Device: none
Help with a Test for an ePub book for a Nook

Hello

I am told by other members that even though an ePub book might look
ok in the programs for the PC - it may not look good on the actual
e-book reader

we do not have a Nook - although I am creating our new book for one
so is there a fellow member who has a nook that might help us to
see if our new book as an ePub will work on it?

also I have heard like for the Kindle, there is an emulation program or
app that Barnes and Noble offers - does any know how to get
this emulation program?

thank you for your help
all the best, we live and die by helping each other

Joshua
Joshua Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
At some point you are going to need access to an eink-reader. Some of their behavior and formatting features are strange. Keep in mind that the same Adobe Adept ebook software is built into Nook, Sony, kobo etc

I'll be buying a Nook touch precisely for testing (will receive Thursday)

The barnes and noble desktop ebook reader doesn't really simulate how an ebook really looks. you might as well be testing with Adobe Digital Editions.

Here are some things which jumped out at me about the Nook Touch

TOC only support one level
they have a user setting to enable publisher defaults.
hyphenation for titles is semi-broken. See this fix http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ook-color.html (I suspect it involves both nook color and touch)
widows and orphans seem to work ok. See (Liz Castro's Epub Straight to the Point ebook for details).

These are thoughts off the top of head.

Oops UPdate: It looks like Nook Color and Touch are not based on Adobe SDK, but Nook can apparently display ebooks through Adobe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-107697.html

So you can probably expect slight differences between it and Sony Reader for example.

Last edited by rjnagle; 06-21-2011 at 06:23 PM.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Shapiro View Post
we do not have a Nook - although I am creating our new book for one
so is there a fellow member who has a nook that might help us to
see if our new book as an ePub will work on it?
I have a Color, but not a Touch. If you want to see what it looks like on the Color let me know and I'll load it up and take some screen shots.

Quote:
also I have heard like for the Kindle, there is an emulation program or
app that Barnes and Noble offers - does any know how to get
this emulation program?
It's called Kindle Previewer and can be found here towards the bottom of the page...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle View Post
Oops UPdate: It looks like Nook Color and Touch are not based on Adobe SDK, but Nook can apparently display ebooks through Adobe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-107697.html
B&N does use the Adobe SDK (version 9.2 IIRC), they just use a different form of Adobe DRM (derived from B&N's eReader DRM).

Quote:
So you can probably expect slight differences between it and Sony Reader for example.
AFAIK there is some level of customization available with the SDK so any companies reader (ie; Sony vs. B&N, vs. Kobo, etc) can display slightly different.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
You could always put your ePub on a microSD card and bring it to a B&N store.

Stick it in the side of the display model, and your book should show up in the library so you can see how it really works.

(Unless you're not in the US...)
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Shapiro View Post
Hello

I am told by other members that even though an ePub book might look
ok in the programs for the PC - it may not look good on the actual
e-book reader
You want ADE for Windows to be able to test your eBooks. If yuou are also going to be doing them for iBooks, you'll need an actually iPad and an iPod Touch in order to see how they will look there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Joshua Shapiro
Joshua Shapiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions --

here is what I have discovered so far --

for the Nook there is Nook for the PC/Mac - there is an entry with this program where you can view your ePub file on your computer - just go to the Barnes and Noble website

for the Kindle, there is Kindle Previewer which will show how the Kindle e-book looks on the Ipad and Iphone but for Kindle we had to format our e-book differently

however to get a cheap ISBN which you need for Apple - we go to signup our book on Apple today - we found [pirate site] - which sells ISBN for $5 - instead of $125 from Bowker - and also you can post and sell your ePub book here and they will only deduct the paypal fee - but you need to have a paypal account - the owner told us our ePub book was find for the Apple

just can someone tell us how the font size works - is it like Kind one of five size or is it like the Nook with actual font sizes

I know there are other e-book readers out there but I believe if you can get it working for Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Apple this will be the largest markets - plus also Google is offering e-books too - ePub and PDF

I am thinking about writing about my experiences to get our first e-book setup as I can write in simple terms that are completely explained but not sure with our public lectures, and several more e-books planned for this year including getting our free ebook out there

I believe e-books are the future and we plan to get alot out there

also I would recommend but everyone seems so busy - that if members of this list would co-create an alliance where we just can help each other - this could speed up all our projects if you are into being a writer

I also want to acknowledge Jabby who also tested our e-book on his readers and graciously is being a mentor of sorts

bostonte - good suggestion about bringing a micro sd card to a store

JS wolf - thanks, I will be checking into ADE for Windows

so with Nook for the PC/Mac, Adobe Editions and I forget the name another epub viewer add on for Firefox - plus of course Calibre - allows you to view ePub

plus the best way to create ePub I found so far I found is make your book
in MS Word - or Atlantis word processor but I like to do it first in word and
then bring it over to Atlantis and then Atlantis will make the ePub which is
always valid - the only thing I found I had to do in Sigil, an ePub editor is
I like to have our cover on the first page of the e-book and there is some
xhtml code I found that makes sure this happens in all the ePub viewers

so these are my experiences -

now if anyone is curious about our book, it deals with the mysterious
crystal skulls (like the last Indiana Jones film, I am like this in real life) that
we met in Mexico in 2009 - probably find the book on Amazon or Barnes & Noble
(waiting for confirmation) and Apple hopefully today we will add (not sure how
long it takes) by searching on crystal skulls or my name (Joshua Shapiro)

it was interesting that Jabby already knew about crystal skulls and is just
another example of the synchronicities which happen

for those who want to really know about them,
our main website is at www.whoisjoshuashapiro.com

thanks everyone for adding to this discussion and hope the silent readers
also learn something

united we stand and divided we fall
a great weekend

Joshua - a wandering jew too

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-25-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Deleted links to a pirate ebook site. It sells ISBNs, but also hosts unauthorised copies of ebooks, e.g. Harry Potter.
Joshua Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote