Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Android spanking iOS in world's BIGGEST mobile market

Quote:
Android is absolutely creaming iOS in the world’s biggest mobile phone market, according to new stats from Beijing-based Analysys International, which estimate the Google platform now accounts for nearly 70 per cent of Chinese smartphones.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Frankly, the only reason why the iPhone (and smartphones in general) have major marketshare in the US is because people don't have to pay full price for the device. If people had to pay full price for it (iPhone 4 8GB: $549; iPhone 4S 16GB: $649, 32GB: $749, 64GB: $849), there'd be a lot less people using the iPhone.

Meanwhile, you can buy low-end Android phones for as low as $100 without contract.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
you can buy low-end Android phones for as low as $100 without contract.
As low as $50 on sale. I paid $70 for mine, and use it like an iPod. It's quite sufficient for audiobooks, simple games, FBreader in the doctor's office. (It also paid for itself, since I use it to run an app for a site to which I belong, making a buck a day.) I never use it as a phone, since I'm not the phone type.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
As low as $50 on sale. I paid $70 for mine, and use it like an iPod. It's quite sufficient for audiobooks, simple games, FBreader in the doctor's office. (It also paid for itself, since I use it to run an app for a site to which I belong, making a buck a day.) I never use it as a phone, since I'm not the phone type.
I do the same thing with my older Android phone. It's a great little media thing for one of the kids to sit in the back seat and watch cartoons on.

I see cheap Android phones all the time, and will often do a quick Google search to see how well they hold up and if they have better specs/performance than my old phone to see if it's worth "upgrading" for a bigger screen or something.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
What? No mention of Microsoft's feeble attempt at a phone OS? ;-) It's nice to see the situation reversed in the phone space as compared to the desktop. Now if only MS can be unseated from their desktop monopoly, the sweetness would be complete.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Android has really matured over the past months, it's heads and shoulders above the competition.

Those who think that iOS is easier to use and "just works", should watch this video.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Android has really matured over the past months, it's heads and shoulders above the competition.

Those who think that iOS is easier to use and "just works", should watch this video.
Good video, I agree with everything he said, however he does really highlight Android strengths, though they are features that are very important to me.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I think it will take 2 years more for Android to really reach its true potential as Google is slowly removing stuff from android that hinders or takes time for OEM to modify. One of the major reason that majority of the people are still using gingerbread. And still manufacturers are releasing new devices with gingerbread.
In 2 years I expect Android to reach a point where it can be updated over the air without breaking the skins and mods put in by OEM over it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I think it will take 2 years more for Android to really reach its true potential as Google is slowly removing stuff from android that hinders or takes time for OEM to modify. One of the major reason that majority of the people are still using gingerbread. And still manufacturers are releasing new devices with gingerbread.
In 2 years I expect Android to reach a point where it can be updated over the air without breaking the skins and mods put in by OEM over it.
ICS has already taken steps in that direction, the OEMs have to agree to somewhat more stricter rules when releasing Android phones so there is less divergence and hence it is easier to upgrade devices further down the road.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

Even knowing all of the stuff in the video, having been an Android user, I switched to iOS and haven't looked back. I found that, for me, the consistency of performance and behavior far outweighed all of the things that he pointed out.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Good video, I agree with everything he said, however he does really highlight Android strengths, though they are features that are very important to me.

=X=
Yes, great video. Don't miss Part 2 and Part 3.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:

I did watch it. & I have always thought ICS was beautiful, & wish my iOS device would do a few of the things it doe. But he was not completey honest in a few areas or may just not have known how to properly use iOS.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, great video. Don't miss Part 2 and Part 3.
So I'm watching part 2. Ummm, I can do quite a bit of what's he's saying. Lol. He is not even close to being honest or really doesn't know how iPhone works. Seriously, I'll give him plenty of pluses the android category, but c'mon.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
So I'm watching part 2. Ummm, I can do quite a bit of what's he's saying. Lol. He is not even close to being honest or really doesn't know how iPhone works. Seriously, I'll give him plenty of pluses the android category, but c'mon.
He said more than once that he had an iPhone for three weeks. He was also showing an iPad 3 -- if that was his first iPad he may have had a combined experience of less than a month on iOS, which isn't much.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
He said more than once that he had an iPhone for three weeks. He was also showing an iPad 3 -- if that was his first iPad he may have had a combined experience of less than a month on iOS, which isn't much.
Yeah I know. Which is why I'm confused as to his half truths. He said you can save a link on the desktop & then have it on the phone. iOS can do this. He mentioned having all of his bookmarks sync'd between devices, while he didn't mention specifically that iOS can't do this, he is creating a device vs device video, point is that this can also be done with ios. He says you can't buy an app on the desktop & have it automagically go to your iOS device, wrong, it's entirely possible. He was trying to copy an address in a different browser without success & making it the fault of ios, this is wrong, in safari this can be done. He has that search bar up top, cool. Then mentions the search bar in ios, but fails to mention it will also search the web, not just co tacts, apps, mail, etc. Siri can also give you all types of results as well, but he fails to mention that. We don't have widgets though. I wouldn't mind those. & system wide sharing I would like.

Those are just a few examples.