Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
bloodlamb
bloodlamb began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 600
Chinese Hacks

I just found this thread that extends the russian hack to give you chinese fonts + chinese menu option + clock on PRS-600.

Enjoy:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...age%3D1&page=1

To summaries what to do:
  1. download the firmware (use the skydrive link in the post)
  2. unpack the archive
  3. copy the "test" directory to the PRS600 "READER" drive
  4. go to the dir where you unpack the archive using the dos shell and type the command "ebook_msc PRS600" (case sensitive).
  5. eject the "READER" and "LAUNCHER" drives
  6. disconnect and reset your reader.

hope this is useful....BTW I am not the author, I just found the link on the net and tried it and its works for me...try this at your own risk

I could not get epubs converted from big5 txt files to display in the reader. LRF format converted from the same txt files are ok though. I use calibre for my conversions.

cheers
bloodlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
would you mind writing the procedure in more detail? I'm trying to install this on my dad's PRS600, but my dad isn't too tech savvy and my chinese is too bad to read it properly.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
irenealisjahbana
irenealisjahbana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
would like to try it out... but like jessie102, would you mind making the procedure clearer? thanks. i'm afraid i will get my reader bricked or somethin if i don't really understand the instructions.
irenealisjahbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I russified my reader recently using another discussion forum (obviously in russian language) using "Google Translate". This is the link to the translated chines forum thread:
http://translate.google.com/translat...sl=zh-CN&tl=en

Some things read very funny like a "brush package", which I think is a packed archive. I got my reader pretty easily modified by reading through the russian forum, so it should be similar with this one. But I find it more or less easy to read. Maybe this helps a little.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Here's my attempt at translating that post:

2) Ensure the reader has more than 3 bars of battery life. Take out the card. Link to the computer using usb.

3) Unpack the file to c: then copy the test folder to reader's root menu.

4) Copy the font files into C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts. If its 64bit system, copy them to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts. These will replace the original files (backup first). This will allow the reader library to support chinese.

5) Click Start, search, enter CMD. Under c:\prs menu, execute ebook_msc.exe PRS600
Code:
C:\prs>ebook_msc.exe PRS600
Sony Reader MSC utility 1.01 (c) 2009 Igor Skochinsky, Vladimir Boroda
avail: 1
usbInitCheck: 0
writefile(/dev/mtdblock4, 0, 4096): 0
writefile(/opt0/UsbUpdater, 0, 3866): 0
Sometimes, the screen will indicate “Device is not connected to PC”. In that case, repeat the procedure above and it should be alright. If it still doesn't work, replug the usb and try again.

6) Remove prs600 temp folder(?). Plug out the usb. Do some action (sorry i don't have the reader so i don't know which action that is) to restart the reader. Reader will restart, if there's time indication on the reader, its a success. If the screen indicates “Firmware Update did not complete successfully ”, don't panic. Plug in the usb again and use the official firmware to reset the reader.

If the menu library has chinese words in ascii, copy a tt0011m_.ttf into \Sony\Reader\Data\bin\ to solve the problem during step 4 above.

Txt files must be saved in unicode format, not ansi.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
6) Remove prs600 temp folder(?).
Thanks for the translation. I think it worked. But could you elaborate on the quote above?

By "temp folder" are you referring to the folder in C:\PRS or the "test" folder in the PRS600 drive?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I'm not really sure since i have not done the process yet as my reader is still on its way. I assume its whatever folder that's unnecessary to keep around after the reader is updated. Will double check later when i get it. Can't wait for it to arrive.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
jessie102
Addict

I assumed you had it already. Nice to hear that there are ppl who do detailed research before buying.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
newuser
newuser began at the beginning.

Device: none
I failed when I try to do the Chinese hack.
I cannot copy the "test" directory to the PRS600 "READER" drive as the reader is "write protect"
Can anyone help?
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
vho3000
vho3000 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Chinese ePub displayed in PRS 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlamb View Post
I just found this thread that extends the russian hack to give you chinese fonts + chinese menu option + clock on PRS-600.

Enjoy:
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...age%3D1&page=1

To summaries what to do:
  1. download the firmware (use the skydrive link in the post)
  2. unpack the archive
  3. copy the "test" directory to the PRS600 "READER" drive
  4. go to the dir where you unpack the archive using the dos shell and type the command "ebook_msc PRS600" (case sensitive).
  5. eject the "READER" and "LAUNCHER" drives
  6. disconnect and reset your reader.

hope this is useful....BTW I am not the author, I just found the link on the net and tried it and its works for me...try this at your own risk

I could not get epubs converted from big5 txt files to display in the reader. LRF format converted from the same txt files are ok though. I use calibre for my conversions.

cheers
I get Chinese ePub displayed in PRS 600 eventually! You should be able to do that with your PRS 600 updating to Porkupan 1.05f firmware update.

In 1.05d or 1.05f, Porkupan has already hacked the PRS 600 to read ePub using the 3 styles defined by Porkupan. Those are userStyle, userStyle.dflt, userStyle.droid. Just edit these Styles and put in whatever Chinese fonts in both the Styles and \ePub\Font folder. Do not use extra CSS in Calibre.

It is that simple! But Porkupan never explain that in any manuals. Those are designed to display Russian. For Chinese display, these all need to be replaced.
vho3000
vho3000 is offline   Reply With Quote