Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
pshute
Enthusiast
pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPad Air
Is Open Ebook the same as ePub? Can Sony read them all?

I'm interested in this book:
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/boo...0316192392.htm

It says it's available in Open Ebook format. Is that the same as ePub? I can only find it actually for sale at Barnes and Noble, where it claims it's in Nook format.

Would I be able to read it on the Sony if I get it from there?
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I can find it at Sony's Reader Store in epub format.

Not sure of any geo-restrictions.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/ber..._US&swto=1
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
It says it's available in Open Ebook format. Is that the same as ePub?
It's not the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_eBook
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
I'm interested in this book:
http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/boo...0316192392.htm

Would I be able to read it on the Sony if I get it from there?
Yes and No . . .

YES, the Barnes and Nobel books are internally in a standard EPUB format, so they can be made compatible with other EPUB compatible reader devices like the Sony Readers, but NO they are not readable on any of the Sony Readers as Downloaded from Barnes and Nobel because B&N's DRM format is different than Sony's.

To make B&N's books compatible with your other EPUB devices, you would have to strip off this proprietary DRM layer leaving a standard EPUB, and there is a free tool called 'ignoble' available on the internet to do this, but providing help in removing DRM (even from your legally purchased titles) is a big bozo-no-no, so we can't give you a direct link or assistance with this software on this forum.

. . . In any case, since someone was kind enough to check the availability of this title at the Sony Store, the simpler solution would be to just purchase it there.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
pshute
Enthusiast
pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I can find it at Sony's Reader Store in epub format.

Not sure of any geo-restrictions.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/ber..._US&swto=1
Thanks for that. How come Calibre doesn't search that store? I assumed it did.

Should I be asking this in the Calibre forum?

And is that the best version of the book for me to buy? I assume it'll only ever work on a Sony, but is there any hope that there'll be a version that'll work on several readers? I guess DRM has to have some sort of restrictions.

Sorry for the beginner questions, but I've only ever downloaded free books before, this will be my first purchase.

If I do get it from the Sony store, it says I need the Sony software installed. Is there any way around that? I'd rather not installed extra stuff if I don't really need it.
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
pshute
Enthusiast

I just tried going to the Sony Store via the reader itself, and it just says "Reader Store opening this Autumn". I assume this means it's worked out I'm in Australia and has directed me to a store that doesn't exist yet. No idea if they mean Australian autumn (now) or northern hemisphere autumn (6 months away).

So what now? Give up? Try the Calibre search again in a few days?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I just tried going to the Sony Store via the reader itself, and it just says "Reader Store opening this Autumn". I assume this means it's worked out I'm in Australia and has directed me to a store that doesn't exist yet. No idea if they mean Australian autumn (now) or northern hemisphere autumn (6 months away).

So what now? Give up? Try the Calibre search again in a few days?
I found a blog that discusses ebook resources in Australia.

Hope it helps.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
pshute
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I found a blog that discusses ebook resources in Australia.
Thanks for that, at least it shows I'm not alone.

I'm a bit intrigued about the results Amazon is giving me, irrespective of whether I could read them anyway. I tried changing the Amazon region setting to different regions, and I'm getting very different search results for this book around the world.

Comparing that to what I get from the Calibre results, I'm not sure what region Calibre thinks it's in. Does it have one?