Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Any one getting apps from android market?

I don't really get the whole supported apps thing.
Is it possible to go to other android apps sites besides getjar to install apps?
I've looked on some other sites and they have a lot more free apps with better descriptions.
For example mint.com is a free financial app that is not on getjar.
Also many apps for banks like cibc, royal bank, etc.

I not sure but I think they would have to be downloaded to a computer and installed on a microsd card or by usb cable? Is that how it works?
Any help appreciated...
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
You can download them directly with the vox and install it with the installer. You just need to find them in apk format. For some store, I can't help you since many offer free paid app.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are several threads about using other app stores. You're right, there are a whole lot of them. Android Market capabilities are not part of the vox, though it is only a matter of time before instructions regarding successful installs of it and other google apps should be forthcoming when people have played a bit more.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Without the market I really don't see the use of the Vox/Kindle Fire. From what I read, to have the market the manufacturer needs to spport specific guidelines by google. So either Kobo didn't bother or to cut down on cost didn't support these guidelines (I have no idea what those are).

Maybe when people have rooted the Vox you will be able to have the market working but don't expect support from google (and Kobo won't be able help you there). But it might not be a 1 button install, and not be accessible to Kobo target users. But what I see is people will instead be turning to cracked apps when there is already a lot of piracy on android.

The Vox is basically 100$ cheaper than a regular 7" android tablet, where you can have the full android experience. And even there if you find some sales you could have them pretty much the same price. So someone will just rip the custom Kobo apk's out from the device and post them where you can use them if the default Android app is not enough.

Or people will just install the Amazon App Store to have paid apps, see the irony here?

Last edited by Nigol; 10-31-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
...So someone will just rip the custom Kobo apk's out from the device and post them where you can use them if the default Android app is not enough...
That's what I'm in search of. There is no Kobo app for tablets in the Android Market. Been looking in Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer Iconia A500 forums. These devices come with the custom Kobo app not available to others. I found the custom .apk from the Galaxy Tab 7 inch, but it's outdated.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have Opera running, dropbox installed, can send gmail, use twitter, facebook, google plus, overdrive, and read my books. I bought a reader with benefits and did not expect more than Vox can deliver.

PS: Vox has root on XDA, but last time I checked, no one had succesfully installed Market yet. GingerBreak will root it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1323660

Last edited by taming; 10-31-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: PS
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have Opera running, dropbox installed, can send gmail, use twitter, facebook, google plus, overdrive, and read my books. I bought a reader with benefits and did not expect more than Vox can deliver.

PS: Vox has root on XDA, but last time I checked, no one had succesfully installed Market yet. GingerBreak will root it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1323660
can you keep your twitter & gmail open while doing other things like reading...so if a new email comes you are notified and switch over to read it?
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's what I'm in search of. There is no Kobo app for tablets in the Android Market. Been looking in Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer Iconia A500 forums. These devices come with the custom Kobo app not available to others. I found the custom .apk from the Galaxy Tab 7 inch, but it's outdated.
I have an Acer A500 and didn't even tried opening it, just happy to read book with my Touch. You could also rip the apk's from the ROMS available for the Iconia A500. Read the xda forums
Old 10-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
One thing I will note is the screen quality's better than the Acer Iconia A100, which seems overpriced for the screen size and the battery life it offers. If it was closer to $199, I might've considered it.

Maybe the Kal-El based tablets will be better overall, but the Kobo Vox is a decent tablet for the price. Plus, I've yet to see an actual sale where they dropped the price that low. The lowest they've ever gotten, that I've seen, is $249 for anything reputable - and there aren't many good 7" tablets out there, ATM. Samsung's overpriced its regular Galaxy Tab 7+, ditto the Galaxy Tab 8.9, and we've yet to see the 7" Thrive that Toshiba announced. Plus, being blunt, full Honeycomb's kinda awful as a tablet interface.

Even HP did better than that, and the TouchPad's SLOW without fixing the logging issues it has.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Actually, it may not be enough to get the android market onto the Vox.

I have done a lot of searching in the last few days since I got my Vox and there are a lot of android phone users who have the market app already on their phones and who have even downloaded free apps from the app market who can not buy the paid apps. It seems that if the market does not think that you have a compatible device then no joy. When I go to the site it says "You don't have any devices". However, lots of people with phones that came with the app market installed are also seeing the same message.

One thing I am going to try, at least for the free apps, is to see if someone with an android device that has the market, will download and email them to me so I can install from the microSD.

Larry

ps. I am getting NOTHING done, just playing with my VOX.

LJ.
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Well, I was able to install the google framework service.
I was also able to install the android market, but I am not stop at "You don't have any devices", but at the connection of a google acount. I still have some part that I need to install to be able to connect to a google account, the connection can't be made without it.

My goal is to have access to all the google app more than the market, if you know of to search, you can find almost every app.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
I have done a lot of searching in the last few days since I got my Vox and there are a lot of android phone users who have the market app already on their phones and who have even downloaded free apps from the app market who can not buy the paid apps. It seems that if the market does not think that you have a compatible device then no joy. When I go to the site it says "You don't have any devices". However, lots of people with phones that came with the app market installed are also seeing the same message.
It happened to me while testing a custom ROM or when people tried to use the new market and uninstalled it since it was not for tablet, but mostly if your device comes with the market it should work. Just make sure to do a nandroid backup before playing with it.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
I installed Google Services Framework 2.2.1 and Vending 3.0.26 on my rooted Vox. I get a nice "set up an account" screen when I launched the Market app, but when I tried to log in with my Google account, I only got "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" error, followed by a force-close of the Market process. I can verify I have a network connection, though. After a reboot, the Market app force-closes every time...
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I installed Google Services Framework 2.2.1 and Vending 3.0.26 on my rooted Vox. I get a nice "set up an account" screen when I launched the Market app, but when I tried to log in with my Google account, I only got "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" error, followed by a force-close of the Market process. I can verify I have a network connection, though. After a reboot, the Market app force-closes every time...
Did you install the basic Google apps as well? We had this issue on the rooted NOOKcolor some time. Try logging into a Google app besides Market. On the NOOKcolor we had to log into Google Talk. You can try clearing data and cache on the Market app.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I installed SlideMe app (app store) and have added some apps through direct downloads (opera mobile).Its not Android Market but I figure this will tide me over until some improvements occur...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote