Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
DropBox or SugarSync with Calibre2OPDS

I have read about a lot of people on here using Calibre2OPDS with DropBox. Is there any reason why one couldn't use SugarSync? It appears to have some extra features that I really like and lower costs since I would need more than 2GB...........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Having a quick look at what it offers I cannot see any obvious reason why it should not work, but I have no practical experience if SugarSync. I host my own personal ebook library on my home-based web server.

I guess one difference between Dropbox and SugarSync that there is no "free" tier which is probably why many go for DropBox. You could take the 30 day trial offer at SugarSync to see if it does what you need before cimmitting yourself?

If you try SugarSync and it works please let us know.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
It appears to have some extra features that I really like and lower costs since I would need more than 2GB...........Jackie
I don't know if it works, but I think it would. You must have a larger library then I do. I have 2131 books (2129 epub, 2 pdf) in calibre and it uses 1.41G of space. Admittedly I only keep my final properly formatted epub in my library and my source files elsewhere.

My Dropbox is up to 7gig of free space and you can earn up to 10gig.

Good luck in setting things up the way you want it to work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Well I purchased the $4.99/mth Sugarsync (or will at the end of the trial month. Sugarsync has the same 2GB free version as Dropbox but I wanted additional space and additional systems. I haven't tried interfacing it yet to Calibre2OPDS but from a straight sync'ing point of view it seems to work great. I have my Calibre library on my laptop and I used to have a copy of it on my home desktop. The other day while I was waiting for something to download on my home system I fixed up a few book covers. Bad idea. Of course, I have no idea which covers etc. and I have already made changes on my laptop. Now every change on my laptop is reflected on my home system and vice versa. In additional I have some non ebook files that are replicated to my husbands laptop but not to my home system. I also have a few that are just backed up and kept in sync with the cloud in the sky and no other system. The flexibility appears to be great and the price is right.

It will be a while before I get around to testing it as a replacement for the Dropbox usages referred to in this forum. When I do I will post my results.....................Jackie
Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Well I purchased the $4.99/mth Sugarsync (or will at the end of the trial month. Sugarsync has the same 2GB free version as Dropbox but I wanted additional space and additional systems.
Seems like a good price. You actually loose some systems, there are no versions of Linux mentioned. My wife uses LiveMesh (for online backup 5gig free) currently, I currently have 7g free in Dropbox, we might have to consider moving to this plan it seems more flexible/convenient.

Thanks for the info. I'll be interested in your results.
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I currently use Dropbox as welll and since seeing this post am now considering moving to SugarSynch. Right now Dropbox is $9.99 for 50GB of space, I really didn't need that much but there was no other option. I am only using it for my Calibre library to provide the synching I need among 4 different computers.

SugarSynch offers 30GB @ $4.99/month which is more than ample space for my library.

QUICK QUESTION: If I move my Calibre library from Dropbox to SugarSynch, is it as simple as just re-pointing the library to its' new location? I hope so but just wanted to get some opinions before doing so. Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
jjansen
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post

QUICK QUESTION: If I move my Calibre library from Dropbox to SugarSynch, is it as simple as just re-pointing the library to its' new location? I hope so but just wanted to get some opinions before doing so. Thanks!
With Sugarsync it is much easier. Similar to "My Dropbox" they have a "Magic Briefcase" but the great news is that you don't have to use that. You can sync any file or any folder (and subfolders if desired) located anywhere on your harddrive. I am not sure how well a network drive works but I have large portions of My Documents (but not all) synced. I store my Calibre library under My Documents in My eBooks and that seems to be working fine given my three days of expertise! I can also sync some items to one computer and other files to a different computer. I have Calibre on my laptop and my home computer but not on my husbands laptop. Other files my husband syncs between his machine and the home system since I don't need to see them. Anything in the magic briefcase is instantly replicated on all systems.

The one thing that I haven't figured out yet, which doesn't really affect my epub files, is whether Sugarsync sends an entire file when it is changed or just the changes. Dropbox touts this as a major speed benefit for them. On my small files and books I have had no synchronizing speed issues.

So far I am quite pleased with my decision. I downloaded Dropbox first and then switched to Sugarsync. With the Magic Briefcase I get the ease of use of Dropbox but I also have a lot of additional choices if I choose to exercise them. Good luck..............Jackie
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
jjansen
J

I probably should have put this here sooner. If you are thinking of trying Sugarsync use my referral URL below. That way you get extra space - you go from 30 to 35 GB for $4.99/mth (i.e. 5 free GB that don't expire) or you get an extra 250mb on the free account. I get the same. Good deal if it works for you.
https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=cwe5k0wosoakv

Thanks..................Jackie
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Jackie - I will use the referral and thanks bunches for the great response and terrific information. I think I will make the switch this weekend.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #10
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Ther is a free solution (as in free beer)

It is called Microsoft Live Mesh. I use it to sync all kind of information around the world. My Calibre library is one of them. You can also give other people (restricted)access. My wife also has acces but on a read only basis.
As an added bonus you can use it as a remote desktop

As soon as I update any information anywere on the world on my laptop, dektop bussiness computer or 'desktop' on the Internet all computers in the mesh have the same information.

Abd for the peple who use an Apple: It also works for them
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Hi folks,

Calibre2opds uses relative links, which means that the URLs generated by a cloud-sync system (e.g. Dropbox) must be consistent.

Here's an example : let's imagine that I have a folder A with two subfolders, A1 and A2. In A1 I've got a file named F1, and in A2 I've got F2 and F3...

Code:
A
  A1
    F1
  A2
    F2
    F3
In the Dropbox public folder (this is important), if the URL of A is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/A, then the URL of F1 is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/A/A1/F1 and the URL of F3 is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/A/A2/F3

Now, in a Dropbox private folder, things are different. If for example the URL of A is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/p/ZERZERF/A, then calibre2opds will deduct that the URL of F1 is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/p/ZERZERF/A/A1/F1 ; in this case, it will be different (for example http://dl.dropbox.com/u/343343/p/RGERRE/F1), and calibre2opds will not work.

To sum it up, on cloud-sync systems where this remains true, calibre2opds will work. On other systems, which obfuscate the URLs one way or another, it will not.

Hope this clears the question...
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
ianrip
ianrip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4.2)-iPhone 3gs(4.0.1)
Hi
I have been trying Sugarsync for the last couple of days, I have synced my ebook library to sugarsync and now i cannot open any EPUB with it, i thought it would be similar to dropbox, which gives you an option to open with, after the download is complete.
I already have a dropbox linked to my calibre library, and synced sugar sync to the same folder
any ideas what's causing this I'm using 3gs & Ipad?
ianrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using SugarSync in local mode then you should be able to find the SugarSync folder under My Documents (assuming you are using Windows). From there you should be able to do any normal file related operations. If you are using Shared folders then if you are not the owner this does not seem to work - you have to operated via the SugaSync File Manager.

A requirement for Calibre2opds ''over the-air' access (which since you mention the iPad I think is what you really want to do?) is that the syncing software must expose a 'base URL' that is the Calibre Library, and that it must be possible to reference all book files and catalog files as being relative to this URL. In Dropbox this can be done via the users Public folder. I am not certain that SugarSync provides an equivalent facility?

I might have a more detailed look at SugarSync myself to see if I can see how it might be used with Calibre2Opds as I have both installed in my test environment. In my live environment I have been using DropBox as it seemed much less fiddly to manage, and consumed far less resources on my PC. Also Dropbox allowed my to put the MyDropbox folder on any drive while SugarSync seemed to insist that the Magic briefaces was located under My Documents. However thiese observations could simply due to my lack of knowledge on how SugarSync works.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
ianrip
ianrip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4.2)-iPhone 3gs(4.0.1)
I can access the files with sugarsync, but with dropbox, when you locate the file and then open the Epub, dropbox will give you "error cannot open file", then dropbox will give you an option to open with..... "Whichever app is on the device", sugarsync seems to only open the file, which shows only a blank page /screen.

I'm sure I have Calibre2Opds installed on the PC (windows 7) laptop, which has the primary storage folders

I'm only trying sugarsync as it has a larger free capacity 6GB, dropbox is fine but it's only 2GB
All of this is on the ipad & iphone 3gs. I don't use the PC to read only for storage
ianrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrip View Post
I'm sure I have Calibre2Opds installed on the PC (windows 7) laptop, which has the primary storage folders
I haven't heard anyone say they have run Calibre2OPDS on Sugarsync. I'll be following the thread to see who steps up to say it can be done.

Did you analyze post 11 yet to see if Sugarsync conforms to this hierarchy of links?

I don't see Sugarsync listed yet in the first post of the Calibre2opds sticky thread yet.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-04-2011 at 05:53 AM.