Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Commas in LRF metadata

Hi

Sorry if this has been noticed before, but it seems that calibre doesn't like commas in the author field of metadata in LRF files it imports. So if the author is

`Blogs, Fred'

it appears in calibre as

`Blogs & Fred'

I can correct it easily enough, but when I change it back to a comma and export it to my PRS-505, the authors ends up as

`Blogs| Fred'

I'm not sure whether it's the commas or the spaces it doesn't like.

Best wishes
Kevin
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is treating the ampersand as specifying multiple authors. Somewhere as an optimisation in the handling of the dialog for changing metadata, it is converting the comma to an ampersand. Quite why the comma then ends up as a vertical bar I have no idea.

Internally calibre seems to hold authors in 'firstname lastname' format, with the sort field normally being set to 'lastname, firstname'. You may find it esier to simply live with this convention.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Internally calibre seems to hold authors in 'firstname lastname' format, with the sort field normally being set to 'lastname, firstname'. You may find it esier to simply live with this convention.
Thanks for the prompt reply, even though it's not the one I wanted

It's not irksome enough for me to stop using calibre, but it's a bit odd, nonetheless.

I think what you're saying (sorry if I'm misunderstanding this) is that when Calibre reads an author like this `Bloggs, Fred' it interprets it as two different authors -- one called (something) Bloggs and one called (something) Fred?

The problem is that that if I wanted to say that the book was by two different author, I would write the authors as `Bloggs and Scuggins' or whatever. I'm not sure why the software needs to make assumptions that the person who formatted the file meant something different from what he or she said. To complicate matters, the books I've downloaded from this site have so far all had the author in the form `Bloggs, Fred'.

And (so far as I can tell) the PRS-505 does not honour the `author sort' field that Calibre uses. I don't know if that's a Calibre issue or a PRS-505 one. But the PRS order authors by the displayed name field. Since I have books by Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, Charles Grant, and Charles Williams, ordering by display name isn't terribly useful.

I can live with my PRS-505 displaying an authors as `Darwin|Charles' if the alternative is to be forced to put all the Charleses together in a bunch. But it would be nice if there was a way around this.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that to separate two authors in calibre you must use the ampersand character and not the word 'and'.

Just for interest, how are you putting the comma back in? I am just wondering, because if it is via the metadata dialog, and you are using the option to look up metadata from the web it could be the server that is reversing the order?

The comma being converted to the vertical bar character might well be a bug. Guess we need to wait until Kovid is online to comment.

I would be very happy if at some time clibre has the option to store author names in the reverse order. I think this is on the list of things for Kovid to do in the future, but it is a non-trivial change and so is unlikely to appear in the near future.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

Well, if it's on the to-do list, then I guess I'll have to be content with that It's not a huge big deal, certainly not something I can't live with.

It seems odd, all the same. I note that if I edit the metadata so the author is `Darwin, Charles' then I end up with a directory called `Darwin_ charles'. It seems the comma becomes an underscore there, instead of a | in the PRS505. I wonder if this is some freakiness that goes on to avoid writing illegal filenames? Perhaps on some platforms a comma is not allowed in filenames?
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

There is certainly a sanitization of filenames to something that is allowed on all platforms and that seems to involve replacing awkward characters with underscores. However that is purely in the folder/file names and not in the metadata in the database.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_boone View Post
And (so far as I can tell) the PRS-505 does not honour the `author sort' field that Calibre uses. I don't know if that's a Calibre issue or a PRS-505 one.
I think that's the PRS-505 rather than Calibre, unfortunately!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I think that's the PRS-505 rather than Calibre, unfortunately!
Well, fair enough; but it does mean that the `author' field in Calibre _must_ be set to the way I want the books both sorted and displayed, if I want to get sensible ordering on the PRS-505.

I suppose I could try `Darwin - Charles' or `Darwin ; Charles' or something, if it's just commas that are tricky. But for my sanity I can't really have the reader list authors in first-name order -- I'd never find anything :/
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a bug, you can set the author field to a, b and it should show up as a, b on the reader. Will be fixed in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is a bug, you can set the author field to a, b and it should show up as a, b on the reader. Will be fixed in the next release.
You're a star. Will the same fix tackle the problem of commas coming out as `|'characters on the reader? Or is that something different altogether?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the fix is for the authors becomig a|b on the reader. You will still have to change the authors form a&b to a,b in the GUI
Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

OK, Thanks

I've just noticed that the isbndb server has authors in `Fred Bloggs' format. Yet the PRS505 _requires_ `Bloggs, Fred' to sort properly. And many of the LRF books posted on this forum have `Bloggs, Fred'. I presume that's because they've been posted by PRS owners who are aware of this restriction.

Grrrr! Why is there no consistency in this area? It wouldn't matter, except that I'm in the process of importing about 2000 books, and I want to minimse the amount of manual fiddling I have to do.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Part of the issue is that the LRF format has a second author field (named "reading as" I believe) that is intended to represent the authors name for sorting purposes. But none of Sony's readers pay any attention to the field!!!

So what's happening is that Calibre does its best to use the existing Author data to fill in a reasonable guess at the Author Sort field. But that guess is often wrong because author names are really complicated (check out the ALA's guidelines on this sometime -- it's really scary)! Then go file a BUG with Sony for ignoring part of their own format's meta-data.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
kevin_boone
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Part of the issue is that the LRF format has a second author field (named "reading as" I believe) that is intended to represent the authors name for sorting purposes. But none of Sony's readers pay any attention to the field!!!
Yeah, I guessed as much. That's really slack And I guess it would make no sense to cripple Calibre so that it doesn't work properly with readers that do do the right thing, just because the PRS doesn't.

And, in fact, now I've used the isbndb database it bit more, I can see that there's little consistency in how author names are represented there either. I guess I can't expect any software to cope that.

Since the PRS/Calibre combination essentially requires that the author and author-sort fields are the same, if both are to work properly, I suppose what would help me when importing large numbers of books is a way to set this for the entire collection.

Is there some programmatic way to do that? I suppose at a pinch I could use the sqlite prompt, but I don't understand the data schema and I don't want to break it.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not unless you're willing to a write python code