Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #136
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
I'm currently using Opera Mini. Why is it that you prefer Opera Mobile? Any differences you can point out?
The zoom feature on the Mobile is much better! It has pinch to zoom and it just makes the webpages more readable than the Mini when I do a double tap. I also like the interface better.

I have had issues with the Mini's search bar that works fine on the Mobile. It also uses Google's auto complete as a drop down which is nice.

It also has flash while Opera Mini is limited.

Opera Mini is made for cell phones while Opera Mobile is for tablets and really expensive smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I was just going.to.ask this.

@Blossom. Did you uninstall opera mini first?

Carol
Yes I did. I don't need both browsers. I think between Silk and Opera Mobile I am all set. Oh and I can visit the Android market using Opera Mobile!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #137
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The zoom feature on the Mobile is much better! It has pinch to zoom and it just makes the webpages more readable than the Mini when I do a double tap. I also like the interface better.

I have had issues with the Mini's search bar that works fine on the Mobile. It also uses Google's auto complete as a drop down which is nice.

It also has flash while Opera Mini is limited.

Opera Mini is made for cell phones while Opera Mobile is for tablets and really expensive smartphones.

Yes I did. I don't need both browsers. I think between Silk and Opera Mobile I am all set. Oh and I can visit the Android market using Opera Mobile!
Will have to give the Mobile one a try.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #138
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
CalenGoo has been marked down to $2.99 at the app store. So if you looking for a compatible calendar might want to buy it before it goes back up to $5.99
I just bought this because I got tired of my phone's calender not synching with Google. The interface of the app on the phone isn't pretty but it does seem to work. Will put it on the Fire next. Now I need an app that will let me add TV Listings to my calendar and I am all set.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #139
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I got used to using Opera Mini on my last Android phone, which had limited memory. The Mini version is 800kb or so while the Mobile version is 13mb. That's a big difference.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #140
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
I got used to using Opera Mini on my last Android phone, which had limited memory. The Mini version is 800kb or so while the Mobile version is 13mb. That's a big difference.

That's a significant difference.

Most mobile browsers I have tried seem slow and clunky, but they have a lot of features. Most mini browsers are usually no frills. This is what makes them so fast. I feel the need for speed when browsing. Dolphin Mini offers the best of both worlds, hands down.

I like Dolphin Mini the best because it is unbelievably fast and it gives you full-featured browser options like full-screen mode, pinch and zoom, gestures, Flash support, selecting text, copying text, saving webpages for offline viewing, screenshots, Private Browsing, uses Google's auto complete dropdown and has built in shortcuts to many popular Google Services like Google Calendar, Google News, Google Shopping, Picasa etc.

Dolphin Mini is small, simple to use, lightning fast, and has some of the better features of a mobile browser.

Give it a try. It's FREE. What do you have to lose? If you don't like it, simply remove it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pz8Tr7YTAc

Download Dolphin Mini: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...22448148952285

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #141
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI, last night I was browsing the CNN.com website, desktop version. Opera Mobile could not seem to view the videos attached to the site whereas Silk could. Opera Mobile really trashed the video pages in a major way as it could not properly display those pages or the video.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #142
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just FYI, last night I was browsing the CNN.com website, desktop version. Opera Mobile could not seem to view the videos attached to the site whereas Silk could. Opera Mobile really trashed the video pages in a major way as it could not properly display those pages or the video.

Give Dophin Mini a try. I have never had any trouble viewing videos on CNN using it. It doesn't display CNN in full browser mode unless you change the User Agent to Desktop. That is one of the nice things about the Silk browser as it will automatically display some pages in Desktop mode if enabled.

I tried Dolphin Mini in Desktop Mode and it ran fast and played videos fine on CNN. You will see a green arrow because Dolphin Mini is Flash on demand. Touch the green arrow and the video will play. This applies to Flash content on any page.

Dolphin Mini is lightweight, lightning fast, and has a lot of features. Download link is in post # 140 if you want to give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #143
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
FYI regarding the Dolphin browser. I believe that it is using the native browser engine under-the-covers (adding additional functionality). In my testing access to www.market.android.com both the Amazon browser and Dolphin were redirected to the Amazon App Store. Opera Mobile correctly displayed the Android Market site.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #144
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
FYI regarding the Dolphin browser. I believe that it is using the native browser engine under-the-covers (adding additional functionality). In my testing access to www.market.android.com both the Amazon browser and Dolphin were redirected to the Amazon App Store. Opera Mobile correctly displayed the Android Market site.

In order to view some pages like the Android Market you need to change the User Agent. For example, in Dolphin Mini if you press Menu from the Options Bar and choose user Agent and change it to Desktop the Android Market webpage will display fine. A lot of browsers have this option and people aren't aware of it. My son has to access some of his school textbooks on Elsevier. Right now they only support iPad. Using the Android agent some of the pages have issues. Change the User Agent to iPad and presto the pages work fine.

BTW, I also accessed and browsed the Android Market webpage using Dolphin Mini using Android as the User Agent and was not kicked back to the Amazon App Store. This may be something that happens in Dolphin HD Mobile browser.

I like Dolphin HD mainly because of the Webzine feature which allows me to get free stories from hundred of popular magazines ad free.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #145
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Has anyone successfully used FBreader on their fire?
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #146
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
Has anyone successfully used FBreader on their fire?
Yes. FBReader works well. Download it here:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

Select for Android 1.6-2.* devices.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #147
Dolorous Edd

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Yes. FBReader works well. Download it here:

http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ

Select for Android 1.6-2.* devices.
Thanks, that is the definitive information I was looking for. Hey Senior Chief, what rate were you. I was a BT2 when I left in 94.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #148
Dolorous Edd

Not to be pesky but I assume I need to install ES Explorer, enable installation of apps from other sources, sideload the app onto the fire and install using ES Explorer.

No need to root or anything like that?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #149
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, that is the definitive information I was looking for. Hey Senior Chief, what rate were you. I was a BT2 when I left in 94.
I was an Electronics Technician for almost 25 years, from 1984 to 2008. I wanted to stay 30 years but making rate was getting harder and harder. It's tough to select 5 people out of 100 to advance, especially when everyone being looked at is more than qualified to advance. My last 7 month deployment was the deal breaker for me.

You should have stuck around. The Navy always needs good Boiler Techs. Thanks for your service.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #150
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Not to be pesky but I assume I need to install ES Explorer, enable installation of apps from other sources, sideload the app onto the fire and install using ES Explorer.

No need to root or anything like that?

No rooting required. After you enable installation of Apps from other Sources and you go directly to the download link I provided with your Fire, you can download FBReader directly to the Fire. You will see a small pop-up in the Notification Area. Touch it. After the App is downloaded touch it to install. Good luck.

Also, check out the Sideloading Non-Amazon Apps there is some good info including how to sideload from a PC with a USB cable or wireless (e.g using ES File Explorer or Wi-Fi Explorer Pro).

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.