Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
What would make me buy a Kindle?

Total speculation, of course, but fun

Since it is supposed to have EVDO, there are a bunch of things that they could do with it.

1) Deliver newspapers, rss feeds and other content right to your device without playing PC games that are too complicated for most people to mess with.

2) Blackberry Competitor. How would you like to be able to read your email, surf the net, download/play music and books, etc. using a Viziplex E-Ink device and 'real' (although mini) keyboard? You could probably write off the expense of the device too, which helps a little.

3) An IM client. There's nothing to say you couldn't IM friends.

4) a VoIP client.Why not talk to them too.

Things I'd like to see...

Detachable keyboardto reduce the form factor. I'll probalby mostly be reading, so the keyboard isn't necessary.

Either 'Pay as you go' EVDO charges or subscription fees.

My 2c,
Ralph
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
What would convince me to buy it would be... if it were a damn good ebook reader and if I could get any (or almost any) book from Amazon in a suitable format.

If i could opt for hard- and soft- copy of books for a combined reduced price then hey, I'll take one *now*. (If it had an OSX interface...)

The other things you want - well I like the to be in my pda, not my book reader. In my ebook reader I want humungous battery life, not doodad's.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Actually the more features the LESS I'd want to buy it. I want and easy to carry ebook reader that reads as many formats as possible. It should have excellent battery life.

All those other features detract from simplicity and battery life, and probably portability. I want an ebook reader, not a PDA with a large screen.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.
I'd like to write on that thing.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
2) Blackberry Competitor. How would you like to be able to read your email, surf the net, download/play music and books, etc. using a Viziplex E-Ink device and 'real' (although mini) keyboard? You could probably write off the expense of the device too, which helps a little.
eInk screen are lousy for general "surfing" because of their slow update speed. Not at all a pleasant experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=yvanleterrible;95948]Keyboard text input. That would make it the first eink word processor.
/QUOTE]

No it wouldn't. You can do that on the iLiad.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Just out of interest, if you wanted to make a hybrid display capable of nice text and then faster updates for web browsing etc, could you create a layer of e ink and then overlay that with an LCD? In games and things I have seen it looks like you can overlay and LCD over just about anything and its transparent unless its in use.

HEB
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

eInk is opaque. Where would you put the backlight?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
eInk screen are lousy for general "surfing" because of their slow update speed. Not at all a pleasant experience.
If it's Vizplex, that cuts the refresh down a little, If it's got 8 color grey scale, that helps, and it might be better than my blackberry for the sites I hit.

If it's got EVDO, it might also be usable as a modem you could plug into a laptop. The hardware would support that capability, all you'd need is the software and the subscription.

They also might have kept is simple, and only support RSS and book downloads to keep the subscription costs down. I like that idea too

Ralph
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
B&W LCD doesn't need a backlight.

The OLPC has a dual-layer screen. Does anyone know what the two layers consist of? (I know it's not e ink, just wondering what it is.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
[song]Everything the Kindle can do, the iLiad can do better[/song]

Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
[QUOTE=HarryT;96071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
/QUOTE]

Is there a keyboard on the Iliad?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The iLiad has a software based keyboard and also does handwriting recognition.

You can also connect an external USB keyboard to it as well.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'd rather be able to attach a good keyboard when I need it than have a less useful one on there all the time making the thing larger and heavier than it needs to be during those times when I just want to read.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm thinking the same thing, Alisa, but I don't make much in the way of notes in my books. If I did, I'd likely see it differently.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote