Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #27151
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Maybe you should say you think you restored most of the files? In case you did manage to miss a few. Besides, it'll keep her nervous, which is what you want, for future behavior!

But on the whole, Well Played, friend!
Thanks I'm pretty sure I can restore everyting, except for the files she put on the hard disk, did not share through dropbox, and wiped from the laptop. Those files are zapped.

If it turns out a picture or movie is missing, then it's quite easy for me: "So that file didn't recover. Sorry, bad luck. Be happy you lost one file, and not 4,5 years of pictures and movies."
Katsunami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #27152
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, LG Volt, & an iPod Nano.
If I mean to write "too" I'll swipe over the "o" twice. My dear Swype keyboard, how hard is that for you to understand?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #27153
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made + Kobo Aura + Nexus7.2!
Cats ... the final frontier .... will be the death of me ....

So, sharing a house with 3 felines leads one to develop curious habits ... such as locking the prescription meds in a hall closet, since Stella cat can (and does) open all cabinet doors ... and can chew off a 'child-proof' cap... and has (fortunately) survived several occasions of swallowing human meds ...

Tonight I had opened the closet door for my after-dinner meds and made sure I had securely latched it shut. Later, hearing rattling noises, I discovered Stella cat lying on the floor, pushing her paws under the closet door and trying to open it. Goldie was right beside her. I shooed them away a couple of times, and then got out the can of compressed air, snuck up, and blasted Stella with it -- she shot half-way up the door.

After a brief lull, Stella was right back worrying at the door. I decided to take a more direct approach and yanked the door open shouting "Here! It's open now! Are you satisfied?"

And was mortified when Sammie cat scurried out from the closet ...

It seems that Sammie cat had snuck into the closet and gotten locked in -- she loves hiding in closets and never makes any noise when she gets locked in. Poor Stella was trying, in her best Lassie fashion, to tell me that Sammie was trapped! And she was trying to rescue Sammie!

So now I have:
Sammie cat sulking over her incarceration
Stella cat pretending to be terrified of me and running away from me
Goldie cat just plain confused

Sigh, time for the BIG bag of treats ....

The Moral of this tale? You can always depend on your cats to make you look, act, and feel like a total fool ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #27154
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time for a cat-harsis methinks... for all of you.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #27155
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Time for a cat-harsis methinks... for all of you.
Hairballs instead of hubris?

But yes - a group hug followed by lots of lap time .... sigh
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #27156
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

<snip>

The Moral of this tale? You can always depend on your cats to make you look, act, and feel like a total fool ....
I can't say that we've had any real Lassie action around here, but lock a cat in a closet? Oh, yeah. You have my sincere sympathies, and given the nasty E Coast weather, I sure hope you have MANY treats! ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #27157
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

So, sharing a house with 3 felines leads one to develop curious habits ... such as locking the prescription meds in a hall closet, since Stella cat can (and does) open all cabinet doors ... and can chew off a 'child-proof' cap... and has (fortunately) survived several occasions of swallowing human meds ...

Tonight I had opened the closet door for my after-dinner meds and made sure I had securely latched it shut. Later, hearing rattling noises, I discovered Stella cat lying on the floor, pushing her paws under the closet door and trying to open it. Goldie was right beside her. I shooed them away a couple of times, and then got out the can of compressed air, snuck up, and blasted Stella with it -- she shot half-way up the door.

After a brief lull, Stella was right back worrying at the door. I decided to take a more direct approach and yanked the door open shouting "Here! It's open now! Are you satisfied?"

And was mortified when Sammie cat scurried out from the closet ...

It seems that Sammie cat had snuck into the closet and gotten locked in -- she loves hiding in closets and never makes any noise when she gets locked in. Poor Stella was trying, in her best Lassie fashion, to tell me that Sammie was trapped! And she was trying to rescue Sammie!

So now I have:
Sammie cat sulking over her incarceration
Stella cat pretending to be terrified of me and running away from me
Goldie cat just plain confused

Sigh, time for the BIG bag of treats ....

Stella's going to get you for that, mark my word. Cats are not ones to let an affront pass unnoticed, and the fact that she's a druggie makes her even more dangerous.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #27158
orlok
Finish that damn book!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle 6"
Quote:
I had to snigger over that one .

Just a few days ago I went into our bathroom (door kept firmly closed at all time to keep errant cats out), and opened the laundry basket (solid heavy lid), and was about to dump a load of washing into it when I got the fright of my life (me? exaggerate?) as this ginger and white furball suddenly leapt out of the basket and streaked for freedom. How do they do it?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #27159
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck

Intruder alert! We had a home invasion this morning. When I let Norton outside earlier I left the outside door to our garage open and a Tomcat got in looking for Friday (she's in heat).
Old 02-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #27160
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
It feels like I'm getting another cold, at least I hope it's a cold and not the flu my mother's had. Just a month after my last cold, too.

I'm going to make a nice mug of one of my favourite teas, I've already switched on the electrical blanket on my bed, so I can curl up and watch something on tv.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #27161
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Intruder alert! We had a home invasion this morning. When I let Norton outside earlier I left the outside door to our garage open and a Tomcat got in looking for Friday (she's in heat).
Moses on a pony! You breed? I could never take having a cat in heat. Been there, done that. The yowling would drive me mad. That, and, of course, having to battle your way in and out of the house for days!

Did you get the tom out? I take it the deed is not done?

Hitch
Old 02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #27162
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Not mobile responsive? Really?

Perhaps I've missed something, but...I tried to visit MR the other day, while plopped in the waiting room for something, and...

is it correct that the MR website is NOT RESPONSIVE? To mobile browsers? Realy? Am I the only one who finds that remarkably ironic?

I'm sure that by now, VBulletin (the forum software that MR uses) should have a responsive fix out. No? Anyone know? Any mods here who know? I couldn't read this site on my HTC1 to save my life.

Hitch
Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #27163
Katsunami
Wizard

AFAIK, MobileRead is not responsive; not even on the desktop when making the window smaller. Responsiveness is not up to VBulletin. It is up to the developer/maintainer of the theme that is in use. I assume MR's theme is not the default VBulletin theme? It could be; I don't know. I've never used VBulletin myself. The two forums I maintained in the past used PHPBB and SMF (Simple Machines Forum). When I maintained the first, responsiveness for mobile devices wasn't an issue (this was pre-2007), and later, for the second forum, being responsive would have been useless.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #27164
Katsunami
Wizard

By the way: update regarding the Brother label printer.

Someone at customer care of the store woke up, after I sent them the message that I would start sending out complaints to consumer authorities and posting bad reviews at prominent review sites if nobody started to fix this problem by Friday Feb 12.

They finally gave me a call to get this fixed. After I told them the story, they went to check it out and then called me back.

"Brother gave you the wrong number. That is the case number, not a ticket number. They never created the RMA ticket and thus won't accept a direct swap from us."
- "To be honest, I don't really care. There is no way for me to know this. I followed your procedure, which is convoluted as it is, and provided you the number Brother gave me. You have checked that this number indeed exists at Brother's customer care, and that should be enough."

OK, the lady on the other end of the line told me she understood, and that it was very inconvenient and such, so she offered that I could send the device back to the store (at their cost), and that they would, in one way or another, get a correctly working device back to me in a 'reasonable amount of time'. She wanted to know if I agreed with this offer.

Well yes. Wasn't that what I was asking from the start? The store doesn't need to do a one-to-one swap (it is not required by law), but they do need to resolve the problem in some sort of customer friendly way with no extra costs to me.

It seems they're finally going to do so. Now I'm just hoping that 'a reasonable amount of time' is not going to be 7 months. (The law states: about 10 working days.)

=== ===

So, the laptop is fixed.
My sister has got a new backup.
I put that same backup onto my mom's external drive.
The label printer is (hopefully) going to be fixed.

It was a very productive 'holiday', calling companies back and forth, getting stuck at home waiting for the technicians, and fixing other people's backups.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-14-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #27165
poohbear_nc
Where Did 2015 Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Perhaps I've missed something, but...I tried to visit MR the other day, while plopped in the waiting room for something, and...

is it correct that the MR website is NOT RESPONSIVE? To mobile browsers? Realy? Am I the only one who finds that remarkably ironic?

I'm sure that by now, VBulletin (the forum software that MR uses) should have a responsive fix out. No? Anyone know? Any mods here who know? I couldn't read this site on my HTC1 to save my life.

Hitch
The .mobile version of MR is crap ... most folks use Tapatalk to access it on devices ...

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness