Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #31
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It is REALLY SIMPLE to do, but you do NOT use the v5setup.bin file for that. You need to download just the CoolReader executable image:
http://files.mail.ru/ZNH9BA

When you unzip and untar that file down to the .cr3 folder, just copy that .cr3 folder to the root of your internal storage or to the root of your SD storage. The next time that you start CoolReader it will look for that folder and launch itself from there instead of from the CoolReader image inside the firmware. It is a really handy way to try new CoolReader features without having to reflash the entire firmware. Not sure that I would want to have to do that all the time, but it is one way that I can have the latest CoolReader and still have the bookshelf settings option for display control.
Ok, a silly question: do it works on Astak firmware too?
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #32
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
soooo.... can anyone confirm that the latest version v5setup-cr3-20100528 works ok? And connection with computer issue is solved?

i am following the discussion on the russian forum, but its getting a bit too technical for me...

by the way, if anyone needs any translation from russian, let me know and i will do my best to help.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #33
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Ok, a silly question: do it works on Astak firmware too?
I have no idea, but you can try it and find out for yourself.
http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE for the 5" PocketPRO.

IF it works you can check and verify that CoolReader version 3.0.30 is the one that runs.

Last edited by Dave_S; 05-29-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: ADDED CR3 VERSION NUMBER
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #34
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
soooo.... can anyone confirm that the latest version v5setup-cr3-20100528 works ok? And connection with computer issue is solved?
My Google translated reading of the Russian forum looks like v5setup-cr3-20100528.zip is getting mixed reviews. I do not seem to be alone in not liking the Chinese base package that Buggins built that CoolReader version on. IMHO, I much prefer v5setup-cr3-20100513.zip. From there, you can try Buggins' latest CoolReader release (http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE) by putting it in the /.cr3 folder on your SD card or in your internal storage.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
I have no idea, but you can try it and find out for yourself.
http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE for the 5" PocketPRO.

IF it works you can check and verify that CoolReader version 3.0.30 is the one that runs.
Aww, i just test it, and dont work
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #36
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
My Google translated reading of the Russian forum looks like v5setup-cr3-20100528.zip is getting mixed reviews. I do not seem to be alone in not liking the Chinese base package that Buggins built that CoolReader version on. IMHO, I much prefer v5setup-cr3-20100513.zip. From there, you can try Buggins' latest CoolReader release (http://files.mail.ru/2DL7PE) by putting it in the /.cr3 folder on your SD card or in your internal storage.
Hi Dave,

I'm not challenging you on your choice of 5/13 vs. 5/20 (as roll-back alternatives to the 5/28 firmware), but I'm curious what factored into your decision. I'm not sure if I've tried the 5/13 at all as yet. I tried the 5/28 and it just didn't feel right. So, for now I'm running 5/20 and it seems to be doing OK.

Thanks mate!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #37
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
So, for now I'm running 5/20 and it seems to be OK.
Can you access the PocketPRO's internal storage from your PC with 520?
I can not do that with 520, so that is why my most recent best is 513.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Any clue from the Russian forum readers if they intend to add the ability to create a Favorite Books list? That seems to me to be one of the huge gaps in the Astak firmware, and I haven't seen it in any of the alternatives yet either. Seems like it would be easy--stick "Add to Favorites" to the File Tools popup menu you get when you hold down a key on a file (the one with Delete and Copy), and then on the top level of the file browsing, along with "Recent Files" having a "Favorites" directory (which hopefully would contain more than the mere 8 that the Recent Files hangs on to).

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-29-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #39
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
Any clue from the Russian forum readers if they intend to add the ability to create a Favorite Books list?.
i haven't came across any discussion on this when reading there. I will check it out in more detail.

Silly question, but is there a way to check from my PP what version have i got installed at the moment?
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #40
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
i haven't came across any discussion on this when reading there. I will check it out in more detail.

Silly question, but is there a way to check from my PP what version have i got installed at the moment?
Well, if you actually can write messages in Russian (I certainly can't), then suggest it.

I mean Astak's Achilles heel is the lack of a backing database on the unit, or any kind of on-unit book sorting or searching utility. That's unlikely to be overcome, so the next best thing is simply being able to SAVE pointers to your most wanted books with some ease. Sure, somebody's going to come along and remind us that you can always move files around to do this, but honestly... why should it be that complicated? An "Add to Favorites" would do the same thing in effect, and without messing up whatever normal sort order/directory structure you normally use (I have Calibre pop letter specific directories down, A-Z, stemming from the last name of each author, then add author specific directories underneath each letter--thereby preventing me from having to hit the "Page Down" button a thousand times or so to find a specific author who falls later in the Alphabet... this is of course only necessary because I insist on having the majority of my ebook collection on my unit at all times).
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #41
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
I couldn't connect to anything with 520. My Ubuntu linux couldn't see either drive.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 AM   #42
Xochipilli2012
Zealot
Xochipilli2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600, Slate Blue Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Understood.

Yes--I also could not access the device via USB when the 5/20 firmware was running. So, I rolled back to 5/13 as well. Thanks for the explanation, mate!

Cheers!
Xochipilli2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #43
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
The major differences I noticed were as follows:
- With 520, faster opening of fb2 than with version 513 but no connectivity whatsoever with any Windows version, and the display adjustments seem to be more pronounced with 520

- With 528, connectivity is back but no font changes for menu, and I had problems with other fonts in fb2 books as well and someone mentioned on the Russian forum also no file open/copy/delete and when first loaded, the menus are in Russian and the whole firmware update just does not "feel right" as Xochipilli2012 mentioned above. From what I could glean from the Russian forum is that 528 is heavily based on a Chinese version with some kind of bug in it that keeps getting passed down to newer firmware versions.
528 also does not have the display contrast option any longer.
And as Dave_S pointed out, Buggins mentioned on the Russion forum that his V5 reader is broke, so I suspect there may not be any usable firmware updates forthcoming from him for a while since he can't check them :-(

Last edited by booknut; 05-30-2010 at 11:24 AM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 AM   #44
Dave_S
What Title ?

Issues with 528 firmware seem to be resolved

Buggins responded to the complaints about the 528 firmware on the Russian forum. He repackaged CoolReader 3.0.30 with the more full featured bookshelf application in a new firmware package v5setup-cr3-20100531.zip. I have just loaded it and I have no PC USB connection problems with it, and it also retains the "Display" contrast setting ability in the bookshelf application. At first glance, this one seems to be my new favorite.

http://files.mail.ru/3TEE3Q
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 AM   #45
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
thanks, grabbing it now
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote