Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
HP Touchpad 16GB for about $85.

HP discountinued the Touchpad. It's being blown out right this second. $99 for the 16GB and $149 for the 32GB.

It goes live on the normal hp.com website tomorrow. It's already live in Canada. Best Buy should match.

You can already buy it tonight through the academic problem. I bought two tonight. Pretty much anyone who's every been to college or has a kid that is past preschool age qualifies for the academic program. You'll see the $99 price once you sign up for the academic program.

Use coupon SAVE15HP to get $15 off. Use SAVE30HP to get $30 off if you buy more the $150 worth of stuff.

You can also try for up to 6% cashback as well.

http://www.cashbackwatch.com/store.php?store=HP Home
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wonder if you could root one of those and put Android on it?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
spursbob
spursbob began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 2 and Galaxy S
Picked one up as well for this price. Not sure if necessary since I have an Ipad 2 but couldn't resist.
spursbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
For that price... Sadly it's not available here.

Oh, and I can't find anything on the hp.com site about a sale...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
For that price... Sadly it's not available here.

Oh, and I can't find anything on the hp.com site about a sale...
Huh? It's right on hp.com. It's not a sale. It's the new regular price for the Touchpad until they run out.

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/webo...-touchpad.html
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It wasn't when I checked this morning and now they're both already out of stock

I see that as a sign that the tablet was overpriced in the first place!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It wasn't when I checked this morning and now they're both already out of stock

I see that as a sign that the tablet was overpriced in the first place!
I see that as a sign that they are discontinued with no support available.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
travfar
Groupie

Available through datavis on ebay for $120 BIN + $7 shipping. Go get it while it lasts!!!!!!

Hurry!!!!! They are selling about 600 a minute. Sure they might have a few 10's of thousands but it won't last long.

It's over. They only had a measly 6400. Took about 10 minutes.

Last edited by travfar; 08-20-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I wonder if you could root one of those and put Android on it?
Apparently there are already efforts underway to root it for that purpose, at least according to an offhand mention in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMEuqm-Q-Q - too lazy to watch the entire thing again to find the time point for it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
travfar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Apparently there are already efforts underway to root it for that purpose, at least according to an offhand mention in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMEuqm-Q-Q - too lazy to watch the entire thing again to find the time point for it.
Yep. Someone already put the Android SDK running on top of a Pre. There's a group of guys working on putting Android for real on the Touchpad already. Considering that the CPU on the Touchpad OC's to 1.7Ghz and is a match for both cores on a Tegra. If Android ever runs on it, it will be the fastest Android tablet until the Tegra 3 comes out.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Yep. Someone already put the Android SDK running on top of a Pre. There's a group of guys working on putting Android for real on the Touchpad already.
'Course, the problem with this is that there is no way to go back if something screws up and it turns out not to work... I suppose with it being so cheap at the moment, though, some'll take the risk...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
travfar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
'Course, the problem with this is that there is no way to go back if something screws up and it turns out not to work... I suppose with it being so cheap at the moment, though, some'll take the risk...
Sure there is. Just save the current firmware beforehand. Just flash it back to the way it was originally.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
OMG I can't believe I missed this!! I have always loved the simplicity of PalmOS and I only have HP computers & printers. Oh well...
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I drove by Staples yesterday. They have a sign up on the front door -- "We are sold out of HP Touchpads."
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Has anyone else gotten theirs yet? Mine came today*; I haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet. I'm looking forward to lots of tips and tricks for it here.

*Ordered from the HP website Friday evening (make that early Saturday morning); after a couple of hours signing in and out, using three different browsers and putting things into and out of my cart, I finally managed to snag two of the 32-gig ones. Kudos to HP for a timely turnaround.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote