Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #31
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I think you can only load DRM removed books to Kindle. I sold my Kobo and got a Kindle 3. HUGE difference in reading experience and speed. Can't compare.

I bought the Sony 650 for my daughter and although she loves it for taking notes etc. I prefer the Kindle 3 because it is simpler and I just want it for reading. I think the clarity of the screens is the same for Kindle and Sony.

Kobo now looks faded.

I am also done with Kobo customer service.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Or you can go to Best Buy where you can handle the Kindle, Nook, and Sony.

If you are in Canada you might want to look at some of the topics on how to buy books for the Nook and Kindle. You can find those in the Nook and Amazon forums.
You cannot see the Nook or Kindle in Best Buy in Canada -- only the Sony and only the 5" and 6" model (which is $100 more than the Kobo and doesn't offer wifi).

You cannot buy books for the Nook in Canada but that's ok becuase Barnes and Noble does not sell the device here.

Amazon's selection of books in Canada for the Kindle is pretty extensive; and so it Kobo. The Kobo is marginally cheaper once shipping, etc is added in bringing a Kindle across the border.

Using the Kindle 3 just as intended -- to buy Kindle books from Amazon, and some DRM-free books from other sources, and PD sources in mobi -- it's a terrific device.

Kobo has some pluses too: like access to other ePub stores (but finding anything better than kobobooks for Canadian audiences is tough) and most important public library book access which are mainly in ePub format. Depending where you live, this is a nice source of books to read. And, if you are after the basics, Kobo does the job.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #33
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
So here's what I need. In addition to having access to a bookstore (fictionwise, smashwords and baen, particularly) I want to be able to load the books I already have converted to epub format. Does Kindle allow this, or not?
Kindles do not support epub, but you can use Calibre to convert your entire library to mobi quickly and easily with the bulk convert feature.

I have a huge epub library, and after seeing my friend's new Kindle 3, I'm considering getting one (I have a Sony PRS-505). I stripped the DRM from a few of my purchased books, converted them to mobi and tried them on her Kindle. They look perfect. If I do get a Kindle, I'm not about to limit myself to Amazon.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Kindles do not support epub, but you can use Calibre to convert your entire library to mobi quickly and easily with the bulk convert feature.

I have a huge epub library, and after seeing my friend's new Kindle 3, I'm considering getting one (I have a Sony PRS-505). I stripped the DRM from a few of my purchased books, converted them to mobi and tried them on her Kindle. They look perfect. If I do get a Kindle, I'm not about to limit myself to Amazon.
Thanks for that info. Likewise re limiting to Amazon (not to mention that being in Australia, the books I can buy there are somewhat more limited than for those people living in the US). I have been using Calibre liberally for a long time, having a rather vast collection of ebooks in a variety of forrmats, acquired over quite a few years.

Kindle is looking very much like the optimal choice.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #35
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I was looking also for an ereader and had come down to these two, and the Sony 650. I have not had the opportunity to handle any of them, they just don't seem to be readily available for that purpose where I live. I've only seen three ebook readers, and none of the brands were familiar to me (Pico is the only one I can remember).

So here's what I need. In addition to having access to a bookstore (fictionwise, smashwords and baen, particularly) I want to be able to load the books I already have converted to epub format. Does Kindle allow this, or not?
Kindle does not support ePub. If you want to read those books you have converted to ePub, you will have to convert them again to mobi.

Most other readers now support ePub.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Kindle does not support ePub. If you want to read those books you have converted to ePub, you will have to convert them again to mobi.

Most other readers now support ePub.

--
Bill
Its the screen thats tempting me, Bill. I wish I could actually *see* a Kindle in action, but I don't know anyone who has one here in Aus thats close enough to me geographically. I looked at a couple of ereaders in an Officeworks (similar to officemax) store but they weren't very good, I didnt think. One came close, with similar controls to the Kindle... not sure what filetypes it supported, or if it would work with my Mac.

I confess, it would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to convert again to yet another format (still needing to keep ePub for Stanza and iBooks on my iPhone and iPad)
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #37
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Its the screen thats tempting me, Bill. I wish I could actually *see* a Kindle in action, but I don't know anyone who has one here in Aus thats close enough to me geographically. I looked at a couple of ereaders in an Officeworks (similar to officemax) store but they weren't very good, I didnt think.
Oh, the ones at Officeworks are way too expensive for what they are.

I'm not sure where you live, so I suppose the hookup thread isn't of any help? If your doubts are related to the screen only, try finding one of the new Sonys which are also stocked at Borders and Myer. I'm not suggesting you get a Sony, but they also have the new Pearl screens, and if you love the screens on the Sonys, no question you'll love the screen on the K3, which I hear some consider even a bit better.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #38
ttluisa
Enthusiast
ttluisa began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Do you know if Kindle DX Graphite has pearl screen? Because if it's so, I think I see worse than I thought, I haven't noted so much difference.
As for what I know the DXG does not have pearl screen.
ttluisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #39
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
If the choice is between Kindle and Kobo, there's really no comparison. Get the Kindle. There's no reason to go cheap on the Kobo when the Kindle is effectively the same price.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DXG does have the pearl screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #41
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Phx View Post
If the choice is between Kindle and Kobo, there's really no comparison. Get the Kindle. There's no reason to go cheap on the Kobo when the Kindle is effectively the same price.
Honestly, there are some reasons to not get a Kindle... but for many users, the Kindle is absolutely the best reason to get the Kindle. Here is the list I can determine...

1. Tied to Amazon for DRM'd books: This is probably the biggest reason to not get a Kindle. Unlike the e-book readers that support ADE, there is only one store to get books with Kindle DRM. Now, you can (though potentially illegal) strip the DRM off ePub books and convert them to Kindle if you so choose, but that can get rather inconvenient. That being said, if there is any price difference in book prices between Amazon and other books stores, it tends to be in your favor. Amazon also has the best selection of newer books. So, choosing to skip the Kindle for this reason is more ideological than practical (Though to some of us, that is important enough).

2. No user expandable memory: With 4 GB of memory, this is not a real issue if you plan on using your ebook reader for well reading. It can be an issue though if you plan on storing a lot of music on the device.

3. No user replaceable batter: In all probability, barring damage, the battery in the Kindle will last for a couple of years. For most people, by then they will be ready to move on to the next generation of readers. I also believe Amazon will replace the unit if you send it in to them. Still, some of us like readers where you can easily replace the battery yourself.

4. It has a lot of buttons on it: This is a question of individual preference. The keyboard and other buttons on the Kindle work well, but some users prefer a cleaner design. For a wifi enabled device though, I can see many real practical alternatives other than a touch screen.

5. No support from public libraries: If your local library (or one you can access anyway) has a decent selection of e-books, this is probably the biggest strike against the Kindle. Again, you can strip the DRM off of library books...

Now, before anyone accuse me of bashing the Kindle, I would say, for most people (at least those who are not dedicated library users or who have ideological issues with Kindle's closed ecosystem) the Kindle is easily the best choice of ebook reader. It's third generation has the best display available, its design has been refined greatly since the first generation and its excellent integration with Kindle software for other platforms means that you can literally read your book regardless of where you are. Leave your reader at home? But have your smart phone? No problem, pull your book up on the Kindle App and start reading exactly where you left off (Though I am pretty sure you need to make sure the wireless on the Kindle needs to be on for this function to work..).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Now, before anyone accuse me of bashing the Kindle, I would say, for most people (at least those who are not dedicated library users or who have ideological issues with Kindle's closed ecosystem) the Kindle is easily the best choice of ebook reader. It's third generation has the best display available, its design has been refined greatly since the first generation and its excellent integration with Kindle software for other platforms means that you can literally read your book regardless of where you are. Leave your reader at home? But have your smart phone? No problem, pull your book up on the Kindle App and start reading exactly where you left off (Though I am pretty sure you need to make sure the wireless on the Kindle needs to be on for this function to work..).

--
Bill
No bashing here. You did a fine job of saying what I would have said in response to each of those concerns.

It really does come down to which e-reader you feel most comfortable with. There are pros and cons to each reader. When I was shopping I had a choice between Sony and the Kindle. I am sure there were other options but those were the two that I knew. The Kindle had a better bookstore and worked for me so that is what I asked for.

Today there are many more options. With all of those options, I would go with the Kindle still. I bought an e-reader to read and Amazon's bookstore is the best around. I have read were Nook users have ended up buying a Kindle because they could get books from Amazon and not for their Nook even with all the available, easy to sideload, book stores out there for the Nook.

I have found that I use the notes and highlights features infrequently but I like how easy it is too use when I do use it. I love the dictionary.

I had the K1 and was dismayed when the K2 came out with out a replaceable battery and memory card slot. Those were two good reasons for not upgrading. I figured out pretty fast that I never used the replaceable battery or the memory card slot so had no problem buying a DXG.

Go to Best Buy and check out the Sony, Nook, and Kindle. See which one feels most comfortable in your hand and has the features you like the most. Buy that one.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #43
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Oh, the ones at Officeworks are way too expensive for what they are.
Absolutely agree. I went again this morning to look at OW, also went to JB, both stores had their ereader selection out and unuseable having been damaged by kids on school hols in the last weeks I suppose. Prices were $100+ more expensive than Sony's readers. Definitely NOT a goer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I'm not sure where you live, so I suppose the hookup thread isn't of any help? If your doubts are related to the screen only, try finding one of the new Sonys which are also stocked at Borders and Myer. I'm not suggesting you get a Sony, but they also have the new Pearl screens, and if you love the screens on the Sonys, no question you'll love the screen on the K3, which I hear some consider even a bit better.
I went to Westfield Kotara where I knew there is a Borders. co-incidentally I parked near the DJs entrance and was faced with the electronics section as I walked in. Sony readers on display. a GOOD display. I went down to Borders anyway, but they only had display models and the Kobo (which for a while I was interested in). Kobo was too big for what I wanted. Sony 5" looked good but lost it on the lack of expansion via SD or somesuch. They had no covers with lights. Went back to DJs and bought the Touch PRS-650 on the spot and it is charging as we speak.

I've downloaded the Adobe Library Manager, was initially a bit narked about not just being able to drag'n'drop without using that but hey, I use iTunes for my iPhone and iPad so really... same ol same ol. Its all good Can't wait to start reading on epaper with a lightweight gadget. The iPad is just too heavy for longtime reading. The 650 is going to be wonderful

In the end I guess I made that choice rather than Kindle because of the greater flexibility in terms of filetypes, and also that I could see and handle it as opposed to buy from Amazon and hope for the best because I don't know a soul who has a Kindle I can look at.

I'm poorer but happy
Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #44
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
FWIW when I started looking at e-readers, my choice in the end, based on features, came down to either the Kobo or the Nook. I was a bit worried about how the Nook was tied to B&N, but since I was most interested in the epub format, that was not such a concern.

In the end, neither was then available to me as I live in Sweden. I could have got my daughter, who lives in the US to buy one, but I opted for a locally available product, the Iriver, which is OK and I'm happy with my purchase.

So I'd vote to go with the Kobo. Another reason is that, as yet, the Kindle does not support epub. That's a big miss, in my opinion, and, as I have forecast elsewhere, I would not be surprised if Amazon don't give up on this point before long.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
FWIW when I started looking at e-readers, my choice in the end, based on features, came down to either the Kobo or the Nook. I was a bit worried about how the Nook was tied to B&N, but since I was most interested in the epub format, that was not such a concern.

In the end, neither was then available to me as I live in Sweden. I could have got my daughter, who lives in the US to buy one, but I opted for a locally available product, the Iriver, which is OK and I'm happy with my purchase.

So I'd vote to go with the Kobo. Another reason is that, as yet, the Kindle does not support epub. That's a big miss, in my opinion, and, as I have forecast elsewhere, I would not be surprised if Amazon don't give up on this point before long.
I have not had any problem finding books to read with my Kindle and I have not had to strip any drm or convernt any files.

I would be shocked if Amazon allows EPub on the Kindle

Tags
kindle 3, kobo