Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Telnet to reader

I would like to access the PRS-T1 via telnet.

I found a free apk called Android Developer Shell, which install just fine.

After bringing up the network connection and starting the app, it tells me, that it is listening on it's (correct) ip address on port 3550. However, trying to reach it from my Linux box fails.
Checking further, I can't even ping the reader, while I can ping the Linux box ok from the reader.
Digging a bit deeper, I found out, that there is quite a lot of commands available through busybox (including telnetd, actually, but I don't know yet, how to start it here), so I even could login on my Linux box from the reader.

This is my first Android device, so forgive me for asking maybe stupid questions. Is there some sort of firewall running on the reader blocking any kind of incoming traffic? I can ping and access several machines within my LAN/WLAN just fine, my router shows the reader as connected, so it stunns me, that I even can't ping it.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Think you're going down path, I think it will be simpler if you look into connecting to adb over tcp.

Haven't tried it, but I assume this widget is basically doing the same thing in friendly UI.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
sonic74
sonic74 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Think you're going down path, I think it will be simpler if you look into connecting to adb over tcp.
...which doesn't work for the very same reason. But it and ping (and presumably telnet) work after entering
Code:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
sonic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
sonic74

...or modify /system/etc/firewall.sh
Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

I'm in :-)

Welcome sonic74 and thanks for your input.

Code:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
just does the trick.

To keep the connection open, I start a ping (to my router) in the Terminal emulator and then switch it into the background.

After that I managed to login through telnet once the beforementioned Android Development Shell was running. However, the connection was lagging a LOT (sometimes 30-50 seconds for a response), so no joy.

DroidSSHd is a package of approximately the same size and gives you easy access via ssh (dropbear). Very nice.

I still would like to safe the space and get telnetd to accept incoming calls. Server and client do talk to each other, but the connection gets closed right away, no login procedure.

server
Code:
busybox telnetd -p 5331 -F
client
Code:
telnet 192.168.4.105 5331
Telnet escape character is '^D'.
Trying 192.168.4.105...
Connected to 192.168.4.105.
Escape character is '^D'.

Connection closed by foreign host.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
sonic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
However, the connection was lagging a LOT (sometimes 30-50 seconds for a response), so no joy.
I have very strange Wifi problems with the PRS-T1: Even with the built-in browser I have extremely unreliable connections (2/3 packet loss) with a Telekom Speedport W 722V (802.11n), a D-Link DWL-900AP+ (802.11b) and a Centrino 5100-based notebook with Windows 7's SoftAP. Only with the Samsung i9100 SoftAP, a T-Mobile HotSpot and an Asus WL-500G Premium (802.11g) I have reliable Wifi without any lag. I'd really want to know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Server and client do talk to each other, but the connection gets closed right away, no login procedure.
Perhaps a wrong/missing login binary?

Last edited by sonic74; 12-06-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
vishcompany
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic74 View Post
I have very strange Wifi problems with the PRS-T1: Even with the built-in browser I have extremely unreliable connections (2/3 packet loss) with a Telekom Speedport W 722V (802.11n), a D-Link DWL-900AP+ (802.11b) and a Centrino 5100-based notebook with Windows 7's SoftAP. Only with the Samsung i9100 SoftAP, a T-Mobile HotSpot and an Asus WL-500G Premium (802.11g) I have reliable Wifi without any lag. I'd really want to know why.
I'm running mine in various wifi environments (home and office AP's) without any problem. It's fast.
However, using my mobile as a hotspot fails completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic74 View Post
Perhaps a wrong/missing login binary?
Yes, maybe.
I'm fine with dropbear for now.
Just thought, that ADS might use the built-in telnetd, but appearantly it's using it's own d. The package is as big as sshd.