Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #24856
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Sign that the world is in bad shape:

I just went to a local store and bought an item that totaled up to $1.10. I handed the clerk $2.00 and she keyed this in and the cash drawer opened. She seemed to freeze up for a moment peering down into the cash pan and then back up to the display which was showing 0.90 as change due.

I could see that she had full change slots of pennies, nickles and quarters; just no dimes. And three quarters and a nickle would have fulfilled my need for ninety cents change back. And there were plenty of everything except the missing dimes.

She asked me to hold on a minute and took a $20 from her cash drawer and walked back to a different area behind the counter and began trading out for a round of change. For those unfamiliar it consists of: one $10 roll of quarters, one $5 roll of dimes, one $2 roll of nickles and 2 $.50 rolls of pennies with two $1 bills to round it out.

I waited patiently, wondering the entire time why she decided to re-stock the change at this particular moment. She finally came back and emptied the roll of dimes into the cash pan, placed the other rolls of change alongside some other rolls of change already in the drawer and promptly counted out nine dimes to me for my change.

I took this to mean two things:

First, the clerk does not understand how to make change properly by giving the maximum of largest value coins down to smallest value (three quarters and a nickle, or just four coins instead of all dimes for nine coins).

Second, instead of trading out equal money amount for a single roll of missing coins, she was following a set of change-collecting instructions. If all she needed was dimes, she could have just gotten one roll for a $5 bill.

I wonder if she will eventually use the extra change through the rest of her shift or if, at the end of each work day, she turns in several rolls of coins during her count-down.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #24857
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Sign that the world is in bad shape:

I just went to a local store and bought an item that totaled up to $1.10. I handed the clerk $2.00 and she keyed this in and the cash drawer opened. She seemed to freeze up for a moment peering down into the cash pan and then back up to the display which was showing 0.90 as change due.

I could see that she had full change slots of pennies, nickles and quarters; just no dimes. And three quarters and a nickle would have fulfilled my need for ninety cents change back....
Not to nit-pick, but three quarters and three nickles would have made 90¢.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #24858
badgoodDeb
Wizard
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1, K3, K4s, iPad, iPhone 5
[ Well, err, technically she owed you three quarters and three nickels, if she didn't have dimes. ] But still, I get your point.....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #24859
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A727 tablet, Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I took this to mean two things:

First, the clerk does not understand how to make change properly by giving the maximum of largest value coins down to smallest value (three quarters and a nickle, or just four coins instead of all dimes for nine coins).
More to the point, she can't do the math in her head and understand that three quarters and three nickles would be the 90 cents change.

90 cents is nine dimes or ninety pennies...

Quote:
I wonder if she will eventually use the extra change through the rest of her shift or if, at the end of each work day, she turns in several rolls of coins during her count-down.
Retail establishments I've seen use a system where the clerk, on changing shifts, turns in the entire cash drawer, and the new clerk coming on inserts one specific to them. It provides greater accountability in the event there is a shortage or overage.

But meanwhile, I've been grateful many times that current cash registers calculate change so check-out clerks don't have to, because most can't.

(I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment, and the clerk doesn't have to make change.)

One retailer in my area is going a step farther, with self-serve checkout stations, where you can scan the barcodes on your goods, get a total, and use a debit or credit card to make payment, with no need to interact with a clerk. (There's an employee standing by if assistance is needed, but one can cover multiple self-serve stations.)

I'm happy to use them for faster checkout. The employer is happy to pay less people to man the registers, which is the point of the exercise.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #24860
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Not to nit-pick, but three quarters and three nickles would have made 90¢.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
[ Well, err, technically she owed you three quarters and three nickels, if she didn't have dimes. ] But still, I get your point.....
Thank you! I kept reading that to see what I had missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
More to the point, she can't do the math in her head and understand that three quarters and three nickles would be the 90 cents change.

90 cents is nine dimes or ninety pennies...

Retail establishments I've seen use a system where the clerk, on changing shifts, turns in the entire cash drawer, and the new clerk coming on inserts one specific to them. It provides greater accountability in the event there is a shortage or overage.

But meanwhile, I've been grateful many times that current cash registers calculate change so check-out clerks don't have to, because most can't.

(I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment, and the clerk doesn't have to make change.)

One retailer in my area is going a step farther, with self-serve checkout stations, where you can scan the barcodes on your goods, get a total, and use a debit or credit card to make payment, with no need to interact with a clerk. (There's an employee standing by if assistance is needed, but one can cover multiple self-serve stations.)

I'm happy to use them for faster checkout. The employer is happy to pay less people to man the registers, which is the point of the exercise.
______
Dennis
There is no way in HELL I would take over someone else's cash drawer in any circumstance!

We have the self serve registers here and I love them! I'd nothing else it keeps them from putting plastic bags in my personal shopping bag
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #24861
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
Went to Home Depot a few years ago to get some replacement bolts for my son's chair. It was from Ikea, so I needed metric threaded bolts -- not the run of the mill here in the States, but available. Home Depot had a tiny plastic bag with four bolts inside pretty cheap, so that was the way to go!

There was only one "regular" checkout station, and that had quite a line. There were four self service stations, so that's where I went. At the prompt I scanned the tiny little baggie of screws. It then prompted me to put the scanned item in the bag. I did.

It insisted again that I put the item in the bag. Since I only had one item I tried to take it out of the bag. The computer demanded that I put the item back in the bag -- which I did.

Then the computer insisted that I put the baggie of screws into the bag. And the hilarity continued.

I called the store employee over.

I really try not to use the self-checkout lines unless I really have to.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #24862
BuyMore
Cheapo Boo
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Went to Home Depot a few years ago to get some replacement bolts for my son's chair. It was from Ikea, so I needed metric threaded bolts -- not the run of the mill here in the States, but available. Home Depot had a tiny plastic bag with four bolts inside pretty cheap, so that was the way to go!

There was only one "regular" checkout station, and that had quite a line. There were four self service stations, so that's where I went. At the prompt I scanned the tiny little baggie of screws. It then prompted me to put the scanned item in the bag. I did.

It insisted again that I put the item in the bag. Since I only had one item I tried to take it out of the bag. The computer demanded that I put the item back in the bag -- which I did.

Then the computer insisted that I put the baggie of screws into the bag. And the hilarity continued.

Lol! Epic failure!
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #24863
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post

Thats when a well placed finger on the scale where the bags are comes in handy. What was that Stitchawl was saying about old age and treachery?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #24864
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'm also grateful that increasingly, credit or debit cards are used for payment.

That's something I admit I don't understand. I do have both but never use them in meatworld shopping. Recurring payments go directly from my account, credit card is for web based purchases. For everything else cash is just fine. Why should I:

a) leave my pin/name/signature/whatever at every place I decide to get my bread, butter or the new pack of socks from?

b) having the hassle of feeding all that data in, where handing over a/some bill(s) or a handful of coins would suffice.

c) same goes for my shopping lists ending up in my bank account and dunno where else.

Unless one's going to buy something worth several thousands or tens of thousands (Those who really have that much money around there is no risk money would become too cumbersome to to carry. There are enough bills with higher denominations both in american and european countries.

I've noticed this attitude being presented in several US located movies:
When you pay cash, there's something wrong with you. Your are suspicious.

Do. Not. Understand. Really, no US bashing behind it or something like that. I just don't understand this aversion

So c'mon folks enlighten me - what's wrong with cash?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #24865
red_phoenix
Flameless Phoenix
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That's something I admit I don't understand. I do have both but never use them in meatworld shopping. Recurring payments go directly from my account, credit card is for web based purchases. For everything else cash is just fine. Why should I:

a) leave my pin/name/signature/whatever at every place I decide to get my bread, butter or the new pack of socks from?

b) having the hassle of feeding all that data in, where handing over a/some bill(s) or a handful of coins would suffice.

c) same goes for my shopping lists ending up in my bank account and dunno where else.

Unless one's going to buy something worth several thousands or tens of thousands (Those who really have that much money around there is no risk money would become too cumbersome to to carry. There are enough bills with higher denominations both in american and european countries.

I've noticed this attitude being presented in several US located movies:
When you pay cash, there's something wrong with you. Your are suspicious.

Do. Not. Understand. Really, no US bashing behind it or something like that. I just don't understand this aversion

I love my debit card. Especially when I fill up the car with gas and the total is different every time. I do not have to worry if I have enough money to pay if I use a debit card.

If I have cash on me I spend it with no idea where it went.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #24866
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I have to go to the bank to get it (an extra step), I have to monitor how much I have on me all the time, if it's stolen it's gone, and I don't get reward points. Most of our money goes on stuff where the price is the same for credit or cash - and the reward points for credit card shopping add up to a significant Xmas bonus for us every year.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness