Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is needed, is Balloon Help at the note location.
Can this really be done, or is it only a dream?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #32
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I'm talking out of my ass here, but my guess is that such functionality would be dependent on the e-reader software. Dictionary entries are displayed as pop-up balloons in Kindles, for instance, but that has nothing to do with the internal code of the book itself. Unless you could bundle javascript functionality (or something similar) in to a book, I don't see how this would be possible without the explicit support of the e-reader software.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
re: the bolded text— ...THANK YOU. That's a great idea, and one which i'm totally stealing. Kindles handle itsy-bitsy hyperlinks really well, but giving each endnote a little extra character width is just what the doctor ordered. I'm ebarrassed I didn't think of it myself; it's as if i've never read a wikipedia article in my entire life!
Feel free to steal.

I can't claim a single bit of the credit for conceiving the concept. In fact, I've found it to be fairly common practice (even in the "commercial" ebooks I purchase) nowadays. I just adopted it. I like it as an ebook creator AND as an ebook reader.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #34
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Yes. that can be done... In ePUB3. I have seen code for it at Liz' site.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yes. that can be done... In ePUB3. I have seen code for it at Liz' site.
Yes, BUT. ;-)

Unfortunately, it does not work on the vast majority of readers; it's ePUB3 only. {sigh}. I wish it did, but, them's the breaks, as they say. The link that Toxie is discussing is hither: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...pub-3-and.html

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #36
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Correct, that is why I said ePUB3. Alas.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The balloon pop-up would be the perfect solution. But then again ... I'm almost certain we'll end up with 27 different implementations to account for (when coding them) by the time it becomes common-place to support the feature.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The balloon pop-up would be the perfect solution. But then again ... I'm almost certain we'll end up with 27 different implementations to account for (when coding them) by the time it becomes common-place to support the feature.
the source document is controlled by the standard so placing a title in the tag around the area needing the foot note and displaying this title should be standardized. What button to use, exactly how it will look, etc. will differ among the readers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the source document is controlled by the standard so placing a title in the tag around the area needing the foot note and displaying this title should be standardized. What button to use, exactly how it will look, etc. will differ among the readers.
I get that. It's just that today's source documents are also supposed to be "controlled by the standard." And judging by the wide variety of implementations of ePub2's standards in practice ... I don't have a high level of confidence that future retailers/vendors and rendering engine developers are going to do any better consistently interpreting ePub3's "standard" than they did consistently interpreting ePub2's standard (not that the standard shouldn't shoulder a bit of the responsibility due to it's wishy-washy wording, but I see that same ample wiggle-room for interpretation in ePub3's wording as well).
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Finally! I´ve found the code, here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#footnotes

<p> Announcer: Number 16: The <i>hand</i>.
<p> Interviewer: Good evening. I have with me in the studio tonight
Mr Norman St John Polevaulter, who for the past few years has been
contradicting people. Mr Polevaulter, why <em>do</em> you
contradict people?
<p> Norman: I don't. <sup><a href="#fn1" id="r1">[1]</a></sup>
<p> Interviewer: You told me you did!
<section>
<p id="fn1"><a href="#r1">[1]</a> This is, naturally, a lie,
but paradoxically if it were true he could not say so without
contradicting the interviewer and thus making it false.</p>
</section>

Are my problems over now, or are they just beginning?

I had a mind to put the footnote material IN the text because it seemed so cumbersome to code, but this looks nice.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never indicated you were looking for coding examples of how to easily create links to (end|foot)notes.

Sigil won't like the HTML5 <section> tag, however. You'll have to get rid of those if you're trying to stick to ePub2.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you never indicated you were looking for coding examples of how to easily create links to (end|foot)notes.

Sigil won't like the HTML5 <section> tag, however. You'll have to get rid of those if you're trying to stick to ePub2.
I was maybe unclear, DD.

Sure I can remove <section>. Should it be replaced with something else?

And this seems to be an even bigger question than footnotes: Should I stick to ePub2?

(The irony of calling me "Connoisseur"....)
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Finally! I´ve found the code, here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/links.html#footnotes

<p> Announcer: Number 16: The <i>hand</i>.
<p> Interviewer: Good evening. I have with me in the studio tonight
Mr Norman St John Polevaulter, who for the past few years has been
contradicting people. Mr Polevaulter, why <em>do</em> you
contradict people?
<p> Norman: I don't. <sup><a href="#fn1" id="r1">[1]</a></sup>
<p> Interviewer: You told me you did!
<section>
<p id="fn1"><a href="#r1">[1]</a> This is, naturally, a lie,
but paradoxically if it were true he could not say so without
contradicting the interviewer and thus making it false.</p>
</section>

I had a mind to put the footnote material IN the text because it seemed so cumbersome to code, but this looks nice.
There have been other threads on this with no perfect answer.

1) Since readers do not have a 'page foot' support, foot notes can end up at the end of a chapter (does this work if you don't break on chapters?). Endnotes are at the End of the book,right?

1) Conversions will probably be a mess no matter what you choose

1) Readers don't have balloon (help) notes. Inline kind of breaks up the smooth 'read'

(note: all the 1's ) what every you do, you lose
Why the 'Spec' people have not addressed these kinds of issues by now totally eludes me. We are on the 3rd generation of EPUB fer crin' out loud.
Are these people still using Just CRT's and Paper? Because the design does not seem to consider e-ink (screen refresh) and handhelds (orientation and Aspect ratio) in general.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And this seems to be an even bigger question than footnotes: Should I stick to ePub2?
A very good question. And the answer to it is "probably"—it becomes "certainly" if you intend to create your ePubs with Sigil... the program this forum is intended to discuss.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:

[...]

As others have said, those are HTML5-specific tags, which are generally not supported in epub 2. Although some HTML5 features will render fine in readers based on generic rendering engines like webkit, it likely won't work in the majority of dedicated readers. Sorry to disappoint you...

Quote:

(The irony of calling me "Connoisseur"....)
You certainly should stick with epub2 if you want your epubs to be readable on a majority of readers. BTW, no one is a Connoisseur in these matters, we all have to cope with the mess that is the epub "standard" with various "embrace + extend" quirks, and a large amount of proprietary bugs, at least for a while. Not good.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote