Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Cybook Gen3 pricing - "standard practice", says Bookeen

It's been a long time coming, but the Cybook Gen3 e-reader is finally on sale; and immediately e-book fans started to wonder about Bookeen's dual pricing strategy - dollar versus euro price. TeleRead talked with Michael Dehan of Bookeen who was able to supply us with at least some kind of answer (satisfactory or not, I leave that to you):

Quote:
Concerning Euro-Dollar, don't forget VAT, taxes and shipment price. If we compare with standard practices in the Consumer Electronics industry, Apple proposes higher model prices in Euro than in US dollars on their Apple store, Sony does the same with the PS3, Archos (a French company) proposes the same model price in Euros and USD for their MPEG4 players.
Michael also explains how you can use the Cybook on an Apple Mac and how warranties in Europe differ from the US.

Jump over to TeleRead for the full article.

And thanks to MobileReader Barcey for the tip!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Mecki
Mecki began at the beginning.

Device: None
Well, if Bookeen doesn't change its price policy it is very simple:
I and a lot of Europeen people will not buy the Cybook Gen 3 e-reader!

It is, as I read in different threads, a personal choice to buy or not to buy the device (in other words to accept the price policy and that ridiculus argumentation of Bookeen).

I will wait a few weeks and if they don't change the stupid EUR = US Dollar price policy, I will order an iLiad. It is so simple like that...

I wish you all a beautifull day!
Mecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
as far as I can see, there are no pro's for bookeen against the sony reader. The specs are equal. Guarantee? You still need need to do the shipping to get things repaired.

For the price, i'd rather get the sony reader. Even with import taxes, it will be cheaper.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
VAT is 19.6% in France, so with a 1€=1.20$ rate this price would be fair,
once more even if it's true that we get fucked in europe by apple and sony
(apple applies a 1€=1$ policy, then add the french piracy tax which
depends on the size of the storage device) it's still not a good reason.

Michael is really childish : "don't blame me, they did it first!"
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
For the price, i'd rather get the sony reader. Even with import taxes, it will be cheaper.
Were do you live? If I do the math the price in dollars is the same as the price in Euro

When I buy in Europe I pay 350 + 15.50 transport. That makes 365.50 Euro

When I buy in the US I pay

Price $350 + customs (around 10%) $35 + Transport from the US to Europe 50$ makes $435. VAT 19.5% over the total gives a total of $ 520. Divide bij 1.41 gives you 364 Euro. And it will give you problems with warranty.

And even if I would live in a country were it would be a 25 Euro cheaper I wouldn't want the hassel.

Last edited by Ortep; 10-31-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
as far as I can see, there are no pro's for bookeen against the sony reader. The specs are equal. Guarantee? You still need need to do the shipping to get things repaired.

There are a lot of pros for the bookeen. The most important for me is that it supports more formats natively and it has dictionary lookup. Also the pdf support seems to be much better. And it weights less and is thinner.

Last edited by tompe; 10-31-2007 at 09:53 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Another pro might be that they are a relatively small company, thus better able to react to customers' (speak: our) wishes.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I've been angry about this whole US - EU pricing madness for a while now...
If a US-produced device were more expensive here than it is in the Us then that would be OK, but since all the devices are actually produced somewhere in Asia these days there is just no reason why the pricing should be so unfair.

Even if you take into account that you have to pay approx. 20% import-VAT in Germany (please don't get me started on the unfairness of that tax...) it would still mean that we could get our stuff for 20% less in € than it costs in $ because the € to $ ratio is around 40% at the moment...
But that's corporate policy for you, and if a european company does it to it's customers then I'd simply not buy from them.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
CommanderROR, ist not only 19% VAT, but an additional import tax. It depends on the goods though, but its probably something like 5 to 10% in germany for ereaders.

So it basically sucks. But there is no use complaining about it. We could move though But who would want to live somewhere else than germany
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I could imagine living somehwere outside germany, but not in the US...so it would not solve the problem for me...I guess I'll just stay where I am then
I don't feel like moving right now anyway since I just had the whole rigmarole...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
but its probably something like 5 to 10% in germany for ereaders.
I've checked and in France there is no import tax for ereaders (as long as it's not
considered as a PDA). Maybe it's the same in Germany ?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
In South Africa we have to pay 14% V.A.T. but no duties at all on any technology items. It has made stuff cheaper but shipping to here is high.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I bought my Sony Reader, I had to pay about 6% import duty, plus 17.5% VAT. To add insult to injury, they charge you VAT on the import duty .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Dear Mr. Michael Dehan

Dear Mr. Michael Dehan

I have tried to write reply to this thread several times.
Every time I tried to express my sentiments towards your so-called "standard practices" my reply quickly became unpublishable.

Let me translate your words into plain English:
"Other manufacturers are screwing their European customers so we can screw them too"

$1 is NOT equal to 1Euro
If I purchase Sony Reader with some accessories in USA for $350 and then add 20% Value Added Tax and then add "3year accidental handling damage Warranty" it still will not be 350Euro.

Please notice that 3year accidental handling damage "Warranty" from Sony is MUCH more than your standard European 2 year warranty. Please do not try that Male Bovine Excrement with “the principle of the conformity of the product with the contract”. Look what iRex promised with their Illiad and look at what they delivered. Yet I have yet to hear about their returning money because their "pdf reading capability" did not satisfy some customer. And do not let me started on battery life ....

Please notice that I do not include Shipping cost in my example. This is because American ebook devices and YOUR ebook devices are both manufactured on Taiwan (or a similar place. Definitely not in Europe or USA)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Kacir,

The fact that Bookeen have had a massive response to the release of the Gen3 shows that, from a business perspective, they've got the price right. As long as they continue to be able to sell every machine they can make, they have absolutely no incentive to change the pricing structure. Many companies set different prices in different parts of the world. They have an absolutely right to do so, just as you have a right to decide whether or not to buy from them.

Seems to me that they've got the price right, judging from the flood of initial orders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote