Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
BoB and Kindle

I bought an ebook from Books on Board about a week ago. I converted it to MOBI to put on my Kindle Paperwhite. I noticed that the book isn't formatted properly on the Kindle. I am aware that their book format (ADOBE ePub) isn't compatible for the Kindle but it is for the Nook and many other ereaders. I've already finished the book but I went back to take a picture of what I'm referring to. As you can see, there are a lot of spacing between each paragraph, nearly the whole book has uneven spacing on the Kindle. Wide margins on one side also but I couldn't recall the location. Is this the same when reading books from BoB on supported ereaders or is the problem just affecting the Kindle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	96221  

Last edited by Gazella; 11-25-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's almost certainly just a case of this particular book bring badly formatted. Do you see the same wide paragraph spacing when you load the original ePub into ADE?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's almost certainly just a case of this particular book bring badly formatted. Do you see the same wide paragraph spacing when you load the original ePub into ADE?
What's ADE?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe's desktop software for displaying ePub files (among other things). A free download from adobe.com.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe's desktop software for displaying ePub files (among other things). A free download from adobe.com.
Oh yes I have ADE. I remember viewing the book with the software but I can't recall if there were spacings. I'm going to have to check again when I'm back home. So if there are spacing when opening the book with ADE, does that mean that the problem is with the book? Or is it the same with all BoB books?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It means the problem is in the book. This has nothing to do with BoB - that's certain. It's either a problem with the original book (by far the most likely thing), which is the fault of the book's publisher, or it's an artefact of the conversion process (unlikely). But either way it has absolutely nothing to do with the store that you bought it from.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
It means the problem is in the book. This has nothing to do with BoB - that's certain. It's either a problem with the original book (by far the most likely thing), which is the fault of the book's publisher, or it's an artefact of the conversion process (unlikely). But either way it has absolutely nothing to do with the store that you bought it from.
That's what I thought as well but I wanted to make sure before buying more books that this isn't the case with all BoB books. I thought that if it looked like that on a Kindle it will certainly not be any different on an ereader supported by BoB.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You are correct. That's why I advised you to see what the ePub original looked like in ADE.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
You are correct. That's why I advised you to see what the ePub original looked like in ADE.
I accessed my BoB account and saw the download to Bluefire Reader next to the purchased book. I thought since I have my iPad with me, I'd download the app via the App Store and open the book. This is how the same page looks on the Bluefire Reader on my iPad. As you can see, the spacing isn't as wide as on the Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	96232  
Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's still way too wide. It's definitely a fault in the book.

You can clean it up in Calibre.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
You can clean it up in Calibre.
How do I do that?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
@Gazella20: You might try opening the epub file in Sigil. A quick way to fix the spacing issue is to find and open the epub's CSS file and add the following code on a new line at the end of the file:

Code:
body, div, p, h1, h2, h3, h4 { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
Save the epub, and exit Sigil. You can then re-convert the epub to mobi in calibre and transfer the mobi to your Kindle, hopefully without all the gaps between paragraphs.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The easy way is to check the "Remove blank lines between paragraphs" box in the conversion options. This may or may not work. If it doesn't, you need to find out what it is that's actually causing the issue (ie look at the book's source code) and then fix that.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
@Gazella20: You might try opening the epub file in Sigil. A quick way to fix the spacing issue is to find and open the epub's CSS file and add the following code on a new line at the end of the file:

Code:
body, div, p, h1, h2, h3, h4 { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
Save the epub, and exit Sigil. You can then re-convert the epub to mobi in calibre and transfer the mobi to your Kindle, hopefully without all the gaps between paragraphs.
Quote:
The easy way is to check the "Remove blank lines between paragraphs" box in the conversion options. This may or may not work. If it doesn't, you need to find out what it is that's actually causing the issue (ie look at the book's source code) and then fix that.
I'll try your suggestions and see what works best. Thanks.