Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #31
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I don't get this all-in-one craze at all. I always take my smartphone, my reader - AND my iPod Classic with me, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #32
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Want to bet they leave out the audio capabilities for five main reasons?

1. It's cheaper.

2. Much greater battery life for the e-ink display without audio playing. It amounts to continuous, except when buffering, sdhc usage when playing where the sdhc could probably be powered down between chapters or files as most books are organized. This might also help explain greater battery drain with books that are stored as only one large file.

3. DRM - Most music has DRM at point of sale and probably requires licensing on each player and a greater investment on the server side in a marketplace that is probably already dominated and in certain cases proprietary. While a potential source of income, maybe not such a great proposition for other reasons.

4. Audio Book DRM - see above. It may be that previous incarnations were not profitable for music and audio books.

5. There are so many sources of music or noise in most peoples daily lives that adding another seems rather superfluous and probably isn't enough of a wow feature to get people to buy a particular reader. That said, it's not a terrible idea to support audio books if you make tablets since the hardware is already there and probably of decent quality. See number 1.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #33
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
3. DRM - Most music has DRM at point of sale and probably requires licensing on each player and a greater investment on the server side in a marketplace that is probably already dominated and in certain cases proprietary.
Which big players are still putting digital restrictions on their music? And how are they managing to compete against Apple/Amazon while doing so?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #34
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes. There is no more DRM on music sold - or, Apple at least sells all music without DRM these days (though they were dragged kicking and screaming into this new world). The publishing business could learn from this.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #35
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two things;

1) FASTER! I never know if my touch didn't register, or if it's just taking its sweet ass time changing the page

2) A setting or method to turn the Kobo on direct to the page you are on the book. It takes me a realistic 30-60 seconds to get to reading a page from off mode
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
2) A setting or method to turn the Kobo on direct to the page you are on the book. It takes me a realistic 30-60 seconds to get to reading a page from off mode
Why do you turn it off? Just let it sleep and it will come back to exactly where you left it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #37
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Have you tried just using sleep rather than turning the device right off? The battery hit is pretty small and it gives you instant on to the page you were reading (assuming you don't have a specific reason for turning it completely off).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #38
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry folks, last time I checked Apple & Amazon they still had DRM or at least you had to import process through iTunes, etc. I have no hardware that is Apple or Amazon specific, so afraid I was a bit behind the times on that point. Those were the two I was thinking of. But I bet the point about DRM for audio books still applies.

I'm not a supporter, I'd greatly prefer that eBook DRM was done away with in it's current form in the interest of providing readers with rights more closely structured like paper books. Further, I'd like very much for ereaders to have the ability to vocalize any ebook, especially for those that depend on that function due to vision related illness or the like.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Here is my serious take:

Lets go ahead and call it the Kobo Color

You have the Kobo Color 9 (9" screen) and the Color 7 (7" Screen) and Color 5 (5")
Standard on all models:
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.5 GHz
- Screen: E Ink Triton 2 Color with Smooth Video Playback
- Memory: 16GB (9") and 8GB (7", 5")
- Body Colors: Black or Onyx
- Micro SD Slot capable of 64GB
- File Formats: EPUB, PDF, MOBI (Also, all texts, images, comics)
- Video Formats: MP4, Flash, MOV, AVI
- GPS
- WiFi and LTE in 9" and 7" Models, WiFi only in 5"
- Capacitive touch with a non-glare screen.

Software:
- Google Maps
- Youtube
- Evernote
- Pocket
- Web Browser
- Twitter/Facebook Integration with EPUBs
- Sync to PC over WiFi (GET RID of the Cables)

- Proximity Book sharing (you and a friend's Kobo get close to each other, you can share books. Limit this to 1 book share per account to 1 other account at a time).

- Kobo Aware: Enable bookstores and Airport book vendors to "broadcast" book previews in a proximity fashion to kobo users. A user walks up to a bookstore or stand in the airport, opens "Kobo Aware" on their Kobo Brand device, and the eBook versions of the books in front of them pop up. They can preview the book via that specific store. If they purchase the eBook then or later, that store/vendor gets 30% of the sale.

- Kobo Newsstand: For a monthly $9.99 subscription, Kobo users can choose up to 3 newspapers or magazines to subscribe to. Each additional increases the monthly subscription fee by $1.99. The magazines / newspapers can display custom ads based on previous book purchases and article viewing (customization that can be turned off by the user in the Privacy Settings).
-----------------------------

Overall Brand Revamping:

- Rename the Kobo Arc series to "Kobo Tablet / Tablet 7 / Tablet HD"

- Standardize the eReaders on "Kobo Color". When consumers come to your website, they have a simple 2x3 choice grid: "Tablet or Color" in 5", 7" , or 9" (Revamp the Arc-> Tablets to the 7" and 9" sizes too).

-----------------------------

Kobo Color, and Kobo Tablet. Sharing, Free-range purchasing, simple models. Dominate.
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Further, I'd like very much for ereaders to have the ability to vocalize any ebook, especially for those that depend on that function due to vision related illness or the like.
I just use my android phone with Ivona TTS and Mantano (or Moon+) when I want this option. Works a treat making those household chores slightly less tedious
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
TechniSol

I never really thought about it on my phone as it has a relatively small battery, only 1230 mAh or so... I have played around a few times on my tablets.

Honestly, I read a lot faster than seems practical to listen, and I read for enjoyment on the ereader.

Last edited by TechniSol; 02-18-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #42
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Have you tried just using sleep rather than turning the device right off? The battery hit is pretty small and it gives you instant on to the page you were reading (assuming you don't have a specific reason for turning it completely off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Why do you turn it off? Just let it sleep and it will come back to exactly where you left it.
Upon thinking about it, I came to these thoughts when I first got my kobo last year, so the firmware has come far since then. But I did it because it seemed like the battery life would be drastically different if I would power it down when done reading vs sleeping. I only read maybe 1-2 times a day for 30 minutes each time as I normally read in transit. It would be the difference between a week to two with sleep vs a month or more of battery powering off.

Either way, it'd be a feature I'd want even if I'm wrong for turning it off vs letting it sleep
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #43
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Ultimate New Kobo

So lots of ideas are here, so what would the most wanted top ten features would you want in your Ultimate Kobo, and it must include the Hover and added bonus feature Follow Me feature(where the device hovers and follows you around)

Lets keep it going

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #44
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For German readers: a feature that transforms the entire text from the new spelling rules (which are a real pain, keyword "Deppenleerzeichen" and e.g. 'aufwändig', 'Stängel', 'Quäntchen', 'Gräuel', 'kennen lernen', 'los lassen' and thousands more) automatically to the old spelling rules.
At the moment, I have to perform it semi-automatically, and it needs about one hour for 500 pages.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 03-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #45
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I feel like my wish list should be entirely do-able, but I can't find a reader that does it all. I'm currently using Marvin on my iPad because of how well it can deal with my entire library and sort it into collections, but I'd much rather have an e-ink device.

What I would like:

1. SD slot
2. Front-lit and sturdy, i.e. no mysterious bright pin-holes appearing
3. Able to sort my books into collections and browse them QUICKLY

That's really it, but it seems those three items together are a deal-killer for e-ink readers. I bought an Aura HD to try, but it has the 3.2 firmware so I can't yet install the hacks to use an alternate reader program. Even though it has an SD slot I can't imagine putting my entire library on there like I want to, as adding 20 books caused the Kobo to spend 10 minutes "indexing" them before it was ready to be used. I'm pretty sure it would have a seizure of some sort if I dumped 5k+ on there.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote