Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
chemi
chemi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Deleting a date

I have a date field. By default it is blank.
Once I enter a value... I haven't found a way to remove it. I mean, I want to have a date for some books but for others the date field should be blank or unknown.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Chemi
chemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Select a book, Click "Edit Meta Data". To the right of the meta data fields, you'll see green recycle icons. Clicking those will clear the associated field, the Date field included.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
chemi
chemi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Thanks!
chemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemi View Post
I have a date field. By default it is blank.
Once I enter a value... I haven't found a way to remove it. I mean, I want to have a date for some books but for others the date field should be blank or unknown.
I assume that the date is a custom column.

Three ways to clear a custom date:

1) In edit metadata (single), click the "Clear" button under the box for the date.

2) In edit metadata (multiple), click the "Apply changes" box leaving the date empty.

3) In the spreadsheet view, change the date to year: 0101, month: 01, day: 01. (And no, there isn't a way to add a "clear button" here).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
'Unassign' a custom Number field

Since you had the answer to Date.

How do you blank (Not just set it to Zero) a Custom Column number field (in my case #pages) ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Since you had the answer to Date.

How do you blank (Not just set it to Zero) a Custom Column number field (in my case #pages) ?
set it to -1000000, or use the process described in the thread Reset book's numeric field to blank.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
set it to -1000000, or use the process described in the thread Reset book's numeric field to blank.

I had missed that one
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
...And no, there isn't a way to add a "clear button" here).
If that situation were to change, it would be cute to have a "today's date" button too

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
HFC3
Enthusiast
HFC3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
This doesn't work for custom date fields. The "date" field clearly visible in the Metadata window appears to be an Calibre record create date. Clearing that with the recycle icon works, but doesn't help with the same issue on other, custom, date fields.

I noticed the "Tag" metadata drop down. This is showing some of my custom fields, but not all. I know why a column built from another column wouldn't appear - I purposely didn't pic the option that indicated the new field would behave like a tag.

But, but there are is one date and number custom field type, neither of which specify "behave like tag". So, no column created as a date or number types are appearing in the tag list.

Where do you access them that has a recycle icon to clear the value?

???
HFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFC3 View Post
This doesn't work for custom date fields. The "date" field clearly visible in the Metadata window appears to be an Calibre record create date. Clearing that with the recycle icon works, but doesn't help with the same issue on other, custom, date fields.

I noticed the "Tag" metadata drop down. This is showing some of my custom fields, but not all. I know why a column built from another column wouldn't appear - I purposely didn't pic the option that indicated the new field would behave like a tag.

But, but there are is one date and number custom field type, neither of which specify "behave like tag". So, no column created as a date or number types are appearing in the tag list.

Where do you access them that has a recycle icon to clear the value?

???
Custom Date columns come with a 'Clear Date' button in the metadata editor

You can't have a 'date' list tag . Tags lists are TEXT (includes digits)
Old 07-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
HFC3
Enthusiast

Ah. That's in the "Custom Metadata" tab.

Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can clear a date in the spreadsheet by highlighting the field, then press F2-enter

You can set a date in the spreadsheet to today by highlighting the field, then press F2=enter

Much easier than clicking buttons in metadata edit.

BR
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
HFC3
Enthusiast

No true, if by "Spreadsheet" is the main Calibre display table - F2 and blanking the date just replaces the original value when you press >Enter<. That was the first thing I tried.

If that's not what you mean, then why would modifying spreadsheet have any effect on the Calibre table?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
BetterRed meant: Press F2, make sure all the text is selected, press the "-" key and then press enter. That will clear the date. Pressing the "=" key with set it to the current date.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
BetterRed meant: Press F2, make sure all the text is selected, press the "-" key and then press enter. That will clear the date. Pressing the "=" key with set it to the current date.
BR meant exactly what he wrote

After I press F2 on ANY editable cell in the spreadsheet the content of the cell is always selected - to un-select it I must press home, end, left arrow or right arrow.

There is no need to check anything. To clear a date just press the F2 key, followed by the '-' key, followed by the Enter key; use the '=' to set to today. If you change your mind exit the cell edit with Escape.

BR