being translated to a portable device format like lrf for the Sony, PDF, or mobi format for other devices.
I tried downloading the wiki, for offline reading, but it's rather large, and I still have some errors in it.

Maybe the moderators or site owner (or some serious programmers) could offer a solution?

Just wanting to bring the idea out...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It would be nice to see the wiki being translated to a portable device format like lrf for the Sony, PDF, or mobi format for other devices.

I tried downloading the wiki, for offline reading, but it's rather large, and I still have some errors in it.
I've done the same thing in the past, but it too posed many problems, some of which bugged me so much that I abandoned converting the wiki to ebook. (and given the fact that the mobileread.com wiki can now be surf'ed using my EBW1150 and REB1200 readers )

Now, I am a seasoned website copier and have been able to create ebooks from most large websites I have downloaded EXCEPT wikipedia and mobileread's own wiki. (see a pattern here?) A little help from above would be welcomed...

Quote:
Maybe the moderators or site owner (or some serious programmers) could offer a solution?

Just wanting to bring the idea out...
I too would appreciate such an effort. Periodic updates would be reasonably expected; daily updates would be pushing it, no?

p.s. while attempting this undertaking, would it be possible to re-visit the creation of the Mobipocket Download Guide in formats other than .mobi/.prc, namely .imp or .lrf?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

p.s. while attempting this undertaking, would it be possible to re-visit the creation of the Mobipocket Download Guide in formats other than .mobi/.prc, namely .imp or .lrf?
Alex has been overwhelmed at work. That's why he's been absent from the forum for the past 3 weeks. One of the things we're waiting on is a general reorganization of the forum. Impserve/ebookutils is supposed to get its own sub-forum under ebook tools.

I did pester him about it again, earlier today.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
@nrapallo

Wow. I hadn't realized that it's been over 2 months since I suggested the idea.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Nate!

If there is anything I (and others) could do to help spearhead this, please do not hesitate to ask... That's goes for Alexander as well!!!!!

On a related note, I finally got Mobi2IMP to work in linux using wine, so at least that is a starting point. Also, I know Impbuild (part of ebookutils) and my perl scripts (html2imp.pl and opf2imp.pl) work in linux using wine.

I also recently got word2imp.pl to work, so there's a lot of support now for even .doc/.rtf/.txt word documents.

p.s. sorry for hijacking this thread
Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe I'm missing something but what good is an lrf download guide when the Sony can't connect to the net?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
the original topic was not an lrf download guide, but an LRF containing the main pages of the wiki, to read offline.
I have internet on and off, and not always everywhere.

When downloading the wiki.mobileread.com,I have issues with all the PhP files that get downloaded with it, bringing the wiki to nearly 700MB in size.
Probably has to do with the way the wiki is build. I don't have this issue with wikipedia.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but what good is an lrf download guide when the Sony can't connect to the net?
No, you are right, but it may have certain advantages according to Elsi's post here.

BTW, the Imp Download Guide makes sense because the readers supporting the .imp format can now "surf" the internet using Impserve.