Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
mobi to epub conversion fail and unable to open

I am trying to convert a book from mobi to epub, but the process fails. When I try to open the book, calibre is also unable to do so. I don't get the DRM message, either. I normally have no problems with mobi, but I also don't have a lot of mobi books either.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Here is the message from attempting to open the book:

calibre, version 0.8.62
ERROR: Could not open ebook: invalid start byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 40, in run
File "threading.py", line 504, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 99, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 208, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 40, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 70, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 382, in expand_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 301, in expand_mobi8_markup
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 45, in update_internal_links
File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x9c in position 12270: invalid start byte

And the message from attempting to convert the book:

calibre, version 0.8.62 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Conversion Error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (No Exchanges, No Returns (Book Four of The Return to Redemption Series))

Convert book 1 of 1 (No Exchanges, No Returns (Book Four of The Return to Redemption Series))
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\me\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plugin s\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip'
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.62
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 10.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\me\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_0.8 .62_tmp_qs7jd3\\f6p3yw.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'epub_flatten': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'flow_size': 260,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.SonyReaderInput object at 0x03E6E730>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': True,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_default_epub_cover': True,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_svg_cover': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.SonyReaderOutput object at 0x03E6EA90>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
'pretty_print': True,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\me\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_0.8 .62_tmp_qs7jd3\\xelixu.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_0.8.62_tmp_ qs7jd3\sgmiob.mobi
Found KF8 MOBI of type 'standalone'
Extracting text...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x9c in position 12270: invalid start byte (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 192, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 979, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 208, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 40, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 70, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 382, in expand_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 301, in expand_mobi8_markup
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 45, in update_internal_links
File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x9c in position 12270: invalid start byte
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Sounds like the MOBI file contains an invalid UTF-8 character. Not all arbitrary strings of bytes are valid UTF-8 data, and apparently Calibre is trying to parse the UTF-8 data during the conversion process for some reason. In my experience, these errors usually indicate that the text encoding is not actually UTF-8 (e.g. ISO-8859-1).

See also Calibre bug 1057331 at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1057331

There probably ought to be a means of overriding the encoding when working with MOBI files that incorrectly specify their encoding. Either that or an option to use the C local (one byte = one character, with no interpretation thereof) and let the user fix the encoding problem in the resulting EPUB file (which is much easier to work with, since it's basically just a ZIP file).
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
invalid start byte, mobi to epub