Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Epub File Won't Open Properly in FBreader

I have a series of epub files that when I open them in FBreader I get a page with just the title and author and nothing else. The bottom says page 1 of 1 so the program thinks that is it.

However I can read them in Calibre fine. I also can read them fine on the PB360 using ADE. It's only FBreader that has the problem.

Any suggestions?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I've seen that issue but *not* on PB360.
Where the files ever DRM'ed? Any idea how they were made?
(When in doubt, blame DRM. ADE is also a good scapegoat but not this time. )
If they are calibre conversions to ePub, try converting with different settings or a different target. For fun, try converting to mobi, lit, or fb2 and back to ePub.

(Thing is, Calibre has a strong ADE-bias; whenever there is an issue it gets recoded to output files that display properly in ADE. Other apps that stick to the spec find themselves at a disadvantage.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These were old .lit files. No DRM. They were converted with Calibre.

They display fine in the desktop FBreader.

Thanks,
Marcy
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lits...
That means they could be multi-part files from Readerworks.
Sounds like it might be an issue (somewhere) with the internal links.

I would definitely try converting them to something other than ePub, preferably a single-file HTML or RTF, and then use the single file to go to ePub.

Try one and see if it works.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I use Calibre to convert my LIT files, but I ouput to FB2 and I've never had a problem. Maybe try that.

Good luck.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru

That's what I did. I want everything saved as epubs, since almost all readers read that, but for this one series I used FB2. Now they work!

-Marcy
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
That's what I did. I want everything saved as epubs, since almost all readers read that, but for this one series I used FB2. Now they work!

-Marcy
Great that you got them working I originally thought about converting to epub for that very reason, but I'd heard good things about fb2 and don't plan on getting rid of my PB360 any time soon. I keep all my originals, so I can always convert them again later if I need a different format.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

-Marcy
I'm still curious; could you try converting one of the FB2s to ePub?
My expectation is that it shoud result in a functional ePub, but expectations aren't always met...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I'm still curious; could you try converting one of the FB2s to ePub?
My expectation is that it shoud result in a functional ePub, but expectations aren't always met...
I guess you would be right, fj.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote