Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
E-paper screen contrast is about right

I was showing my Sony Reader (Eink pearl display) to my coworkers yesterday, and several commented that the background was more gray than white. They even compared the screen to a printed A4 sheet (something we produce a lot of here) and indeed the difference is striking.

But then I compared the screen to a few books I keep at work to read at lunchtime, and I realized the background of these books is far from white too, more something between light gray and light yellow.

Of course, it makes sense to use a soft contrast on printed novels: these books are for peaceful entertainment, not like business printouts and textbooks that have a bright white background to promote the crisp, aggressive display of utilitarian information. This may also be why I never really liked reading printed-out ebooks as much as "proper" books. It makes sense to me now, but funnily enough, I never realized it before.

So I'd say Eink "pearl" displays are almost right for reading a novel. Perhaps they could be a tad whiter, but I wouldn't want them much brighter than what they are now. Would you?

Or even better, they could create E-paper with enough shades of gray that the background could be adjusted from screaming white (to read technical documents, newspapers and textbooks) to soft, creamy, I'm-about-to-fall-asleep-on-my-book kind of white to read novels by the fireplace.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I entirely agree with you.

As well as reading on my Kindle, I also read a lot with the "iBooks" app on the iPad, which lets you adjust the colours. I always read with the "sepia" background colour; it's more restful on the eyes than pure white.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastolfe View Post
to soft, creamy, I'm-about-to-fall-asleep-on-my-book kind of white to read novels by the fireplace.
Oh the picture you paint ! I wanna stretch out on that bearskin rug right now...
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I have to disagree. I find myself needing more light than I would having to read a book.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I think the paper used for books is affected more by financial considerations than ergonomic design. The cheaper the paper, the less white it will be.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I think the paper used for books is affected more by financial considerations than ergonomic design. The cheaper the paper, the less white it will be.
Not too sure about that. I'd agree in the case of soft covers and cheap Harlequins, but most hardcovers I have are quite expensive, the paper they're made of doesn't look cheap, and the off-white background color seems very even and doesn't yellow with age as cheap books do. I mean, for the price these books are sold for, surely if they wanted them whiter, they could have afforded an extra bucket of chlorine in the pulp vat.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My Sony 650 seems to have very good contrast in very good light, the background - as you note - very close to as good as many paper books. The real difference, that I definitely notice, is that the contrast is rapidly lost when the light is not so good - even by relatively small amounts. The black is not so black and the "white" now a much darker gray. As someone switching back and forth between paper books and Sony reader this is a difference that I find very noticeable and it puts the reader at a distinct disadvantage to my no longer perfect eyes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Or even better, they could create E-paper with enough shades of gray that the background could be adjusted from screaming white (to read technical documents, newspapers and textbooks) to soft, creamy, I'm-about-to-fall-asleep-on-my-book kind of white to read novels by the fireplace.

The Next Papyrus PageOne actually has an adjustable contrast. when you select between Highest/High/Normal it actually tweaks the "gamma" setting for the image/page. it is more noticeable in pictures but even with just text you can see the difference between highest and low.

my understanding is that page turn and battery life are effected buy choosing the higher settings but I havent actually noticed a difference. of course the pageone has an absolutely huge battery so ...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree that the Pearl generation is good enough. There still is room for improvement but the issue of eyestrain, to me, under proper reading light is a non-issue. Put it this way, I'd rather have a larger more-portable (roll-up?) screen than higher contrast if that was the choice.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I have things to do today that demand a degree of energy and here you go with your knack for words.

I'll need to have another coffee just to survive the image of the fireplace setting you've described.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
I was showing my Sony Reader (Eink pearl display) to my coworkers yesterday, and several commented that the background was more gray than white. They even compared the screen to a printed A4 sheet (something we produce a lot of here) and indeed the difference is striking.
Here's the best comparison I can make between a printed, average-quality, magazine (Newsweek), my jetBook, and my K3. They're different, and the jetBook (which is adequate for my purposes) is the least readable. The Pearl-screened K3 is just a hair shy of the printed page, IMO.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0966.png
Views:	225
Size:	819.9 KB
ID:	63503  
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Kitabi
Connoisseur
Kitabi is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I am actually quite happy with my Nook's background color - it is roughly the same cream color as books. However, I am told that this is a feature of the Vizplex generation screens. The new Pearl screens have that gray background color. I have seen that on the Kindle 3. I haven't seen any Sony's so can not comment.
Kitabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
The Pearl-screened K3 is just a hair shy of the printed page, IMO.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
After spending some time last night reading with the K3, I've reached the same conclusion.

Another element that adds to the illusion is the screen's texture. At an angle, it almost seems like a slightly glossy piece of card stock, which gives the impression that it's very delicate and scratch-prone.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
My Sony 650 seems to have very good contrast in very good light, the background - as you note - very close to as good as many paper books. The real difference, that I definitely notice, is that the contrast is rapidly lost when the light is not so good - even by relatively small amounts. The black is not so black and the "white" now a much darker gray. As someone switching back and forth between paper books and Sony reader this is a difference that I find very noticeable and it puts the reader at a distinct disadvantage to my no longer perfect eyes.
This is basically my experience, too - under good lighting, the e-ink screen is as good as paper on my k3; under less good lighting, it's worse. Upgrading my reading lights from 75 watts to 100 watts made a big difference for me - reading the e-ink under 100 watts was like reading paper under 75 watts...i.e., perfect.

However, when I'm not at home, I don't always have such optimal reading conditions. So there is still room for improvement.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
smith3532
smith3532 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
A newspaper has a contrast ratio of 11:1 while the Pearl E-Ink screen has a ratio of 10:1. What I notice is that the white background is more greyish on the Kindle, but the black "ink" is more intensely black. Offset printing always looks faded to me, especially with water-based ink. The new Pearl screen isn't as good as the best hand-printed letterpress books, but to my eyes it's as good as the mass-market stuff.
smith3532 is offline   Reply With Quote