Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
altonaduck
altonaduck began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Multiple Calibre Sessions ?

I have a large number of files I have to load and clean up in Calibre (100k+).

I'm doing this piecemeal, because if I try to add files past around 20k to a calibre library, it slows down enormously. So I'm wondering if it's possible to launch multiple copies of calibre (using different databases and library folders) so I can import into one while cleaning up the other. I've tried, but the second copy doesn't seem to launch.

Win7, 8GB Memory, AMD x6.
altonaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, only one instance of calibre can run at a time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by altonaduck View Post
I have a large number of files I have to load and clean up in Calibre (100k+).

I'm doing this piecemeal, because if I try to add files past around 20k to a calibre library, it slows down enormously. So I'm wondering if it's possible to launch multiple copies of calibre (using different databases and library folders) so I can import into one while cleaning up the other. I've tried, but the second copy doesn't seem to launch.

Win7, 8GB Memory, AMD x6.
Like Kovid says, only one instance of the Calibre GUI can run at a time. But what you want is possible using the command line tools ('calibredb add'), if you're importing into another library than the one the GUI is working on.

I've done that myself in the past (and the '--dont-notify-gui' switch, which you will need, came to be because of it ).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Doing More on the same system is just going to slow it down more.
Desktop PC's are typically I/O bound because of a single data and memory buses.
There is a reason that many Server class machines have 2 or more complete sets of CPU's, RAM, I/O

I suggest that your old friend KVM and a desk load of PC's will be faster.
In the end, Calibre can combine Libraries (Copy TO Library)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote