Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook do you want the Book Club read for March?
The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death 6 12.24%
Against Intellectual Monopoly 2 4.08%
The Origin of Species 9 18.37%
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking 2 4.08%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make A Big Difference 6 12.24%
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary 13 26.53%
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've only just started it, but have skimmed as well - I can assure you that The Origin of Species is very different from technical books. It's not a text book, but about exploration. It's written for an educated, general reader.
There is an updated version of 'Origin of Species' called 'Almost Like a Whale' by Steve Jones.

I'm wondering if might be better as it will incorporate insights made post-Darwin.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the case of a tie vote, I will be making the choice of which eBook we read from the eBooks that are tied for first place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #33
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
i trust your judgement JS
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #34
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the case of a tie vote, I will be making the choice of which eBook we read from the eBooks that are tied for first place.
I still haven't voted. Muahahahahahah!<--evil laugh
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I voted for 1 of the tied books. Both look good, and someday, I plan to read them both. Darn TBR books are piling up again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
Is anyone else of the opinion that Fiction can make better fodder for discussion than Nonfiction?
Not sure what you point is. This is the first and only month we have had a Nonfiction selection in the book club. The previous 4 months selections are all fiction.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #37
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I tried holding out last month; but the pressure becomes unbearable.

You'll cave ....
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #38
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not sure what you point is. This is the first and only month we have had a Nonfiction selection in the book club. The previous 4 months selections are all fiction.

BOb
Maybe he is thinking about non-fiction being less subjective and open to random interpretation than fiction? Criticism will be more along the lines of "I liked/disliked it because (specific reasons)" instead of what the symbolism or whatever evoked in the individual reader. A change will do us good, as the song says, and I'm looking forward to a non-fiction selection.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #39
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Will karma help convince you?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I tried holding out last month; but the pressure becomes unbearable.

You'll cave ....
The irony is that I was bugging you to vote last month
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Will karma help convince you?
I can be bought
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I can be bought
$.32 paypal on the way... as agreed. Please vote for a book now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #42
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
$.32 paypal on the way... as agreed. Please vote for a book now.

BOb
It's a good thing I'm so cheap...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #43
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
Is anyone else of the opinion that Fiction can make better fodder for discussion than Nonfiction? Not always though of course, and there are some nice choices there. Technical or reference type books may be a bit of a downer, a book like Origin of Species will go for pages and pages to deliver the conclusion of a species deriving from a common ancestor.
It very much depends on the book - and the people reading. I've had a lot of lively debates about non-fiction books.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #44
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:

I can be bought
Excellent!

Karma in return for voting for the prof and the nutter
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Excellent!

Karma in return for voting for the prof and the nutter

I'm confused though, I swear earlier Winchester's book was in the lead with 11, now it is tied again at ten.