Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
PaulChernoch
PaulChernoch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
How do I specify TOC pattern?

I am building my book using HTML. Now that I have the hang of the HTML and CSS that the Kindle 2 supports, it's on to the TOC.

This is how I call the conversion program:

ebook-convert "Behold the Dawn.html" .mobi --use-auto-toc --cover=behold-the-dawn-cover.jpg --isbn=978-0-9789246-1-4 --publisher="PenForASword Publishing" --authors="K. M. Weiland" --author-sort="Weiland, K. M." --level1-toc=h1

I want all the h1 bracketed places to be in the TOC. But this only gets me the ones that have the word Chapter in the names.

For example, this gets into the auto TOC:

<h1 height="50"><a name="chapter_I">Chapter I</a></h1>

But this does not get into the TOC:

<h1 height="50"><a name="Glossary">Glossary</a></h1>

So what do I specify for the --level1-toc expression on the command line? Are there other settings I need as well?

(I am using 0.6.13 of Calibre on a Mac OS X 10.5.8.)

- Paul
PaulChernoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
PaulChernoch

RTFM. I found it. All I need to do is set class="chapter" on my h1 elements and it finds them. Works like a charm.

I must say, that after getting past my confusion, the tool is great and the workflow is smooth for edit-build-upload-test. In one night I almost have an entire novel converted. If only MS Word generated better HTML. I had to save it as text and apply all the markup using a combination of Perl script and manually adding back the italics in Dreamweaver.

- Paul
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The latest versions of Word have the option to save as "Web Page, Filtered" which seems to produce quite reasonable HTML.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
Try OpenOffice

I have not tried this, but you could try OpenOffice Writer. It has an html editing mode similar to MSWord. I know they try to be consistent with standards in general.
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just to note that calibre supports direct conversion of .odt (the openoffice file format).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #6
PaulChernoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The latest versions of Word have the option to save as "Web Page, Filtered" which seems to produce quite reasonable HTML.
Hmm. I will give it a try when I start my next Kindle project.

- Paul