Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
NineOne
NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Dead (non-responsive) spots?

I've found that the Kobo sits nicely in my left hand, with my pinky supporting the bottom, and my ring finger tapping the very bottom right corner of the screen.

Lately tapping the very bottom right right like I always do gets me a page turn 1 in 5 times, if I'm lucky. It's unbelievably frustrating, and I'm going to exchange the Kobo this weekend for a new one, unless someone knows what might be going wrong?
NineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
kklee
kklee is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOne View Post
I've found that the Kobo sits nicely in my left hand, with my pinky supporting the bottom, and my ring finger tapping the very bottom right corner of the screen.

Lately tapping the very bottom right right like I always do gets me a page turn 1 in 5 times, if I'm lucky. It's unbelievably frustrating, and I'm going to exchange the Kobo this weekend for a new one, unless someone knows what might be going wrong?
I noticed the same thing. I thought it was just me getting confused about where I was tapping. It started happening a few days after I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I haven't exchanged mine yet, I might do it this weekend.
kklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
That might be an issue with the firmware not the unit itself. I would suggest contacting Support and seeing how they weigh in on the issue. That said, its your call on handling it but i know the color you want or orgianlly chose may not be available.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
HPG
Enthusiast
HPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Android phone
I've found the same thing. It's a band across the screen that doesn't respond, almost at the bottom of the screen. I took it back and exchanged it, only to find that the replacement unit is exactly the same. Next stop -- contacting Support, I guess.
HPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Is it possible some dust or crumbs or something is blocking the infrared sensors that run all around the edge of the screen?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I had the same problem on my first Kobo Touch. I discovered while trying to enter a website into the browser that certain letters, all in a column, didn't work. I ended up having to exchange mine.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
HPG
Enthusiast

I don't think it's dust -- two units in a row with the identical problem argue against that, and it looks pretty clean under the bezel. Someone elsewhere suggested that it might be a software problem. Anyway, I've handed it over to the support people to see if they know what's going on.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
When I emailed support about the issue, their response was to return it.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
HPG
Enthusiast

Ah -- interesting. I wonder if they're worried now that too many might be sent back, so they're trying delaying tactics?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I notice that I need a certain "amount of pressure" with my finger - otherwise the Kobo doesn't change.
Being a totally "religious Kobo believer" my theory is that the designers wanted us, users, to not just "touch" to switch pages, but to develop "the" sense that is needed to actually activate the page turn mechanism and other functions.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
HPG
Enthusiast

I find that for almost all of the screen it only needs a very light touch, presumably because the IR sensors don't need any pressure.

Your post stimulated me to do some more testing, revealing that there's something very curious about this particular dead band (please bear in mind that I'm very new to this device, so what I'm writing here may eventually turn out to be nonsense).

Normally, if you hold your finger on, say, the right-hand side of the screen and you then touch anywhere else on the screen with a second finger, the unit pages forward. In other words, the first "down" in any sequence seems to determine the nature of the action, and the unit ignores any subsequent "downs", but acts on any subsequent "ups", until it detects an "up" at the same location on the screen as the original "down".

If I'm holding a finger somewhere other than in the dead band on my unit (i.e. the first "down" is outside the dead band), it will respond to subsequent touches even within the dead band. Conversely, if I hold my finger within the dead band (i.e. the first "down" is within the dead band), the unit ignores any touches anywhere else on the screen. So it certainly looks as if it's detecting touches within the dead band, but it's processing these events differently from touches elsewhere on the screen.

All of which suggests that jackastor is quite right, and that there's a firmware issue here.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

I've noticed the same dead zone near the bottom of the screen. I've been able to reproduce the same tests that HPG did so hopefully it's only firmware related. The dead zone is rather irritating. I can consistently tap and/or swipe within the zone with no reaction from the device. Could somebody from Kobo comment on whether or not this might be fixable?
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
If it runs the length or width of the screen then you have an issue with the sensors. Please contact Kobo customer support.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Thanks for the quick response
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
If the screen dead zones were firmware related then shouldn't all KT's running that version of the firmware have the dead zone? And if that was the case there would be many more complaints about dead zones...
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote