Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #61
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I hope you are not talking about Mr Bean?
Are there any books by or with Mr. Bean?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Rowan Atkinson? Apparenty not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Atkinson
Lots of screenplays but no books...yet.
He's too busy playing piano on the world stage.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #63
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I don't know enough Japanese to read in Japanese, but I am determined to get my Japanese knowledge up to speed! I really enjoyed learning Japanese and I do find the time to work on it, but not nearly as much as I would like.
If you enjoy it, you'll be very good at it. I didn't like Katakana at first, but daily reading of Japanese newspaper eventually helped me overcome the problem.

Quote:
Language learning has been a great joy to me, I hope to be able to get back to it soon!
The best thing about learning languages is that they serve as the road to understanding other people's heart.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #64
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have not been able to appreciate the British humor in Mr. Bean.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #65
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Hey, don't be mean and tag it as British Humour... I'm British and have great difficulty with the "humour" of Mr Bean... more like irritation most of the time...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #66
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Many Eastern European SF authors have been translated into German, most notably, Stanisław Lem, whose book Solaris was made into a movie, and the Strugatzky brothers.
Most Jules Verne books have been translated into German and are available for free at amazon.de and Projekt Gutenberg.
Also many German SciFi/Fantasy short stories and novels by Kurd Laßwitz (a contemporary of Jules Verne) are available here at MR.
Sapkowski's witcher is (in contrary to English) already completely translated too.
I have read the 1st two books in their german translation (too) and have a high opinion on the translator's work. He definitely manages to catch and transfer overall feeling or flavour of the witcherverse and the characters. Don't even know how to express how I mean that in English...
I'd definitely recommend it to every german-literate reader unwilling to wait until the English translation of the saga is finished.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #67
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The best thing about learning languages is that they serve as the road to understanding other people's heart.
Well, at least it gets you a wider selection of friends. Good enough for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
British humour tends to be based on irony, rather than being "in your face" like American TV humour is. It's been my experience that many Americans struggle with it. (That's not a criticism - it's simply a cultural thing.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
British humour tends to be based on irony, rather than being "in your face" like American TV humour is. It's been my experience that many Americans struggle with it. (That's not a criticism - it's simply a cultural thing.)
And Mr. Bean is for me "in your face" which is probably why I do not like him.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #70
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Hey, don't be mean and tag it as British Humour... I'm British and have great difficulty with the "humour" of Mr Bean... more like irritation most of the time...
No, I was only indicating my inability to understand his humor/humour.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And Mr. Bean is for me "in your face" which is probably why I do not like him.
The "Gold standard" for British humor, Benny Hill, was both. At times "in your face", at other times subtle and based on irony.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-09-2012 at 12:54 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #72
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The Gold Standard for British humor has to be Fawlty Towers.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The "Gold standard" for British humor, Benny Hill, was both. At times "in your face", at other times subtle and based on irony.
And therein is a perfect illustration of what I mean. I've met many Americans who think that Benny Hill was hilarious; I've never met anyone in the UK who could stand it .
Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #74
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And therein is a perfect illustration of what I mean. I've met many Americans who think that Benny Hill was hilarious; I've never met anyone in the UK who could stand it .
Well, are you trying some British humor on us? After all, he had one of the longest running shows in the UK.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, are you trying some British humor on us? After all, he had one of the longest running shows in the UK.
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that, but I don't know who it appealed to. It makes me cringe to watch it . I suppose some people must have liked it, as you say.