Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
dbReader
dbReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
eReader makes me read faster

I'm a bookworm and use e-reader for a long time already. I read books 2x faster from my Kindle. Just now have found and posted about similar opinion from a school librarian.

Please share your experience. The same effect with your e-readers?
dbReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think it does make me read faster, but at the same time it makes me give up on books more often. I have so many loaded onto my kindle that I know it would take for ever to read them.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I find that I read much faster on my iPad than I did on my Sony 650. I can't say if it is only the backlit screen, the pure white background, or perhaps a combo of both, but I can read non-stop for hours and hours. When using the eink display I could go for about an hour before needing a break. I just seemed to be unable to keep a constant and comfortable focus.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Strange....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Yes, definitely faster - much easier to skim pages in books where there are subplots in which I'm not interested, author goes off on tangents, gets a bit bogged down etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think I read a little faster, I certainly read almost everyday now that I have a reader. But I still read quite slowly compared to some.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
No, I'm the usual slow reader as ever (although being a bookworm).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
nope - but i was fast with paper already.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It doesn't make me read faster, but it does make me read more books than ever before. If anything, easy access to to dictionary lookup makes me read slower
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
i read fast, especially on a train or a plane
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I'm not sure whether I read faster or not - I don't really keep track. But I wouldn't be surprised if I did - the ability to choose the optimal font size for my mood/lighting, etc. should make my reading marginally faster, I would assume.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Aylalake
Aylalake began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4S
Coincidentally I was thinking this morning that I am reading for longer periods and much faster than previously. I have had my KT for a week tomorrow and I have devoured Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic in that time! Because it's easier to take my slim KT to work, I am reading every lunchtime now, and I find I can read for longer before my eyes get tired.
Aylalake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I feel like I read a bit faster with the ereader. But, at the same time, I wonder if it's just a placebo kind of thing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I think it does make me read faster, but at the same time it makes me give up on books more often. I have so many loaded onto my kindle that I know it would take for ever to read them.
I think I do read faster and more because I have a reader, but like you said I'm more likely to give up books, especially free Classic books that I would have otherwise payed for.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I actually think I read a bit slower with the eReader. Or at least I did until I got my Sony 950 with the larger screen. While many find it easier to have a smaller mass of text in front of them, I don't mind it (as long as it's decently formatted and not just one huge mass) and take it in "in chunks" rather than word by word. "Too little" content on each page slows me down.
HOWEVER I don't consider that a problem AT ALL! If I hadn't had my eReaders I wouldn't have been able read as much as I do due too eye problems. I don't give a toss if it takes me twice as long (it doesn't, it's nowhere near that much difference) to read the book, as long as I actually CAN read it!!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote