Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Really enjoyed "The Martian" by Andy Weir

I just have to plug this SF novel. It has about the worst possible book description on Amazon.com ("The adventures of an astronaut stranded on Mars"), so I would imagine that most folks will give it a pass. I'm here to tell you that this could be among the best 99 cents you'll ever spend.

I know that "hard" SF isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's usually not mine either, but I found this e-book to be "un-put-downable." It's a credible story of human endurance and ingenuity in the face of insurmountable odds. The characters were compelling, and I found myself really rooting for the hero.

Two thumbs up (and I'm hard to impress. I seem to be one of the very few around here on MR who didn't love "Wool.")
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I have to second this recommendation.

Just finished it and wow! Really enjoyed it. Characters well drawn, great pace, sprinkling of humour throughout that really works well without disrupting the story and very believable. In fact I would almost believe the author has worked at NASA. It's been described as "Castaway meets Apollo 13" and I would say that's pretty accurate if a little trite.

As a debut novel it is very good if a wee but unpolished.(comes from being originally self published I would say)
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Purchased; sounds good.

Note, it's available today on Google Play UK for just £2:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=gdxlAQAAQBAJ

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Thanks, purchased it, looks good. I have been searching for a good hard sci-fi after Old Man’s War (which I read last month).
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks for the recommendation, curtw. Just read the book summary on Amazon. It sounds like a great read.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've been hearing good things about this--from people who tastes in books often intersect with my own.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's the new Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-No...dy+weir+kindle

The publisher is Crown, and the price is $9.99.

It looks (perhaps?) that the author has hit the big time.

The cover is now different, too.

Andy Weir is the author.

ADDED: It appears as if the film rights have been negotiated, which would account for a well-known publisher taking it up and with a newer, higher price.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The success of Gravity might have helped.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
+1

I started The Martian by Andy Weir last Saturday and I've been reading it non-stop during my spare time (of which I have had little). I've got less than 10% to go, so unless it really takes a dive, I'd say it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years.

That said, I worked in the space industry for more than 10 years, so it's a topic that I can really relate to. There are many info-dumps in this book that some readers may find dull and boring, but for me they're gold.

Oooh, lunch time. Back to reading . . .
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I just have to plug this SF novel.
[...]
I know that "hard" SF isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it's usually not mine either, but I found this e-book to be "un-put-downable." It's a credible story of human endurance and ingenuity in the face of insurmountable odds. The characters were compelling, and I found myself really rooting for the [...]
+1
Read this a couple of months ago, when a friend recommended it.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I read the self-published version last year and really liked it, I am wondering how it has changed by being traditionally published. If anyone has read both versions (or wants to lend me the new version ) I would love to hear a comparison.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Not available at Kobo for the Sony Reader. But it is available at Sony as long as you get it by 20 Mar.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Not available at Kobo for the Sony Reader. But it is available at Sony as long as you get it by 20 Mar.

It's available at Kobo UK.

I just now checked.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
*ack* kepubs.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I bought it from the US Kobo store but it wouldn't download. Called Kobo and they said that particular book is not readable on the Sony. When I asked why their web site didn't indicate which books didn't work on the Sony all I heard was crickets.

Making me think I might want to transfer to the Kindle rather than a Kobo.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote