Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Michael Gruber: excellent author

I just wanted to post a little rave for Michael Gruber. I have read four of his books so far: The Book of Air and Shadows, The Forgery of Venus, The Good Son, and Tropic of Night.

They are extremely engaging, well written, *amazingly* well-researched, and integrate very interesting discussions around religion, philosophy, the nature of reality, psychology. I just love them.

If you're a more traditional fiction lover, I'd recommend The Good Son. It's a pretty straightforward story, but still includes some mind-opening (at least for me) discussions around religion.

The Book of Air and Shadows I don't remember as well, but it might not be his best since it didn't make as much of an impression.

The Forgery of Venus is a wild mind-bender and also includes some amazing historical detail around Renaissance painting.

Tropic of Night is the one I just finished. And while I don't usually enjoy books with a supernatural element, this one was done with just enough 'science' to make it enjoyable for me.

That's all - just had to get that out there
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for that, Max. I haven't read any of his books yet, but I've now put him on my "under consideration" list, on your recommendation. Do you have any suggestions for which one to read first?

By the way, I see that all the titles you mentioned - and a few more - are available for the Kindle.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Hi Mike -- The Good Son is probably his most 'conventional' novel, so might be a good place to start. On the other hand, if you're ok with a bit reality warping and such, and like historical fiction, Forgery of Venus is great. I think I need to re-read the Book of Air and Shadows -- I can't recommend it very strongly because I simply can't remember it very well.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
That's all - just had to get that out there
Thank you. Reading Recommendations is my favorite forum and I always appreciate learning of new (new to me) authors/books here.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
The Book of Air and Shadows I don't remember as well, but it might not be his best since it didn't make as much of an impression.

This book as I recall was pretty good, but you're right, not all that memorable. Didn't inspire me read any more of his books since I read it 3-4 years ago. But some of the others you mentioned sound interesting, so maybe one day.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Please excuse the old thread, but I just finished The Forgery of Venus and I loved it! I learned about Michael Gruber through this and other threads on here so I wanted to say thanks. I will definitely read more of his works.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Thanks for the tip, I was entirely unaware of Mr Gruber. Having looked him up it sounds like he writes the kind of non-standard thrillers I really enjoy, so I picked up three of them right away.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I loved Tropic of Night, which is the first in a trilogy with the same detective Paz. Any of the three can be read by itself, though.

The Good Son and the Forgery of Venus, all stand-alones, were also excellent but my favorite Gruber was a departure from all of these. I loved The Witch's Boy, which is a fractured fairy tale rather than a thriller.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote