Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I don't use Windows at all, but from what I understand, the Windows binaries that NiLuJe publishes are self-contained. So normally, they should simply work, regardless of your Windows version.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Yep, they work fine on Windows!
Just use the plain old CMD!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I don't use Windows at all, but from what I understand, the Windows binaries that NiLuJe publishes are self-contained. So normally, they should simply work, regardless of your Windows version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Yep, they work fine on Windows!
Just use the plain old CMD!
Thanks, will check that out then. For now I will make it DIY instructions for anyone to try out before I pack it up.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #34
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
For me. I had to take note of..

Quote:
If you want to do it the hard way:

Get libarchive-3.0.4 from http://libarchive.github.com/
Configure it (I do a minimal build for the binary packages: ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-xattr --disable-acl --with-zlib --without-bz2lib --without-lzmadec --without-iconv --without-lzma --without-nettle --without-expat --without-xml2)
Build it
DON'T install it
Instead, create an includes directory in KindleTool/KindleTool/
Copy archive.h & archive_entry.h from the libarchive-3.0.4/libarchive directory in that includes directory
Create a lib directory in KindleTool/KindleTool/
Copy libarchive.a from the libarchive-3.0.4/.libs directory in that lib directory
(it is there... really...)
And finally, make clean && make in KindleTool
with that it builds great.

Thanks for the tips.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DuckieTigger: The 'mingw' binaries are native, like silver18 said, you can run them in your favorite native Windows terminal . (One thing of note, though: it'll probably horribly break on anything non-ASCII, and even then, some libarchive output might be mangled [char vs wchar, and all the fun it implies])..

The 'cygwin' binaries, on the other hand, will only run inside a cygwin shell, but should be as 'stable' as any other POSIX build, so, if you encounter a weird error with the native binary, it can't hurt to check if a POSIX-friendly build fails in the same way .

@twobob: IIRC, there's now a separate buildscript (tools/simple-linux-static-build.sh) that handles that automagically, because there's apparently a staggering number of Linux distro out there running out of date software ;D.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe: welcome back

... and to add a bit more to the stress, could you please take a look at this post and the follow-ups? Bottom line is that there seems to be a B01F Paperwhite out there (japanese 3G model), which doesn't seem to be supported yet (though I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have, I'm just assuming that's the reason).

If so, could you please include support for that model, and release the binaries? That'd be very much appreciated... Thanks a ton!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab: Thanks!

Ah! I've been expecting this one to pop up for quite some time now, so I'm glad to finally have it pinned down!

Japanese 3G PW support has been added to github. No ETA yet on the next binary release, but it probably won't happen until the next couple of weeks.

(@ixtab: If you really need Linux binaries, I can probably rush those tonight).
Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(@ixtab: If you really need Linux binaries, I can probably rush those tonight).
Yeah, that would really be great! I'm currently looking at the JBPatch stuff - thanks to Amazon, everything got broken again with the new FW, of course , but I'd really like to release a version that works for everyone (as of now).

Spoiler:

ixtab@linux:~/kindle/git/JBPatcher/dist$ ldd `which kindletool`
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf777f000)
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => /lib32/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 (0xf760a000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.1 (0xf75f5000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7494000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7490000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7780000)

^ That's the one I'm referring to. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #39
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

@twobob: IIRC, there's now a separate buildscript (tools/simple-linux-static-build.sh) that handles that automagically, because there's apparently a staggering number of Linux distro out there running out of date software ;D.

me@dev ~/GIT/KindleTool $ git pull
me@dev ~/GIT/KindleTool/tools $ ./kindletool-static-build.sh
Quote:
blah...
me@dev ~/GIT/KindleTool/KindleTool/Release $ ./kindletool --help
Quote:
...blah
-d, --device pwgj Kindle PaperWhite Wifi+3G Japan
-d, --device kindle5 Alias for k5w, k5g, k5gb, pw, pwg & pwgb
-d, --device touch Alias for k5w, k5g & k5gb
-d, --device paperwhite Alias for pw, pwg & pwgb
nice one.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Updated the first post with Linux & Windows binaries (for now). OS X users, beware of the filename .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
ixtab
(offline)

Thank you so much!

Using version 1.5.6-linux-i686-openssl-0.9.8 right now.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released 1.5.7, with Canadian 3G PaperWhite support .

(Still no up to date OS X binaries until I get my hands on a Mac, though...).
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #43
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@NiLuJe, make a heroic attempt, rewrite it in Go. You'll get for free: compress, archive and crypto support in standard library, statically linked binaries, easy and fast cross-compiling for Windows, Linux, OS X.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
█ ♣ █

On behalf of B01C's. Thanks.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #45
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
On behalf of B01C's. Thanks.

Canada Rocks.

Tags
kindletool, update