Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Tor

Does Tor actually sell ebooks? Or publish ebooks, for purchase on other sites? If so, where? Of their free ebook offerings, I actually read one all the way through and liked it, John Scalzi's "Old Man's War". It's part of a trilogy. All right, the free bait hooked me, and so I'm ready to purchase the other two. Here's my money... but no one wants to take it. I don't see any ebook options on the Tor/Forge MacMillan website.

What's the story? I see that there is a Kindle edition of "The Ghost Brigades", which tells me that the book has been published electronically, but certainly not just to Kindle owners?

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-18-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently, they do publish ebooks, but only for Amazon/Kindle. This is the kind of thing that drives people to piracy. TOR can make ebooks. They have made ebooks. They have made these books as ebooks. They only provide them, though, to Amazon, who only makes them available to Kindle owners. I want to smash and sue and boycott Tor and email Scalzi.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's not true. You can find Tor books on Fictionwise. Search for a publisher called holtzbrinck.

There isn't much, though this could be a result of Fictionwise needing to upgrade their website.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

That publisher isn't even in the list of publishers on FictionWise. A search for "Scalzi, John", only shows the first book, "Old Man's War", which was already given away as a free ebook from TOR. The next in the series, The Ghost Brigades, is available to Kindle owners but not, apparently to anyone else in the ebook universe.

The third book is only available, apparently, in hardcover.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-19-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it is. I'm looking at a list right now.

I found it under Advanced Search.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Does Tor actually sell ebooks? Or publish ebooks, for purchase on other sites? If so, where? Of their free ebook offerings, I actually read one all the way through and liked it, John Scalzi's "Old Man's War". It's part of a trilogy. All right, the free bait hooked me, and so I'm ready to purchase the other two. Here's my money... but no one wants to take it. I don't see any ebook options on the Tor/Forge MacMillan website.

What's the story? I see that there is a Kindle edition of "The Ghost Brigades", which tells me that the book has been published electronically, but certainly not just to Kindle owners?
Good question.

Tor is certainly aware of ebooks. Tor CEO Tom Doherty was a friend and former boss of the late Jim Baen on Baen books. He was aware of what Jim was doing with the Webscriptions program, and at one point had put together a deal with Jim to offer Tor content over Webscriptions, and things had progressed enough for both companies to announce it.

Unfortunately, Tor is a unit of the German outfit Holtzbrinck (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_v...blishing_Group), and Tor's corporate parent pulled the plug on the deal when they discovered Webscriptions books were not protected by DRM. Cue much annoyance all around.

Holtzbrinck seems to have rethought its opposition, and things may be moving again. But offhand, I'd say Tor is in the process of figuring out the best way to do it, and I see part of Tor's ebook offer as a test of the market for electronic editions and the acceptance of particular electronic formats. (I have no doubt someone is tracking numbers of downloads of each format.)

There may also be contracts to be amended to permit Tor to offer electronic editions, if an author's contract doesn't explicitly provide for that.

And the trilogy Old Man's War is a part of is definitely worth it, even if you must resort to paper.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

I searched Fictionwise and couldn't find anything else from Scalzi apart from OMW.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

On any page of Fictionwise, in the upper left hand corner, there is a search box. Below the box is a link to Advanced Search.

You can search by publisher, and one that will work is holtzbrinck.

P.S. I just went looking for OMW, and Fictionwise screwed up. They listed it with the wrong publisher.I guess this means who the hell knows what you'll find if you look for it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:

Found it... but not the particular book I'm wanting. The point of my rant is that this book is available as an e-book, but only as a Kindle Edition through Amazon. That's what gets my blood boiling.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
And the trilogy Old Man's War is a part of is definitely worth it, even if you must resort to paper.
______
Dennis
I'm not going to have book one as an ebook, book two as a lousy paperback, and book three as a bulky, overpriced hardcover. I'll just move on to another author, and try to remember Scalzi as well worth a read if/when he has a publisher willing to get their act together.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It's also in Topaz, so it's DRMed up the wazoo. If someone bought you a copy, you couldn't use it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
On any page of Fictionwise, in the upper left hand corner, there is a search box. Below the box is a link to Advanced Search.

You can search by publisher, and one that will work is holtzbrinck.

P.S. I just went looking for OMW, and Fictionwise screwed up. They listed it with the wrong publisher.I guess this means who the hell knows what you'll find if you look for it.
I can only find OMW and nothing else. This is way to weird

And I tried search by author, title (every title by Scalzi), click on "by John Scalzi" on OMW page - and one big nothing.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Yes, the problem you're having is caused by the crappy software that Fictionwise is using to run the website.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Do you know what I want from TOR? I want the works of James White as ebooks. He wrote a series of novels and short stories set in a multi species hospital. Most are SF medical mysteries, with solutions dependent on some intricate detail of an alien species' anatomy or psychology.

None of his work is available in electronic form. I would gladly pay for a legitimate copy. Unfortunately, TOR doesn't want my money.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Link please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote