Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #16
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to be cynical, but it is VANISHINGLY unlikely that a bookstore manager will have any "inside knowledge" of a new Sony device which has not previously appeared on sites like MR. Since we have heard nothing concrete about new Sony devices (other than speculation that Sony, like everyone else, will release a device with a 9.7" screen), I would take this with a very, very large "pinch of salt".
This is what I thought too, but the manager seemed very confident. He was telling it to me as though it was common knowledge (and I pretended as such).

I was just passing the information along. The specs he told me make sense, especially since Sony would want to compete with the Kindle.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
For those of you on the fence about buying now or waiting, you can simply wait forever for the next best device, or get one now and enjoy.

I see the plethora of ebook readers available now and those rumored/stated to be coming out...I still love my Sony 505. I bought it 6 weeks ago to replace my 700 which I still have but do not like so much.

The 505 is rock solid. Form Factor and usability is 100%. Easy to take with everyday. I am never without my reader.

So, will I ever buy a new one? Absolutely. But buying the 505 now is STILL a great idea.
Absolutely agree. I was going to buy a 500 with a gift certificate I anticipated getting in June 07 which never materialized. So, I stalled around till early 08 and bought a 505 and really like it. And wouldn't trade it for a 700.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just bought the 505 at Borders - it's great. I'm another that doesn't believe it's being discontinued because it's still selling very well and being rolled out across Europe.

I personally think it's one of the best designs out there - and after 18 months on the market it's still fully competitive.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yeah, I'd be "interested" to hear about this new reader, but at the same time, I love my 505...it's still practically brand new--only 2 1/2 months old, and 5 books read on it so far. I really don't have a need for a bigger screen. The wifi is the only thing that would tempt me.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I worry about how much the wi-fi would drain the battery. I would think it would be more powerful than amazon's cell phone service connection, but I don't know.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
More PRS-505 love here. I think the only new features which would make me seriously consider buying a new Sony reader are annotation and dictionary lookup capabilities, assuming Sony does not mess up the screen. WiFi, eh, don't need it.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
A reader with a big screen and WiFi would be great for downloading newspapers (could directly download it every morning and read it -- who wants to fire up a computer before breakfast and then transfer files?), and for large format documents. For regular books the 505 is big enough, big is not always better, especially if you want to take it with you. A big screen device would be great as a second reader, not a substitute for the 505.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I'm another that doesn't believe it's being discontinued because it's still selling very well and being rolled out across Europe.

I personally think it's one of the best designs out there - and after 18 months on the market it's still fully competitive.
I've got to agree. Unless a new reader is coming out at the same price point as the 505, I don't think it's being discontinued. The price drop isn't a price drop, it's a sale at Borders, who got stuck with a lot of readers that weren't moving. I know when I bought my 505 there a few months ago, it came with coupons that had already expired while sitting on the shelf. I don't see Target or other retailers having a sale like this to dump 505's. If anything, I could see it as a move by Sony to put more 505s in people's hands versus the Kindle.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
For those of you on the fence about buying now or waiting, you can simply wait forever for the next best device, or get one now and enjoy.
Absolutely. The rule with any technology purchase is "If you can buy it, it is already obsolete". If you know for a fact that something better will actually be available for purchase next week, then wait for it. Otherwise, buy the best gizmo you can today and enjoy the use of it, rather than waiting eternally for something better. There will always be something better coming along next month or next year.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
All I can say is a 9.7" Sony Reader is an automatic sale for me.

Me wants the precious.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #26
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
All I can say is a 9.7" Sony Reader is an automatic sale for me.

Me wants the precious.
Me too!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I worry about how much the wi-fi would drain the battery. I would think it would be more powerful than amazon's cell phone service connection, but I don't know.
Mobile devices with WiFi generally have a way of switching it off, for exactly that reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 AM   #28
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I agree that electronics tend to go obsolete quickly--maybe even as fast as "if you can buy it then it's obsolete". On the other hand there are levels of obsoleteness. I'd rather buy an e-reader that's only going to be a little bit obsolete than one that is completely obsolete. For example if I buy a 505 now I would only consider it slightly obsolete. But if Sony were to come out with an e-reader in a month that completely rectifies all the complaints that people have about e-ink screens then that reader would go from a little obsolete to completely obsolete. I just want to make sure I'm on the right side of the divide.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #29
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I am eagerly awaiting new readers. While I was very happy with my sony reader, the low processor speed annoyed me to no end. It took ages to repaginate after a font size change or opening larger books...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #30
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I agree that electronics tend to go obsolete quickly--maybe even as fast as "if you can buy it then it's obsolete".
This is specially true for those of us in europe where the only one that has launched is the 505 and in a number of countries that happened after the 700 showed up in the states, but then again even knowing all that I still bought mine and think its great.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote