Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #481
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
Search only outside tags

Is there a way to search for characters or sequences only outside the html tags? I.E. only text that actually "appears" in the book. I have tried searching within the "book view" of calibre, but the replace doesn't work.

Right now I'm looking to replace "these" quotation marks with “these”.
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #482
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Right now I'm looking to replace "these" quotation marks with “these”.
You could use the the Smarten Punctuation option of the Modify ePub Calibre plugin to convert straight quotes to curly ones.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #483
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You could use the the Smarten Punctuation option of the Modify ePub Calibre plugin to convert straight quotes to curly ones.
Indeed. That plugin has saved me countless hours of the most mind-numbing, tedious work.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #484
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Wow, cool. It worked

Ty
Old 10-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #485
1v4n0
Groupie

Unopened quotation marks

I've counted all the opening and closing quotation marks (“ ”) in an epub, and the closing ones are one more than the opening ones.

How do I find the unopened one?
Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #486
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
try:
search: ”([^“]*?)”
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #487
1v4n0
Groupie

It seems to work. Ty
Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #488
gipsy
Connoisseur
gipsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Code:
#Fixes ώ in words that are misspelled
CorrectText("ώ fixes",r"(\w+)(ιίι|\(ό|ο\)|ίό|ο&gt;|ο'\)|ο'ι|ιό|οί|ιο|οι|&lt;ο|οϊ)(\w+)(?![^<>]*>)(?!.*<body[^>]*>)", IsFixO)
Hi,
in the epub tidy plugin i use this code to find mispelled ώ
It searches for ιίι, (ό, etc and if it's correct it change it to ώ.

As the code is now, its working only works within a word (for example στιίιμα changes to στρώμα

It doesn't work in the begining or the end of the word (for example ιίιστε [the correct word is ώστε] or αντιπαρατεθιίι [the correct word is αντιπαρατεθώ]

If i change the first (\w+) to (\w+|\ ) i get findings and in the beggining if the word.
What i can change to match and the end of the word?

Thanks

Last edited by gipsy; 11-18-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Explanations
gipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #489
1v4n0
Groupie

Just found out that the case conversion replacement regex (\L\1\E to make the string lowercase, \U\1\E to make it uppercase) works with sigil, but not with the calibre editor.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #490
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre doesn't use the PCRE library, it uses Matthew Barnett's python regex module -- which doesn't include uppercase/lowercase.

Fortunately, calibre does support function-replace, with pre-supplied functions to uppercase/lowercase text.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #491
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Note that Sigil plugins will have the same limitation with regard to regular expressions. Both the standard re and Barnett's regex module are included with the bundled Python, but only the GUI S&R engine makes use of PCRE's case conversion switches (as well as the /K switch).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 AM   #492
1v4n0
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Fortunately, calibre does support function-replace, with pre-supplied functions to uppercase/lowercase text.
So does this mean there is a way to convert cases with Calibre? How?

ty

Last edited by 1v4n0; 04-14-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #493
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Take a look at: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/function_mode.html
Specifically: Automatically case of fixing the headings in the document, (one of the builtin functions in the editor).

Last edited by jbacelar; 04-14-2016 at 07:10 AM.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #494
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Hope it's okay for a veritable Regex newbie to post a query in this thread -- I'm only just beginning to learn about this stuff, but with any like it'll eventually start sinking in.

I seem to have developed an affinity for doing up electronic versions of "ye olde bookes" -- for example, right now I'm doing up several Shakespeare plays in the original Elizabethan English, endeavouring to give it somewhat of the "look and feel" of early typographic styles, complete with use of the long-ess (i.e. "ſ", the character that looks like an "f" but without the crossbar, and is actually an "s"). Along with the unusual use of the "u" and "v" characters in early typography, where an "ſ" is use instead of "s" has to do with placement within a word, rather than the "sound" of the character or anything else like that.

Very often when I find digital transcriptions of these early texts, they've kept the "u" and "v" oddities, but for some reason have changed all the long-esses to just "s" instead -- and so I have to change them back. The rule for when this is supposed to occur is actually fairly simple (although not all early printers/typographers followed this, but the vast majority did): virtually every instance of "s" should be changed to "ſ" unless it falls at the end of the word, then it remains as "s."

So to fix my texts up, I've been searching for every instance of "s" and then changing it to "ſ" -- which right away causes all my HTML code to need to be fixed up first, because things like "css," "class," "span," etc. get screwed up in the process -- and then I do another series of searches, looking for instances of "ſ" (long-ess) plus a "." or "," or ":" or ";" or "?" or "!" or ")" or "[space]" or "[apostrophe -- curly or otherwise], plus "<" should there be a closing </i> or </p> tag or something, i.e. wherever it might occur at the end of a word, and then changing it back to "s" again.

It's not that big a deal, actually, I can "correct" the long-esses in a whole book in, like, 5 or 10 minutes or so, but it would be totally cool to just whiz it off with one, single regex search, of course.

Oh, and it would have to be case-sensitive, of course -- all instances of upper-case "S" remain as "S."

ALSO...

A similar S&R could also be done on the "u" and "V" characters, the early rules for which also had to do with placement -- although as I mentioned before, most digital transcriptions of early texts seem to have retained those. It could come in handy, though, if at some point I encounter a text that has "modernized" the typography (but not word-spelling) of something.

For those characters, lower-case "v" was used for both "u" and "v" at the start of a word, while "v" was used for both "u" and "v" elsewhere in the world -- thus, the word we spell as "uvula" (that thing that dangles at the back of your mouth/throat) would be spelled rather oddly as "vuula."

As for upper-case "U" and "V," there was only one character, "V" -- although this is very easy to change with a simple, regular S&R, of course.

(Very often the upper-case "W" character -- and occasionally the lower-case "w," too -- would be written as "VV"/"vv," but most often not, it seems to have been essentially dependent on the font the printer had available and not based on any "rule." This is why, however, we call the "w" character "double-u," actually -- in case you ever wondered.)

Anyway, hope that's not too weird -- or, indeed, too basic -- a Regex question for me to ask here. The long-ess part of my query would certainly be really great to have a Regex expression for, though!

Thanks so much, in advance! And thanks for bearing with me here, too, of course, with my long question/explanation.

EDIT/POSTCRIPT: I forgot about "i" and "j"! In early typography, there was only one character for both -- "i" -- although once again that's easy enough to fix up with a regular S&R, of course. The only time "j" was used was as a ligature. For example, in this Elizabethan Shakespeare text I'm working on, the word "allies" (in modern English) came up, which was spelled at that time as "alliis -- and, hence, the "ii" became "ij" ("allijs"). If you look at how it looks, then you can see where we got the character "y" from.

Last edited by Psymon; 07-14-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #495
ReaderRabbit
ReaderRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Tablet
OK, here is a simple question for ya. In Sigil (0.7.4), I have a book where there is no separation between sentences. I am using this to find them: ([a-z])([\.\,\?\!])([A-Z])
which works perfectly. But what do I use in replace to move the new sentence over one space? There is over 3500 found and I don't want to insert a space manually for that many errors. Any suggestions?
ReaderRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote