Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Question Metadata changed with Calibre will not last

I am using Calibre for a long time, ever since I purchased my Sony PRS-505. I am using version 0.6.53.

I realized that that the meta data I modified with Calibre will not last on the PRS-505. For example, I changed the title of a book (ePub, made from Project Gutenberg with Calibre, sometimes PDF files I generated from Word files) on the SD card, it will be reversed back to the old name whenever the reader is soft-reset.

I am wondering if I miss something when changing the metadata? I am not sure if this is only happened to PRS-505 or with Calibre in general.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From some other posts in the Calibre section I think this is how it works:

* When you import a book, the meta data you change is stored in Calibre, not back in the original file or even the Calibre copy. If you save the file from Calibre out, the meta data SOMETIMES gets saved to the file. (PDF files have some issues).

* When you send a book to the reader, the meta information goes separate into a catalog for the reader.

I suspect your soft-reset tries to clear corruption by emptying the catalog and the reader then has to decode the file name or meta information inside each ebook to re-build the catalog.

Try deleting the files from the reader and re-sending.

I was thinking of cleaning each ebook, fixing meta information and saving each book to a new directory to standardize the file names and include the meta information with the files. But while Caliber is a fantastic management program, some ebooks are non-standard and this import/update/save to new file may mess up a few (and Caliber would get the blame). So it's not recommended unless you keep the original and Caliber-converted version of the file just in case.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In addition to the above:

1) Calibre tries to store metadata in the book when you send it, unless you have turned that feature off. Not all formats store metadata. EPUB does.

2) Sony devices maintain a 'catalog' of metadata for books. This catalog has some serious flaws. For example, at least on my PRS-300, author names get cut back to the first author, and the only tags that are kept are those that make up collections. The device will show you what is in its metadata catalog, not what is in the book. When you connect the device to Calibre, you see what the device left in its catalog.

The next beta release will maintain a correct metadata catalog (more correctly, a cache) for all devices, including Sonys. Calibre will use this cache when you connect the device, so you should see correct information. Of course, the first time you connect the device to the new version it won't have that information, but calibre tries hard to find it from the books and from the main library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, meta data