Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Proof Of Concept - RSS->PDF

Hi, this is my first post and I'm one of the many waiting for Sony to deliver my reader so in the meantime I've been working on creating content.

If it's possible for someone who has their reader could they check out my progress and see if it works before I continue development.

If you go to http://www.mysonyreader.com you will be presented with a dynamically created pdf containing the last 20 stories from gizmodo.com.

Just save the pdf and check that it works and is readable.

I think I have it generating the correct page size for the reader although I can't check the font size, margins or contrast etc. Right now it strips all the html from the file so it's plain text.

My future plans include -

- Being able to subscribe to multiple feeds and then download one combined pdf or even have it emailed you daily

- Including the images from the original feed

- Allowing you to select the font size & style

- Actually building a site to house all of this

- Adding a developers area to above site so people can contribute to this project.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in playing with the code to do this, let me know and I'll post the details.

Rob

P.S. If you get a domain placeholder page - give it a few hours as I just registered the domain and it may not have propagated everywhere yet.
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I loaded it up and it looks great! Pagination is perfect!
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What language is the code in? I'd be interested in messing with it.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
sartori
Connoisseur

Language

It's in php. I'll tidy it up a bit and add some comments and post it for you.

Rob
Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooh, php. I like my php. Thanks, I'll see if I can get anything interesting/useful out of it.

Last edited by Kaitou Ace; 10-07-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
sartori
Connoisseur

Ok, you can see the code at :

http://www.mysonyreader.com/index_commented.phps

The actual pdf generation is about 10 lines of code in the middle.

Keep in mind I'm not a php programmer by trade so it may be a bit untidy - hopefully theres not too many wtf? parts in there

I'd been interested in taking a look at any improvements you add.

Rob
Old 10-07-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

thanks sartori , great work
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
You do know that you can't just publically redistribute copyrighted content, do you?

Looks good, though.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #9
sartori
Connoisseur

Yes I know - The included libraries are GPL - If you google for them you can see their individual licenses. Once I get things together a little more I will include all the details in the code. I was more looking to see if it works at this point.

As far as the content - it's from the gizmodo RSS feed - not sure on the legality of distributing it - but I did not remove any copyright notices or advertising that they include in their feeds.

There are so many news aggregator services out there that have this content and all different rss feeds so I'm not sure how that works. The only difference is this code repackages it and sends it to your browser as a pdf rather than html.

I noticed that many feeds only offer a brief summary of the articles (or even just a title) so that you have to go to their site to read the whole thing. I wouldn't 'scrape' their sites to get the full content as they obviously don't want you to do that.

If anyone has a definitive answer or more opinions on that it would be good to know. If I can get the code together it might be a good idea to approach the feed suppliers to ask permission? Maybe have people suggest feeds that they would like to read?

If it turns out that it's not a good idea to use the feeds, I will probably continue to develop the code - one of my ideas for it is to interface with your own google calendar rss feed so you could take 2-3 weeks of your calendar with you on your reader.

Rob

Edit: For now I have switched the feed over to http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Main_Page - it's a free news feed that is released under the creative commons license. I'll look into this in more detail tomorrow - after I get some sleep

Last edited by sartori; 10-07-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Rob,

it looks nice so far. I agree that a lot depens on the content (and validity) of RSS feed itself. In ideal case I would like to see something like this

-----------------------------------
Site/RSS Name
Generation Date
TOC:
Article name 1 (<--Link)
Article name 2 (<--Link)
Article name 3 (<--Link)

Article name 1
Picture
Text

And NO comments
-----------------------------------

On practice though, it means that one needs to scan RSS feed, then follow URL to an article, and grab only meanfull part of Ads infested page. So you need to know page structure of every site and follow its changes. In Gizmodo case it would be everything between
Code:
<div class="PostText">
</div>
And that's a lot of hard work And I believe that Sony should do it

Small thing. Instead of source code, http://www.mysonyreader.com/index_commented.phps page redirects to Gizmodo pdf.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

As Slava said, the security settings on your server seem to keep the source from being seen in the phps page.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like this could turn out into a useful tool! Add me to the list of those interested to play with the code
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
sartori
Connoisseur

Sorry that the link didn't work - the code is attached as a text file.

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: txt index.txt (2.5 KB, 581 views)