Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The EV-DO Thread

I have yet to understand the point of EVDO in the Kindle. Yes, it will allow you to surf the internet on an e-ink screen (not really all that fun, honestly), yes you can download new books from anywhere. But how will it work?

Typically, to have EVDO access, you have to sign a contract with a cellular carrier. I have a mobile broadband card with Sprint, and my cell phone has an EVDO data plan. The sprint card is about $60 a month, and the data plan on my cell phone is about $45 in addition to my typical contract. I can't imagine anyone paying $45-$60 for internet access on an ebook reader.

An unlikely scenario is that Amazon is working on a deal with an existing carrier to provide free (or very cheap) access. I think this is highly unlikely, but it's the only thing that makes sense. If that's the case, surely they would have to be concerned about hacks. If I could buy a Kindle and get free/cheap EVDO access, of course I'd want to tether it to my laptop in order to have high speed access on there. If the Kindle is running linux (highly likely), it shouldn't be too difficult to make the necessary modifications to allow this.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Until the reports of a web browser surfaced, I assumed the connection would be tied to specific sites (perhaps only one site - Amazon) and would be used only for buying and downloading content. The EB-1150 can download books over the Internet when tethered to a PC via USB, so the concept isn't entirely new. Amazon could have a deal with a carrier to provide this limited service, and either offer an inexpensive monthly subscription or bundle the cost in the e-book price. One advantage of this approach is that it isn't tied to Windows or any other desktop O/S.

Last edited by wallcraft; 09-12-2007 at 09:46 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
it seems to me that wifi makes a lot more sense than evdo. I already have sprint / evdo. I wont pay for it again
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
it seems to me that wifi makes a lot more sense than evdo. I already have sprint / evdo. I wont pay for it again
I've got sprint/evdo too. I'm curious to see what they do with it in a Kindle.

It should be a lot more friendly than wifi for the non-technical person, open up you account, privide a credit card, and you can buy books. It doesn't be much simpler.

There are a lot of neat things they could do for the 'Techies' too. I'll be curious to see what they do with it, and what the after-market does.
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is EV-DO also available in Europe? With the latest rumors that the Kindle would also be available there, it would make sense...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Is EV-DO also available in Europe? With the latest rumors that the Kindle would also be available there, it would make sense...
No. EVDO uses CDMA technology, whereas European phone systems are GSM. There's an approximately equivalent technology for GSM called EDGE ( Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), although EVDO is significantly faster.

For world-wide use, WiFi would seem to be the most obvious choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. EVDO uses CDMA technology, whereas European phone systems are GSM. There's an approximately equivalent technology for GSM called EDGE ( Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution), although EVDO is significantly faster.

Or HSPA.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Or GSM for Europe, EVDO for the US. Just like cell phones. The information so far is from the FCC, a US organization. It wouldn't show anything about Europe.

Ralph
Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

how fast has it to be? A book would be like 1 mb perhaps 2 or 3 for a big one.
The complete Lord of the rings is around 5 mb in pdf, 3 in txt and 1.5 in LIT. And that is after all 3 books. I wouldn't like to wait for more than 10 minutes for a book, that would be 5 mb /10 minutes = 8 kbyte/s = 67 kbit/s. That is not very much EDGE got a speed on over 200 kbit/s so it would work very well. Then we got 3G, if Amazon really want to have a internet connection everywhere they would prob go over to 3G some time in the EU.

regarding the pricing, it could just be a datarate or time cost, no fee for having the contract. And if you only could access the amazon store it could be in the price of the books allready. (the phone company would get thier money form amazon)
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I can't really see the point of the mobile connection, to be honest.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I can't really see the point of the mobile connection, to be honest.
There have been many negative comments about the Windows-centric approach that Sony took with the Connect store. Direct connection without any desktop machine in the loop gets round this, and should be very good for daily newspaper delivery. Based on the manual, there is also a typical USB client option for downloading content from a desktop machine. This should work from Linux/OSX, but MobiPocket is aggressively Windows-centric at the desktop level so some things (e.g. importing other file formats) will require Windows if you want to stick with MobiPocket software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast

If it is totally self-contained, and doesn't require a PC, only a plug-in, it's the first device I'd consider giving to my grandmother, or someone else that doesn't know PCs well.