Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Methinks it smells of the illogical "I hate a company" game again... can't we have a serious discussion without these irrelevant "some company or other stinks comments" unless it is actually to the point... come on, Apple takes out another patent, big deal... take a look at how many Microsoft takes out (or attempts to) or how often they all get clobbered for infringing someone else's patent/copyright/trademark...
Can't we have a discussion without the apple apologists popping up?

I would have said the same thing about any other company that did the same thing, and have in the past, and will in the future.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
I thought that the OP material came from Apple Insider (rumour mill) not the Patent Office which may explain the generalities shown, likely to be a lot more detailed in actual patent...
ahhh, sure...thanks, gotcha. I was lazy and did not check the source. One must always check the references. right?

Added:
Well, actually, I just checked out the Apple Insider page and it sure seems to imply those diagrams are from the patent application. Perhpas the application defines the terms in greater detail. At least to a narrow enough scope that a patent might be possible.

Last edited by grumpy3b; 04-11-2011 at 11:58 AM.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #18
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I would have said the same thing about any other company that did the same thing, and have in the past, and will in the future.
You have a problem with patents?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a problem with companies trying to patent something that another company has already built/patented/ etc. That is the case here. Several other companies have done this already. As mentioned previously in this thread (I believe).

Edit: sorry it was not mentioned here, but in another recent thread.

Last edited by kennyc; 04-11-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
I have a problem with companies trying to patent something that another company has already built/patented/ etc. That is the case here. Several other companies have done this already. As mentioned previously in this thread (I believe).
"Several others"? Can you narrow it down to names?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
in fact if you used eink on the bottom, an led "side lit" layer then above that the transparent lcd you could led "back light" the lcd while providing light for the eink. ala the old sony. but with newer higher contrast displays and very clear lcd layers it should be better than the sony.
If the lcd stays on while e-ink is doing its job, then the design does not include advantages for battery saving; but only for sunlight reading; right? Then why not Pixel Qi or mirasol?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
"Several others"? Can you narrow it down to names?
Google is your friend.

These guys are the ones I was thinking of:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/no...dle-for-webos/

Last edited by kennyc; 04-11-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Kennyc, I'm sick of you spreading malicious innuendo and outright lies... does being unprejudiced make an apologist rather than your posts showing you as being paranoid and a company hater. I use Fujitsu-Siemans, Sony, Elonex, Android tablet, Apple, Samsung, iRiver, Panasonic, Seagate etc, etc... I am NOT an apologist for anyone or any business but neither am I a pointless purveyor of prejudice...

And to the moderators: Sorry if this breaches the policies but I'm sick of being attacked for trying to be reasonable...

Quote:
Can't we have a discussion without the apple apologists popping up?

Last edited by elcreative; 04-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
kennyc

WTH did that come from. Please point out specifically any malicious innuendo or lies I've posted.

You are right in that I really dislike Apple's controlling way of doing business and speak out against it. I also know the topic of this thread is as best I can tell the same "invention" I provided links for above. Why apple thinks they can patent it or why they are "pushing it" in the media I don't know. I'm just pointing out that there is pre-existing technology.

Oh and it's not like they haven't done this before:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/08/09/...-Software-Idea

Last edited by kennyc; 04-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #25
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try checking #16 where you first quote me and then talk of Apple apologists coming out... and don't try your usual weaseling of making "specific" quotes, read your own post and its association with you quoting me then stop playing the wide-eyed innocent as it no longer works...

And you're doing it again, try reading the whole thread with all its comments... yet another quote from Apple Insider and then a lot of more detailed examination in the comments, much of it contradicting the original "article" and proving nothing... all sound and fury to probably misquote...

Quote:
WTH did that come from. Please point out specifically any malicious innuendo or lies I've posted.

You are right in that I really dislike Apple's controlling way of doing business and speak out against it. I also know the topic of this thread is as best I can tell the same "invention" I provided links for above. Why apple thinks they can patent it or why they are "pushing it" in the media I don't know. I'm just pointing out that there is pre-existing technology.

Oh and it's not like they haven't done this before:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/08/09/...-Software-Idea

Last edited by elcreative; 04-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Hey, the two of you get a room already. :P

Don't forget this is supposed to be about fun so punch your way out of it but do come out pals after it's over.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
elcreative
Wizard

What a horrible thought... sharing a room with Grant Wood's dentist... don't worry, I'll try to ignore him but I guess he'll have to dig again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Hey, the two of you get a room already. :P

Don't forget this is supposed to be about fun so punch your way out of it but do come out pals after it's over.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
What a horrible thought... sharing a room with Grant Wood's dentist... don't worry, I'll try to ignore him but I guess he'll have to dig again...
hahaha....but !!HEY!! stop with the passive aggressive schlock!! Say what ya really mean. Plus me thinks you doth protest too much!! Perhaps a nice fishing trip together is in order. I know kennyc can handle it, been reading everyone's posts long enough.

But too many negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

Quick without looking (NO GOOGLE) there are around 28 karma points for...name that movie and at least three of the stars of the movie and who was the actor that uttered that line?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Try checking #16 where you first quote me and then talk of Apple apologists coming out... and don't try your usual weaseling of making "specific" quotes, read your own post and its association with you quoting me then stop playing the wide-eyed innocent as it no longer works...

And you're doing it again, try reading the whole thread with all its comments... yet another quote from Apple Insider and then a lot of more detailed examination in the comments, much of it contradicting the original "article" and proving nothing... all sound and fury to probably misquote...
And what lie might that be? Btw you made the first personal attack, you'll notice that if you read this thread. Again I would welcome you're pointing out any lies I made.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #30
elcreative
Wizard

One last time, in plain English and kept simple to let you follow... read post #16 made by you in this thread... you quote me then say, "Can't we have a discussion without the apple apologists popping up?" Since you don't know me, I put you straight but you can't follow simple words so herewith comes the next dig...

Quote:
And what lie might that be? Btw you made the first personal attack, you'll notice that if you read this thread. Again I would welcome you're pointing out any lies I made.