Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
unrooted by itself

Not sure if I was supposed to unroot before doing the update the other day. Everything seemed to go well except I did lose some books side loaded into Kobo
Tonight I went to use ConnectBot and I had read only. SO went looking for Superuser and it was gone. Tried rooting the device and it fails.
"not sure what happened either the exploit failed or the reboot failed....."

any ideas how I should proceded?
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Install gingerbreak again?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Enable USB debugging again?
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yeah, when I updated I forgot to unroot. I had reroot when the update was finished using Gingerbread, and uninstall all the apps that had been reinstalled with the update.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

rebooted, enabled USB, reinstalled Gingerbreak, rebooted.
Did some Googling and saw some posts where people were saying GingerBreak stopped working(other devices) claimed Android developers had patched something.

I did notice that when running GingerBreak it unmounts my internal SD card and it is not remounted. I did not notice this the first time I rooted.
Is that normal?
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Yes, that's normal.

I'm guessing you didn't unroot before updating? And did you uninstall Gingerbreak, then reboot and reinstall it, then reroot?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

It's not important to unroot at all - most of the time, OTA updates simply replace the whole system folder (and both Kobo updates did that).
GJSmith, did you get jefftheworlds version of Gingerbreak (sticky thread, post 2)? Works here. Kobo devs didn't patch anything in regard to this.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
GJSmith
Connoisseur

OK then so did the reboot after uninstall as I had not tried that before and this time when reinstalled it rooted. Thanks!

By the way why would it need to be unrooted to install an update?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
hieronymos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
why would it need to be unrooted to install an update?
It doesn't :-) It's a myth coming from iOS.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
It doesn't :-) It's a myth coming from iOS.
It may not be necessary, but I like to reduce the number of variables that come around when doing firmware upgrades when they happen, especially coming off of some... difficult Android firmware upgrades. I didn't have the problems personally, but I've seen the so-called bricks need a lot of work to restore, including custom-building jig cables.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote