Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
kwailau
kwailau began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Can't Hard Reset my PRS-500

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and I just got a Sony eReader PRS-500.

Problem:
Somehow I got my eReader in a state where the 'USB Connected' dialog is up. I can't restart it and when I plug the USB back and eject the device, it fails to boot.

Software installed:
Initially: Sony Connect Reader and then upgraded to the new eBook Library reader. The Sony Connect Reader software did attempt to update the firmware and I'm not sure if this is worked or not.

I tried the hard reset instructions listed at: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...der#Hard_Reset
But this fails too. I never get to the point where it asks me for the Reset All option. Instead, the USB icon appears and I'm stuck.

I am however able to see the device in the eBook Library software. It has the 3 books I've copied over listed. I'm able to remove some of the sample books and add news ones.

I just can't get the device to get out of the current state.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Kwai
kwailau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
kwailau

I'm reading around this forum and I'm going to try the long-charge method to see if this works.

Any other advise will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
kwailau

No luck with the long charge Help!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Sorry I am unable to offer any advice except to phone sony support.

I hope you manage to get it sorted out.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
kwailau

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Sorry I am unable to offer any advice except to phone sony support.

I hope you manage to get it sorted out.
Thanks. Would you by chance know the Customer Service number for this? I'm wondering if Sony will support this device since it is so old.
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a look here for support under Reader Digital Book:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-contacts.pl?

I don't know your location but this is for the US so you may need to adjust according to where you live.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Cotannah
Cotannah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
My reader has become stuck on the starting up page and will not let me do a hard reset. I am outside the US so cant call and was wondering if you had any luck reseting your reader??
Cotannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic

Have you tried a reset while the reader is plugged to the computer via the USB cord?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Cotannah

I sure did try the reset whle attached, still nothing Tried the long charge... nothing... tried the hard reset... nothing...*sniff* I need my reader
Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried plugging the 500 into an AC adapter? if you don't have one, you can get one for a PSP that will work. The problem with the 500 is that if the battery is drained, you cannot charge it via USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Cotannah

Hmm no I dont have the AC adapter but will go to the electrical store today as im sure they sell them for the PSPs. The battery wasnt drained I had just attached it via the USB to add more books when it froze.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
kwailau

Happy Days!

Thank you for everyone's help and advise. I couldn't get my device to work and decided to send it into Sony to have the EPub upgrade. I was hoping that they could see the problem that I was having and just flash the device with the upgrade and hope it would come back to life.

The Sony technician called me today and told me that the device was defective and offered to replace it with the PRS-300 or 505!

I am very thankful for the great customer support from Sony! Now the question is which device to choose?

I know that 505 has a larger screen and an SD slot but the 300 is the newer version. Either one will be better than a dead 500.

If you guys have the same issue as me, contact Sony and send it your unit soon before the offer expires!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
poshm
Fanatic

Lucky you - thank goodness their support is good! Now you just need to choose! There are loads of threads on which one to get but either one is surely a great upgrade
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
@Cotannah If you're still having issues resetting and you are outside of US/CDN try this Finally unbrick my prs505! - a new method
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote