Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Another Harlequin Freebie!! The Horseman's Son by Dolores Fossen

Woman's Day and Harlequin are offering a Harlequin Intrigue title for free until October. It is only available in pdf format.

Here's the link: http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/index.php#

Enjoy!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I couldn't find it directly at the site (the link just shows the index of the 16 original ebooks), but a bit of googling turned it up. They do have it in all four formats, but I remember there being some problem with the PRCs (maybe they didn't work because they expected a nonexistent PID?)

Links for freebies past the original 16:
The Last Cowboy (EPub, PDF, PRC, PDB)

A Family of Her Own
(EPub, PDF, PRC, PDB)

The Horseman's Son:
(EPub, PDF, PRC, PDB)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Thanks for the links, however, when I click on PRC for Kindle it takes me to a page that shows a downloaded page already. Other URLs for these freebies? Thanks!!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It shows the "thanks for downloading!" page, and then the popup for the download appears. (At least, that's how it works for me; I'm using Firefox on a WinXP machine.)

Lemme see if I can find the actual file links...
Last Cowboy: http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/download.php?id=17
(Only gives PDF; http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=17?type=epub gives all four; I'll try not to think about that.)

Family of her own PDF-only link, full set at http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=18?type=epub

The Horseman's Son (full link at http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=19?type=epub)

Full links also include .lit files, which I missed the first time around.

Can we shoot whoever designed Harlequin's Celebration website?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Thanks for the links, however, when I click on PRC for Kindle it takes me to a page that shows a downloaded page already. Other URLs for these freebies? Thanks!!
You can use the link called "link" at the bottom, at the very end of the last phrase.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Although files are created for the non-PDF links, they end up being only a single K in size (and are not actually books). The PDF's work for all three links you gave.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Wow! you guys you gave me some links to books I didn't have!!! Sorry my link didn't quite work, but I'd much rather have epub anyway, so I'm glad you found the other links.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Although files are created for the non-PDF links, they end up being only a single K in size (and are not actually books). The PDF's work for all three links you gave.
Thanks...I realized this...since they are free I don't mind reading pdf.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
If you open the file you downloaded, what you find is a tiny HTML file that reads
Code:
<html><title>Error</title><body>ERROR: File not found.</body></html>
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Eep. I hadn't looked at them because I was at work (can download, sometimes, but not read ebooks). Sorry.

Maybe if the spots for them exist, they'll eventually be real files? (I suppose it's most likely they won't bother because "everybody likes PDFs," right? Grr.)

ETA: The PDFs have bad metadata.
The Last Cowboy is named "17LastCowboy.pdf" with blank metadata.

The Horseman's Son is named "19DeloresFossen.pdf" and has nothing in the title/author metadata fields, so the PDF name is what shows up in the Reader.

A Family of Her Own has "SDM_978037371195.indd" in the title field, and "nhatsiosx" in the author filed; that's what'll show up on Sony Readers. (And maybe other e-ink readers?) I just love it when PDFs are made by outputting InDesign files with no touchup for use by PDF readers.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 07-09-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
duskdawns
Enthusiast
duskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Thank you for the links!

We can only hope Harlequin will put up the other files...BUT they haven't even fixed the ones for The Rebel Doctor's Bride yet, despite e-mailing weeks ago to let Harlequin know they didn't work.

Ah well, at least the PDFs are free.
duskdawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Lemme see if I can find the actual file links...
Last Cowboy: http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/download.php?id=17
(Only gives PDF; http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=17?type=epub gives all four; I'll try not to think about that.)

Family of her own PDF-only link, full set at http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=18?type=epub

The Horseman's Son (full link at http://www.harlequincelebrates.com/d...d=19?type=epub)

Full links also include .lit files, which I missed the first time around.

Can we shoot whoever designed Harlequin's Celebration website?
Automated script that generates links but apparently, there doesn't seem to be any content to back it up. Any attempt at download non-PDF formats generates a 404 message. I do agree the website design is a bit atrocious. Flash is fine for doing the flashy stuff (pardon the pun). For actual website navigation and content, it's irritating as hell.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Does anyone know how to rename those titles? I'm just happy I got them on my reader, but it would be nice to know what they are called as I'm going through my list. I have alot of books with crazy titles that I would like to rename somehow.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Put them in Calibre, fix the metadata, the convert to another format - read the new format.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wrote Harlequin and asked them about this. Their reply was:

I am responding on behalf of Harlequin.
Unfortunately, these books are exclusive offers. They are not available for the general public.
Regards,
Sarah Uy

I guess we just need to snag the PDF and be happy with that!

Jane A
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote