Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #301
TacoGS
TacoGS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I appreciate the explanation, that makes things clearer than they have been.

I appreciate the PM with the information. I am also surprised the source code is not readily available since I believe the majority of what is seen is GPL.

When I removed the card and inserted it into the card reader it became very apparent when I saw the directory structure that it was a stripped down linux build.

I should have seen it coming since the extensions on files are .so after all.

I wonder which one is the driver for the interesting screen they have on it that can still display without a battery attached (I disconnected it).
TacoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #302
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
EInk screens do not require power to display images. When powered off they retain the last screen image.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #303
TacoGS
TacoGS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
That is what I thought (didn't know the name EInk though). Sounded like a change state technology that only need power to flip it.

This would explain why it sat there for four months without changing its screen after being long dead. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
TacoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #304
Rafael69
Rafael69 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch N905C
Hello there!

Have been a very happy owner of Kobo Touch N605C, till i encountered problems with it.
As have read this forum, i am sure that micro SD card image would solve the problem.

Since i have an intention to buy a new 2GB card, would really appretiate if someone can help me out with it and some basic instructions, to make it right.

Thank you very much in advance.
Rafael
Rafael69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #305
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGS View Post
I appreciate the explanation, that makes things clearer than they have been.

I appreciate the PM with the information. I am also surprised the source code is not readily available since I believe the majority of what is seen is GPL.

When I removed the card and inserted it into the card reader it became very apparent when I saw the directory structure that it was a stripped down linux build.

I should have seen it coming since the extensions on files are .so after all.
Yes, it is a custom Linux build and hence a lot of is under the GPL or other similar license. But, nickel, the application that is what you are using when reading books is not. Is a proprietary application written by Kobo's and uses several proprietary libraries from them and other people. Plus there are licensed dictionaries, fonts, drivers and other things. The bulk of the firmware package is probably open source, but the bits that make it a Kobo ereader are not.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #306
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael69 View Post
Hello there!

Have been a very happy owner of Kobo Touch N605C, till i encountered problems with it.
As have read this forum, i am sure that micro SD card image would solve the problem.

Since i have an intention to buy a new 2GB card, would really appretiate if someone can help me out with it and some basic instructions, to make it right.
I assume you meant "N905C". A PM for the image for that is on it's way.

For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. It is for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools needed are the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #307
Rafael69
Rafael69 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch N905C
I do appologize. Yes, i meant N905C and the best part is, it is already fixed thanks to your prompt reply and assistant.
Thank you very much, one more time.

Kind Regards
Rafael
Rafael69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kobo, kobo wifi, sd card, wifi