Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Kiley
Kiley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Decided on a Kindle over the Kobo and Nook

A week and a half ago, I went to Borders and Barnes and Noble to check out their respective e-readers. I've never owned an e-reader before, but the convenience and latest pricing points are just too attractive for me to pass up! My position going in was I wanted to find something that was superior or comparable to the Kindle with a good price.

First stop was Borders to check out the Kobo. Their kiosk had a bunch of empty boxes on it and no model unit, so I asked the cashier if she could let me see a model unit. The cashier came back in a few minutes with a model unit and she was very nice, and it looked like a good e-reader. It reads books and doesn't do much more, which was cool to me, but the Kindle is almost the same weight as the Kobo, it's $10 cheaper for the wifi model, and it has dictionary look-up, something that I imagine I'll find invaluable. Additionally, the highlight/note feature with Kindle is something I was missing with Kobo. So I decided to pass on it, unfortunately.

Next stop was Barnes and Noble, and my god, they pimp the Nook out like you wouldn't believe. There was a guy behind a Nook Desk and his only job was to be the Nook Guy. And it worked - while I was there, I saw some Australian woman buy a 3G/wifi model. The $85-$125 Kate Spade covers were on prominent display and she nearly bought one of those, too. Anyway, after playing with the Nook, I realized a lot of things about it - it's heavy, the LCD is more confusing to use (since it acts as a second screen, you're looking back and forth between the e-ink and LCD), and most importantly, the glare from the white glossy casing was incredibly distracting. Maybe it was just the florescent lights in there but I was getting some serious glare from the casing. The LCD screen turns off by itself while you're reading, but I found it distracting as well. Ultimately, just too glitzy for its own good.

So, I decided on the $139 wifi Kindle. It's a great price and seems like a good unit. I wish I could've put my hands on it first before buying it, but judging from the features, dimensions, and weight of the thing, I think I'll be pretty happy. Really wish the Kobo was, like, $80, because I probably would've bought it, but no such luck.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this since I thought it might be useful to people still trying to decide...
Kiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
comma
comma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
went with Nook myself because of epub
comma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Congrats Kiley. It sounds like you took your time and made an informed decision. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Kindle. I know I'm waiting anxiously for mine.

Last edited by carld; 08-11-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typos
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
You are going to ENJOY your new Kindle!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Enjoy!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The nook, Kindle, and Kobo are all quality devices. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I am sure you will enjoy the Kindle and be satisfied with your decision!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote