Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
I did get garbage characters. It's definitely a font acquisition problem. I expect PDFs with embedded Chinese fonts would work fine. But still, I'd like the nice folks at Entourage to add Chinese language support. It is important to me.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
What does that kana character mean? I see it all the time. BTW: am finishing a wonderful Japanese History class at Harvard (A-14). Very intensive, lots of reading. But - wow - from Heian to the modern period. Worth every penny for the tuition.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #18
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post
I did get garbage characters. It's definitely a font acquisition problem. I expect PDFs with embedded Chinese fonts would work fine. But still, I'd like the nice folks at Entourage to add Chinese language support. It is important to me.
I'm surprised a Chinese font isn't in the firmware. The 1st Gen eDGe, that clunky prototype, was displaying Chinese in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2MCBlcowg

I suppose their own English firmware may have overwritten the Chinese. Or it's still in there and just needs some trick to bring it out? I'll be interested in what enTourage has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post
What does that kana character mean? I see it all the time. BTW: am finishing a wonderful Japanese History class at Harvard (A-14). Very intensive, lots of reading. But - wow - from Heian to the modern period. Worth every penny for the tuition.
Well, the meaning of the の ("no") character depends on the context as so very much of Japanese does. In that kind of placement it's sort of a possessive. It connects two things, in this case "book" and "worm" (insect/bug). Another example: 帝国の逆襲, which has "empire" "no" "counterattack". The Empire Strikes Back. Another connector kind of character you'll see a lot is と ("to", sounds like "toe") ... but this isn't a language lesson.

I'm just a self-taught beginner in Japanese. One of my main reasons for getting the eDGe is to use it as a language study aid. With the right Android apps along with all the resources of the web on the LCD side, and with the ability to copy/paste from and to (as annotations) the Japanese source document on the e-ink side, the eDGe just may be the most powerful language-learning tool ever made. The possibilities are incredible.

Good luck on that font.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

No Longer Delayed

enTourage apparently received their shipment of units. The web site no longer has the delay notice and I got a tracking number just a little while ago.

Hah, the California shipping facility is in the City of Industry. About half an hour away in good traffic. Do you suppose Standard Overnight shipping was overkill for me?

Meanwhile, also today, my piece of computer furniture that was stuck in Italy due to the volcanic ash has started moving again. And PayPal settled my Enso zenPad dispute in my favor and recovered my money. Pretty good day all around!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #20
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Congrats on all fronts! Looking to seeing your first post from your edge!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
enTourage apparently received their shipment of units. The web site no longer has the delay notice and I got a tracking number just a little while ago.

Meanwhile, also today, my piece of computer furniture that was stuck in Italy due to the volcanic ash has started moving again. And PayPal settled my Enso zenPad dispute in my favor and recovered my money. Pretty good day all around!
Wow, from a $160 enso pad to a $500 eDGe.... that's quite the jump.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wow, from a $160 enso pad to a $500 eDGe.... that's quite the jump.

BOb
Heh, that would be funny if true. But no, the two purchases didn't have much if any relation to each other. The eDGe is actually more of a substitute for the Notion Ink Adam I was firmly planning to buy. (Not a 1:1 substitute, but still, I'm not planning on the Adam now.)