Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Jennifer McMahon's "Don't Breathe a Word" count of pages

Hello I would like to ask those who have purchased this ebook if they can tell me how many pages long the book is on your readers. Because mine has a number of pages very different from the amount in the print book version. I know the amount of pages may vary from format to format but my count goes far from the amount of pages on the print.
Thanks

Last edited by Quexos; 05-21-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Hello I would like to ask those who have purchased this ebook if they can tell me how many pages long the book is on your readers. Because mine has a number of pages very different from the amount in the print book version.
Thanks
Why would you expect it to be the same? ADE "pages" are just a count of bytes in the file (1024 bytes of the compressed file per "page"), and have nothing whatsoever to do with real pages in any printed edition.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please, answering a question by a question (without at least giving the answer) is frustrating my friend !
Anyways I'll answer your question. I don't expect it to be the same, I see discrepancies in page numbers for pretty much any ebook but this one I'm asking because the difference is huge. 354 pages vs 464 pages. that's a third more pages in the print. So maybe I got some shorter version or simplified version for whatever reason. I don't know ergo I'm asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you expect it to be the same? ADE "pages" are just a count of bytes in the file (1024 bytes of the compressed file per "page"), and have nothing whatsoever to do with real pages in any printed edition.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have given you the answer. The Sony displays ADE pages. These have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the number of pages in the printed book - they are simply related to the size of the ePub file. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can get the pane number to change just by say changing some of the code. Also the compression level has something to do with the page count as well. It's a non-issue that you are making into an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired

Why does everybody say I'm making an issue when all I'm doing is asking a question ? is it so hard to answer "my copy says xxx pages, mine says xxx ..." ?
I guess this raises the question of why putting a page count in ebook devices since it seems to NOT be an actual count of pages, but someone will say I'm creating an issue where there isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can get the pane number to change just by say changing some of the code. Also the compression level has something to do with the page count as well. It's a non-issue that you are making into an issue.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Why does everybody say I'm making an issue when all I'm doing is asking a question ? is it so hard to answer "my copy says xxx pages, mine says xxx ..." ?
Everybody who uses an ADE-based eBook reader (which means pretty much every device except the Kindle) will see exactly the same number of pages as you see.

Quote:
I guess this raises the question of why put a page count in ebook devices since it seems to NOT be an actual count of pages, but someone will say I'm creating an issue where there isn't one.
One reason is to allow you to reference a particular point in the book. If you refer to something on page 105, then anyone else with an ADE-based reader will be able to refer to the same point in the book. Page 105 on your Sony will be the same position in the book as page 105 on a Kobo or a Pocketbook reader.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired

I see and I thank you for clearing this up. Now I know that everybody should have the same count of pages as I do. So just to put my mind at ease I'll rephrase my question based on this new info you gave me:
Does anyone who got this book have 354 pages in the count of their device for this book ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Everybody who uses an ADE-based eBook reader (which means pretty much every device except the Kindle) will see exactly the same number of pages as you see.

One reason is to allow you to reference a particular point in the book. If you refer to something on page 105, then anyone else with an ADE-based reader will be able to refer to the same point in the book. Page 105 on your Sony will be the same position in the book as page 105 on a Kobo or a Pocketbook reader.

Last edited by Quexos; 05-21-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Not to stir things up again, (sorry I don't have the book you mentioned), but remember the ADE pages in the Text (showing on the right side of the page) is different than what the ereader shows at the bottom and/or top of the page. That (the ereader's calculated page number) is dependent on the reader, the size font and possibly other issues.

If you are talking about the ADE page numbers showing on the right side of the text, then just ignore this message.

AJ

after re-reading your original message, is the print copy your are referencing the Hard Back, which would have larger fonts and therefore more pages, or a paperback which would be small pages which could possibly be more pages.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 05-21-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: edited what "That" was refering to...
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired

I don't have anything mentioned on the right side of any page in my Sony reader. The page count is at the bottom.
I believe it's the paperback that has 464 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Breathe-W...5996569&sr=1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Not to stir things up again, (sorry I don't have the book you mentioned), but remember the ADE pages in the Text (showing on the right side of the page) is different than what the ereader shows at the bottom and/or top of the page. That page number is dependent on the reader, the size font and possibly other issues.

If you are talking about the ADE page numbers showing on the right side of the text, then just ignore this message.

AJ

after re-reading your original message, is the print copy your are referencing the Hard Back, which would have larger fonts and therefore more pages, or a paperback which would be small pages which could possibly be more pages.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Not to stir things up again, (sorry I don't have the book you mentioned), but remember the ADE pages in the Text (showing on the right side of the page) is different than what the ereader shows at the bottom and/or top of the page. That page number is dependent on the reader, the size font and possibly other issues.
Actually, ADE's page numbers are independent of the font or the font size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I've noticed that the Sony reader and the internal reader in Calibre give different numbers of pages for the same book. Calibre always gives a much larger number. For instance, I opened a random book on my reader and it shows it having 395 pages. I opened the same book in Calibre and it shows it having 824 pages.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, ADE's page numbers are independent of the font or the font size.

Sorry, my grammer was a bit confusing. I meant the individual ereaders are dependent on font size, etc. ADE page numbers are set, and I personally don't like them.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I thought the page numbers were set by the epub file, where does ADE come into it? If I remove the DRM (and thus take ADE out of the equation), the page numbers are still going to be the same.

I know that the page numbers CAN be tied to the number of pages in the print file. I did a test of creating an epub file from an InDesign file, I just wanted to try it out. When my InDesign file was 15 pages, my epub was 15 pages. When I changed the page size such that my InDesign file was now 25 pages (same amount of text), the epub created from that file was also 25 pages. So in this case, it was pegged to the "print version."

I have also noticed the huge discrepancy in how Calibre's file view calculates number of pages and I wasn't sure why that is.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Page numbering for books vs. ebooks is a mess. Last week I read The Peach Keeper via an ebook borrowed from the library, and it was 186 pages, vs. the 288 pages listed for the hardcover.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote