Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #46
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Probably only if the individual said they had done it, like by posting messages here or on other forums saying so.
True. Although, I doubt very many copyright holders scour the internet searching for people who have admitted stripping DRM for personal use. They're more interested in large scale distribution.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
True. Although, I doubt very many copyright holders scour the internet searching for people who have admitted stripping DRM for personal use. They're more interested in large scale distribution.

I'm sure you're right, but look what the wacko music industry had done to individuals!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #48
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm sure you're right, but look what the wacko music industry had done to individuals!
In the RIAA's case, I think they just pull random names out of the phone book and send them threatening letters.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #49
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Well, partially depends on how the tool is made, and how it works. If the encryption isn't cracked, from my understanding of it, no harm no foul.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #50
Shaggy
Wizard

I don't know whether or not a court would differentiate between tricking the DRM into giving you a decrypted copy versus actually breaking the encryption algorithm. I don't know how deep they would get into the technicalities, or if they would even care.

You have an interesting point though. If the DRM algorithm decrypts the content and gives you an unprotected copy (which is what it's supposed to do), does it make a difference whether that copy is output to the screen or output to a file? Or is it the companies fault that their software allows you to use it in an unintended way?
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #51
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What people do with private messages is precisely that - private. Mods do NOT have access to peoples' private messages.
I'd note that there's possibly a difference between a forum Moderator & a site administrator though. Unless the PM's are encrypted I can't see how the site administrator could *not* have technical access to them. (The authority to read them is something else-the privacy policy is as binding on them as it is on others.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #52
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I'd note that there's possibly a difference between a forum Moderator & a site administrator though. Unless the PM's are encrypted I can't see how the site administrator could *not* have technical access to them. (The authority to read them is something else-the privacy policy is as binding on them as it is on others.)
Yeah, but the vast majority of the staff are mere mods. As far as I know, there is just the one admin.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #53
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
There's a difference between "can" and "does", and indeed if an hack is used to let the admins read other people's private messages or not. I think the announcement is quite clear - no direct download links.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote